Search found 40 matches
- Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:01 am
- Forum: Maintenance
- Topic: smoke during start BE20
- Replies: 10
- Views: 2627
Re: smoke during start BE20
The flow divider should be all by itself, not part of the FCU. Smoky -41's are quite normal, and annoying to pilot's and concerned customers. We used to chase smoky starts by changing flow dividers, nozzles, and FCU rigging. $$$ Some people live with it, and some chase the problem. Maybe someone els...
- Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:26 pm
- Forum: General Comments
- Topic: 406 hz ELT
- Replies: 15
- Views: 2011
Re: 406 hz ELT
What a waste of time arguing. TC requirements are that they are installed, so do so. If you were to go down with a different mfg. tracking system that didn't self-activate, you might change your tune. Install them. Complete TC's requirements. Carry on. I could sit here and argue, but I have the rema...
- Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:33 pm
- Forum: Maintenance
- Topic: Hourly wage
- Replies: 22
- Views: 3079
Re: Hourly wage
Last contract- 40$/hr. 2 week in/out. Company payscales are execuses. (basic amount) I've seen them bend and flex while I was an apprentice. After learning that 10 yrs ago, it is now my time to go out and bend/flex company payscales. Before you ame's out there flame away, think of it this way: In or...
- Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:20 pm
- Forum: Maintenance
- Topic: Question on preforming tire change
- Replies: 13
- Views: 1362
Re: Question on preforming tire change
Nitrogen is cheap. Your right hand (or whatever else is in the way) isn't so cheap. Deflate, then proceed.
Also, Always refer to your applicable aircraft maintenance manual. It's amazing what's in there.
Also, Always refer to your applicable aircraft maintenance manual. It's amazing what's in there.
- Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:05 pm
- Forum: General Comments
- Topic: Forest Fires & Turbine Engines
- Replies: 13
- Views: 2416
Re: Forest Fires & Turbine Engines
Compressor washes alleviate loss of efficiency from dirty compressor blades. (ie: soot build-up) You will actually see a drastic change in the numbers when trend monitoring engine performance. Allison 250's require comp washes too often when working in smoky spots. You need all the efficiency you ca...
- Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:46 pm
- Forum: Maintenance
- Topic: avionics Q? antenna test
- Replies: 5
- Views: 787
Re: avionics Q? antenna test
So, I went with the trusty Bird 43. What slugs would work for testing primarily FM and VHF?
Has anyone tried the peak power kit?
Has anyone tried the peak power kit?
- Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:46 pm
- Forum: General Comments
- Topic: Where did West Wind Aviation thread go???
- Replies: 137
- Views: 19189
Re: Where did West Wind Aviation thread go???
I am quite curious....why do people think this is a big deal? #1 Pilots come and go. (last time I checked) #2 Lots of in-house talent to fill 705 CP position. #3 Occasionally, employees don't agree with management practices. I am sorry that these pilot's families may have to move their families els...
- Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:06 pm
- Forum: General Comments
- Topic: Where did West Wind Aviation thread go???
- Replies: 137
- Views: 19189
Re: Where did West Wind Aviation thread go???
And as far as finding a replacement for the CP with "in-house talent...." Finding a replacement was never the issue... The issue was/is why did he choose to resign from that position? He is well respected within the aviation community and a very experienced pilot...his opinion holds some weight...t...
- Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:26 pm
- Forum: General Comments
- Topic: Where did West Wind Aviation thread go???
- Replies: 137
- Views: 19189
Re: Where did West Wind Aviation thread go???
I am quite curious....why do people think this is a big deal? #1 Pilots come and go. (last time I checked) #2 Lots of in-house talent to fill 705 CP position. #3 Occasionally, employees don't agree with management practices. Welcome to aviation boys and girls. If you think this topic is interesting,...
- Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:01 am
- Forum: Maintenance
- Topic: avionics Q? antenna test
- Replies: 5
- Views: 787
Re: avionics Q? antenna test
that's probably what i'm looking at anyways. Birds sure hold their value.
- Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:49 am
- Forum: Maintenance
- Topic: CAMC, is it worth it?
- Replies: 50
- Views: 4688
Re: CAMC, is it worth it?
CAMC is useless and worthless for licensed AME's. A make work project for an "old boys club" finally, someone came out and said it. A very small group of the old guard were trying to justify their existance. BTW, those things they call logbooks for ame's, are not worth the paper they are printed on.
- Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:11 pm
- Forum: Maintenance
- Topic: avionics Q? antenna test
- Replies: 5
- Views: 787
Re: avionics Q? antenna test
thanks Strega
I'm thinking of purchasing a diamond test set. I would like something that can test within the 118-136 MHZ, as well as checking the transciever power.
Would I get any weird readings if I made a jumper to adapt a M-J adaptor to BNC?
What would you recommend?
thanks
I'm thinking of purchasing a diamond test set. I would like something that can test within the 118-136 MHZ, as well as checking the transciever power.
Would I get any weird readings if I made a jumper to adapt a M-J adaptor to BNC?
What would you recommend?
thanks
- Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:41 pm
- Forum: Maintenance
- Topic: avionics Q? antenna test
- Replies: 5
- Views: 787
avionics Q? antenna test
ok guys/gals: What do most people find the best way to test the SWR of an antenna/co-ax? (ie: what brand of tester) Do some testers also simulate a dummy load when checking 'transmit' watts? I'm looking at a few test sets, and curious what people find works best for them? I'm open to any suggestions...
- Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:16 pm
- Forum: Maintenance
- Topic: What do employers want in an apprentice?
- Replies: 21
- Views: 3315
Re: What do employers want in an apprentice?
last two posts nailed it. as soon as your new meat in the shop, you start at zero. They may do certain things 'wrong' in your eyes, and you will probably do certain things 'wrong' in their eyes. every shop does things differently, and you must realize when to pick your battles. There are shit-hole c...
- Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:35 pm
- Forum: Maintenance
- Topic: Cost of an Annual Inspection
- Replies: 15
- Views: 4740
Re: Cost of an Annual Inspection
I should clarify my last point: I do not have a hangar, AMO, or expensive overhead. That's why it is cheaper than $100/hr.
All my annuals are performed in the owners hangar. They like that too as they don't have expensive hangarage fees at AMO's, and is very convienent for them.
All my annuals are performed in the owners hangar. They like that too as they don't have expensive hangarage fees at AMO's, and is very convienent for them.
- Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:34 am
- Forum: Maintenance
- Topic: Cost of an Annual Inspection
- Replies: 15
- Views: 4740
Re: Cost of an Annual Inspection
Whenever I signed out an annual, I made sure the owner realized that all he was purchasing was an 'inspection'. Any other work was added on, and took more time/money. Most owners I worked with were familiar with AD research themselves, which they should be. Do not think the AME will comply with ever...
- Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:25 am
- Forum: Maintenance
- Topic: Airplane Washer: I will wash your aircraft
- Replies: 42
- Views: 5366
Re: Airplane Washer: I will wash your aircraft
sounds like a nice scam? You want a deposit, then disappear never to be heard from again. Washing/detailing an a/c is not a skill, especially something that requires those prices. It's an interesting idea, and unique though. Perhaps you could post some names of companies that you have worked for alr...
- Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:13 am
- Forum: General Comments
- Topic: Meadow Lake, LaRonge, & Buffalo Narrows?
- Replies: 52
- Views: 6855
Re: Meadow Lake
BN will cause you nothing but stress. Better try LA first, but don't get your hopes high. Have you thought about Osprey in Otter? (north of LA). eh? Buffalo will not cause you stress. Town of about 12-1400 people who dont give you grief unless you give them a good reason to No No, the town is ok. W...
- Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:01 pm
- Forum: General Comments
- Topic: Meadow Lake, LaRonge, & Buffalo Narrows?
- Replies: 52
- Views: 6855
Re: Meadow Lake
BN will cause you nothing but stress. Better try LA first, but don't get your hopes high. Have you thought about Osprey in Otter? (north of LA).
- Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:59 pm
- Forum: General Comments
- Topic: YQR King Air 100 Accident
- Replies: 11
- Views: 3359
Re: YQR King Air 100 Accident
Are you speculating, or stating a known fact?J31 wrote:Looks like the bicycle chain gave out!
- Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:35 pm
- Forum: Maintenance
- Topic: Industry shortage?
- Replies: 48
- Views: 8684
arguing over wages is pointless unless all aspects are taken in to consideration... the discretionary income is what is important. meaning how much is left over once cost of living is taken care of. a fellow living in vancouver making 60 dollars an hour with an average $400 000 mortgage is no bette...
- Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:31 pm
- Forum: Maintenance
- Topic: Industry shortage?
- Replies: 48
- Views: 8684
There's people available. There just aren't people available for free. Plus, it's cheaper to work your existing staff to death and wring your hands and moan about the labour shortage than to hire someone new. Basically, you pay them less than a living wage so they become dependent on overtime. At a...
- Mon May 07, 2007 5:07 pm
- Forum: Maintenance
- Topic: CARs for the AME
- Replies: 26
- Views: 9377
I have not met one person that has a bad thing to say about this book. It's well written, by an AME for AME's. That makes a big difference. I used the book to study, (due to actually being one of BFraser's students) and always recommend it to new apprentoids on their way to being licensed. Keep up t...
- Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:27 am
- Forum: Helicopter Forum
- Topic: NCH
- Replies: 11
- Views: 5833
- Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:30 am
- Forum: Helicopter Forum
- Topic: NCH
- Replies: 11
- Views: 5833