Search found 29 matches

by jim_from_texas
Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:04 pm
Forum: Air Canada
Topic: Air Canada Career Path
Replies: 40
Views: 19879

Re: Air Canada Career Path

Not in China, or Korea and definitely not self justifying. Just reading your last few bragging posts so I thought I'd chip in and deflate your ego. But if you're on the "syoupa" 380 your ego is not too surprising.
by jim_from_texas
Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:35 am
Forum: Air Canada
Topic: Air Canada Career Path
Replies: 40
Views: 19879

Re: Air Canada Career Path

I've found that a lot of expats living in the middle east have to keep telling themselves how good they have it, just to keep sane. I mean, who the fk would want to spend 20-30 years in the middle of the desert? Yeah, you get compensated alright, but not so good like you want us to believe. As far a...
by jim_from_texas
Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:28 am
Forum: Air Canada
Topic: Air Canada Interviews
Replies: 844
Views: 228441

Re: Air Canada Interviews

''$182.30 x 77.5 hrs = $14128.25 per month/$169539 per year for a 12th year LCC B767 Capt''

Someone please tell me that these numbers are off by at least $50000? Pathetic!!
by jim_from_texas
Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:09 pm
Forum: Air Canada
Topic: Air Canada pilot retirements
Replies: 9
Views: 2809

Re: Air Canada pilot retirements

How junior do EMB capt positions tend to go, YYZ base?
by jim_from_texas
Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:52 am
Forum: Air Canada
Topic: Air Canada pilot retirements
Replies: 9
Views: 2809

Re: Air Canada pilot retirements

thanks. With the new aircraft orders will the company expand or just replace old aircraft? I guess what I'm getting at is, will the new pilot hiring numbers be just for retirement or expansion as well?
by jim_from_texas
Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:02 pm
Forum: Air Canada
Topic: Air Canada pilot retirements
Replies: 9
Views: 2809

Air Canada pilot retirements

Hi,

Anyone know projected retirement numbers for AC pilots in the coming years?

Thanks
by jim_from_texas
Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:54 pm
Forum: Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express
Topic: Jazz & Thomas Cook = 6 757's
Replies: 134
Views: 22374

Re: Jazz & Thomas Cook = 6 757's

I hope that pilots will come from current Jazz pilots. In all probability in the seniority order, as it should be. No disrespect intended but it will be interesting to see how a 55 year old capt Dash 8 YVR base, 25 years just flying tprops will handle the transition to international jet flying. Seni...
by jim_from_texas
Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:07 am
Forum: General Comments
Topic: TSB: Pilots Need More Training (KFC Incident July '08)
Replies: 28
Views: 3493

Re: TSB: Pilots Need More Training (KFC Incident July '08)

We do bounced landing recovery practice in the sim (MD11). Definitely not a useless exercise, tailstrike very likely if you dont freeze the pitch at 10deg.
by jim_from_texas
Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:00 pm
Forum: Employment Forum
Topic: WTF am I doing working as a 'Professional' Pilot?
Replies: 19
Views: 2367

Re: WTF am I doing working as a 'Professional' Pilot?

Sure, not everyone wants big jets. Now that Im flying heavies I really miss those BE20 or Dash 8 days. But at least the money is good and yes I am away from my bed 10-12 days per month. Being from YVR I know that there are good positions flying floats, turboprops, waterbombers. Starting pay is not t...
by jim_from_texas
Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:16 pm
Forum: Employment Forum
Topic: WTF am I doing working as a 'Professional' Pilot?
Replies: 19
Views: 2367

Re: WTF am I doing working as a 'Professional' Pilot?

It seems to me that some people come into aviation with great delusions and unrealistic expectations. Wouldn't it be great to fly a modern a/c based (.............) be home almost every night, start salary 100g+, widebody pic upgrade in 5 years salaray 200g+work 12 days a month? Im not saying that t...
by jim_from_texas
Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:37 pm
Forum: General Comments
Topic: Complaint to Nav Canada on ATC - worth it?
Replies: 26
Views: 3456

Re: Complaint to Nav Canada on ATC - worth it?

Awww shucks it really did. And please dont be offensive, Im not an American. Keep your ignorance in check.
by jim_from_texas
Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:50 pm
Forum: General Comments
Topic: Complaint to Nav Canada on ATC - worth it?
Replies: 26
Views: 3456

Re: Complaint to Nav Canada on ATC - worth it?

A few years ago we took off on a sched flight from a certain town in the Maritimes and the fss guy didn't realize his mic was still on and started cursing at us, using f.... you, fu...ng as....es, cursed at our nationality (he thought we were French) we weren't. We filed a complaint with our chief p...
by jim_from_texas
Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:26 pm
Forum: Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express
Topic: Logbook Certification
Replies: 1
Views: 1399

Re: Logbook Certification

I don't have my logbook handy but I think it was signed off by Alan Hay, that was a year ago. They have a company stamp so I believe any of the managment pilots could sign it off. I talked to Teri Dueck and she told me when he would be available.
by jim_from_texas
Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:49 pm
Forum: General Airline Industry Comments
Topic: Degree
Replies: 21
Views: 3271

Re: Degree

Even though I don't have a degree I would encourage anyone wanting a career in aviation to get one so it's there at least as a back up. Now having said that, I have always had a problem with people saying that having a degree shows your commitment and ability to learn. Ok fine, it is also obvious th...
by jim_from_texas
Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:44 pm
Forum: General Comments
Topic: Thrill of Flying Jumbo Jets
Replies: 20
Views: 3720

Same here. I've done regional 4-8 sectors a day and now I'm flying long haul with a good mix of short sectors. With the regionals I used to get 30-40 landings a month and now 4 if I'm lucky. Usually hand fly to 10000ft and disconnect at about 2000. The dumbest thing you can do is disconnect in bad w...
by jim_from_texas
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:04 am
Forum: WestJet
Topic: WestJet plane in near miss at L.A. airport
Replies: 38
Views: 9538

In YVR it is normal to switch from ground to tower on departure without being told to do so. Go on the tower freq, sit there and keep quiet until spoken to.
by jim_from_texas
Wed May 16, 2007 9:38 pm
Forum: Air Canada
Topic: THE REAL STORY?
Replies: 3
Views: 1914

Excellent question. Good enough to fly RJ, Dash yet pfod by the mainline and then accepted by WJ or Cathay. I suppose some will argue ''how can you compare AC with the likes of WJ and Cathay''?! Maybe one of AC requirements is the ability to walk in a straight line without diverting your eyes and ev...
by jim_from_texas
Tue May 15, 2007 5:04 am
Forum: Air Canada
Topic: Airline Pay
Replies: 12
Views: 4092

If you want GBR base then you will pay for the benefit of living there but Ryanair has more then a dozen bases throughout Europe where life is nowhere near as expensive. Sort of like paying for the benefit to live in YVR and the west coast. Try buying a house in YVR are on a regional pilot salary.
by jim_from_texas
Fri May 11, 2007 9:40 pm
Forum: WestJet
Topic: wide bodies
Replies: 11
Views: 4800

Currently sim training in London with BA: Retired BA 747 capt., retired (?)Cathay 747 capt., Atlas 747 Capt., 747 f/o from a major Asian airline. All of these guys are coming in as f\os although the first 3 can expect the left seat with the arrival of new planes in a few months which by the way are ...
by jim_from_texas
Thu May 10, 2007 7:45 am
Forum: WestJet
Topic: wide bodies
Replies: 11
Views: 4800

Hm, ex Singapore Airlines, ANA, 747s flown by ex Cathay, British Airways pilots some who have been skippys on a Concorde, ex. Red Arrows... It's a very exclusive club for now in the early stages. 2-3 trips a month, lots of time off, decent pay. I want in! Me thinks Mr. Express should get out of Flin...
by jim_from_texas
Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:08 pm
Forum: Employment Forum
Topic: Seneca grads to go direct entry Jazz & Mid East
Replies: 83
Views: 16790

Well the smart ones would go overseas (Asia) and get f/o and s/o spots on widebody ac. Flying for an airline with a solid and structured training as well as flying by the book(pretty much) large turboprop or rj will give them a good head start. When the times get tough bush guy will have to stick wi...
by jim_from_texas
Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:37 am
Forum: Air Canada
Topic: Hired without a degree?
Replies: 15
Views: 5326

Manfred, it hasn't been established for years. Canadian used to demand at least 2 year college but Air Canada has not put it as their minimums. So what other major do you speak of??
by jim_from_texas
Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:34 pm
Forum: Air Canada
Topic: Jazz Hiring
Replies: 100
Views: 21409

From what I know Jazz has a problem retaining pilots. If they hire guys with 250h these people will more then likely stay for a lot longer then someone with 4000-5000h who is qualified for AC,WJ or CX. So that's about 5-6 years of experience. By that time the industry will be in the downturn so they...
by jim_from_texas
Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:36 pm
Forum: Air Canada
Topic: AC interview for a Jazz pilot
Replies: 19
Views: 5185

AC interview for a Jazz pilot

I was just wondering if a pilot from Jazz gets interviewed with AC and passes, does he get the AC seniority number as of the interview date or do they have to wait for the AC class date a year or two down the road?
by jim_from_texas
Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:41 am
Forum: Employment Forum
Topic: North-Wright.....
Replies: 48
Views: 9104

Just how useful can a degree in psychology, engineering.... actually be 20 years later if you lose your medical? Why would anyone want to hire you for one of these positions when you don't have a day of experience ''psyching'' or engineering? If that were to happen to me I would just go to a trade s...

Go to advanced search