Search found 23 matches

by Sky Pilot
Sun May 22, 2011 9:18 pm
Forum: General Comments
Topic: Gee Bee Plans...
Replies: 20
Views: 5861

Re: Gee Bee Plans...

DOH! A Gee Bee is a low/mid wing monoplane capable of about 300 mph. About 75% of all Gee Bee pilots didn't make it back in one piece. But it looks like a fun and challenging bird. Probably a little hard on fuel. :wink:
by Sky Pilot
Thu May 19, 2011 9:01 pm
Forum: General Comments
Topic: VFR from Canada to USA
Replies: 7
Views: 2409

Re: VFR from Canada to USA

Thanks for all the help pilots. I checked it out and Butte Montana is directly on the flight path, as I live in Lloydminster. So that should work out amazingly well. I thought I might have to land at Sweetgrass or Shelby which would make 2 stops mandatory enroute. Travelling to the USA is a bit inti...
by Sky Pilot
Thu May 19, 2011 9:29 am
Forum: General Comments
Topic: VFR from Canada to USA
Replies: 7
Views: 2409

VFR from Canada to USA

I'm planning a trip from Alberta to Las Vegas. I've never crossed the US border in a private aircraft before. Can I clear customs at Shelby? What tips etc. Can you offer?
by Sky Pilot
Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:33 am
Forum: General Comments
Topic: Aeroweather app
Replies: 10
Views: 2200

Re: Aeroweather app

I just got the aeroweather app. Nice! Works real well on my iPhone 4. I'm with telus and on recent trip to YYZ it only worked in Winnipeg, T-Bay, Sault St. Marie, and Toronto. Spotty reception at best. But it works good all over Alberta.
by Sky Pilot
Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:06 pm
Forum: Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft
Topic: SnowBird Gear Up Landing at 15 Wing
Replies: 13
Views: 4226

Re: SnowBird Gear Up Landing at 15 Wing

flyinggreasemonkey wrote:Snowbirds are an embarrassment. Outdated aircraft and the worst accident record in the world for a military demonstration team. They need to be disbanded or massively upgraded ASAP before more good people die.
I've seen the snowbirds perform many times. Fantastic! Disregard "Grease Monkey" :shock:
by Sky Pilot
Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:58 pm
Forum: Flight Training
Topic: Serious answers where will I get funds from?
Replies: 132
Views: 268364

Re: Serious answers where will I get funds from?

LousyFisherman wrote:
100LL81 wrote:Umm work your ass off and earn the money you need.
+1
+2 (Go to Alberta, hard to work your ass off in Manitoba or BC, etc
by Sky Pilot
Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:55 pm
Forum: General Comments
Topic: How cold is to cold?
Replies: 28
Views: 5567

Re: How cold is to cold?

I found that a nice roll of silver foil tape adheres to the oil cooler fine and you just have to use trial and error to adjust how much you cover. Simple, and cheap. :)
by Sky Pilot
Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:20 pm
Forum: Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft
Topic: TSB Report on Lyall Harbour Beaver Accident
Replies: 8
Views: 2900

Re: TSB Report on Lyall Harbour Beaver Accident

The 206 has an optional front right-hand door mod that can be put in. I flew a 206 on floats without that, and I felt a bit claustrophobic. I would like to see the right-hand door mandatory for the seaplane 206. It's worth the $20,000.
by Sky Pilot
Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:16 pm
Forum: General Comments
Topic: Bush/Float Flying Hours
Replies: 9
Views: 1727

Re: Bush/Float Flying Hours

I did 900+ my first year, 600 on floats, and 300 on skis. That was over a 12 month period, 20 years ago. Trappers still trapped and used ski-planes. And tourism was crazy busy. In 2008 and 2009, I averaged about 400 hours. Last year, I quit flying and still racked up about 80 hours. Like the previou...
by Sky Pilot
Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:00 pm
Forum: Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service
Topic: Life Insurance
Replies: 11
Views: 1947

Re: Life Insurance

I just got a 500k policy for my company, permanent life. I told them that I am 43, a pilot with less than 100 hours, and a scuba diver. My rates are $300 per month but I am paying more than the original minimum because I want the policy to be self sustaining in about 20 years so I can flip it over ...
by Sky Pilot
Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:55 pm
Forum: General Comments
Topic: 99 cent Laser used to Attack Winnipeg cop chopper
Replies: 26
Views: 3263

Re: 99 cent Laser used to Attack Winnipeg cop chopper

Wow, Winnipig police force got themselves a chopper. Nice, too bad they can't afford the Jets :(
by Sky Pilot
Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:23 pm
Forum: Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft
Topic: Ouch - FedEx Caravan breaks fail - taxi's into trucks . . .
Replies: 13
Views: 3655

Re: Ouch - FedEx Caravan breaks fail - taxi's into trucks .

That sucks! I bet he had just shut his engine down too, so no reverse save....
by Sky Pilot
Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:59 pm
Forum: Flight Training
Topic: Serious answers where will I get funds from?
Replies: 132
Views: 268364

Re: Serious answers where will I get funds from?

Move to Alberta. Get a job in the patch. One of the outfits here just hired a mechanics helper for $28 hr. No experience.
by Sky Pilot
Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:56 pm
Forum: The Water Cooler
Topic: politically correct
Replies: 6
Views: 1080

Re: politically correct

Totally Dude. "The Men who hold high places, must be the ones to start...."
by Sky Pilot
Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:27 pm
Forum: General Comments
Topic: Obama proposes fee for Canadian visitors to the U.S.
Replies: 15
Views: 2241

Re: Obama proposes fee for Canadian visitors to the U.S.

Sad to see the US turn into a police state. When I was a young lad, we lived near the border and would frequently go out on Sunday drives into the "Big City" of Walhalla, ND. The customs officer would just wave us through. Not now, they'd likely want to give my Granny the "Rubber Glove" :roll: As fo...
by Sky Pilot
Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:34 pm
Forum: Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service
Topic: Off-strip Flying
Replies: 28
Views: 7034

Re: Off-strip Flying

I used to fly a tail-dragger to the south end of Lake Winnipeg, just east of the delta. I'd land and go swimming for a day. The beach sand was a bit tricky.. Too wet or too dry and you'd sink and swerve. Put one wheel down and feel it out. Damp sand (not wet) is the best. Be watchful of wind changes...
by Sky Pilot
Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:39 pm
Forum: General Comments
Topic: That infamous "Pilot Shortage"
Replies: 53
Views: 9083

Re: That infamous "Pilot Shortage"

I got my commercial licence in 1986 amid a major pilot shortage, but perhaps my haircut was not acceptable, as it was 1989 before I first flew commercially. :lol:
by Sky Pilot
Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:36 pm
Forum: Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service
Topic: Beech 18 gig
Replies: 11
Views: 3143

Re: Beech 18 gig

Beech 18's are cool. I've flown one on floats just a little, and other than the wobbly floats, nice. I've also salvaged a few wrecks, and they can take a good hit and the cabin will mostly remain intact. :wink:
by Sky Pilot
Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:56 pm
Forum: Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service
Topic: Jerry cans: legal and safe ?
Replies: 59
Views: 12998

Re: Jerry cans: legal and safe ?

I do not have a mogas STC. The avgas is a challenge indeed. In Eureka prices are 1500$ for the same drum :rolleyes: Is it only the fuel that is so expensive up north, or are places to stay and food also extremely expensive ? Rudder bug: you've got a pm! If you plan on a stop in Baker Lake, the hote...
by Sky Pilot
Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:42 pm
Forum: Internet and Computer Help
Topic: How to squish a pic down to avatar size ??
Replies: 6
Views: 4731

How to squish a pic down to avatar size ??

Just curious if anyone could explain to a computer illiterate like me how to shrink a picture file down to avatar size? What is the best program to use, and also what is the best type of file? :oops:
by Sky Pilot
Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:22 pm
Forum: Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service
Topic: Jerry cans: legal and safe ?
Replies: 59
Views: 12998

Re: Jerry cans: legal and safe ?

I've carried a lot of jerry cans over the years, and never had a problem. One crazy old lodge owner showed up at my dock with 18 jerry cans full of avgas in his C180. I docked him as he opened the door and took a long drag on his "Captain Black". Doh! :shock:
by Sky Pilot
Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:06 pm
Forum: Flight Training
Topic: Looking for free-lance IFR instructor in Lloydminster area.
Replies: 0
Views: 377

Looking for free-lance IFR instructor in Lloydminster area.

I'm looking to do my IFR on my own aircraft this fall. Any experienced freelance IFR instructors around Lloydminster?
by Sky Pilot
Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:33 pm
Forum: The Water Cooler
Topic: MEN GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!
Replies: 33
Views: 6420

Re: MEN GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!

No chumpin' here dude, I get the good rate, or I get gone... :rolleyes:

Go to advanced search