Air Sprint Questions

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

AlphaBravo28
Rank 0
Rank 0

Air Sprint Questions

Post by AlphaBravo28 »

Hey guys,

Been looking at air sprint for a while now. Curious if anyone knows if they carry a training bond? How fast would citation captains move over to the legacy given the current flight and planes on order and would those citation captains have to sit right seat first?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Air Sprint Questions

Post by Blueontop »

PM the airsprintHR this and check out the career website. Everything is there.

bushwings
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bushwings »

AlphaBravo28 wrote:Hey guys,

Been looking at air sprint for a while now. Curious if anyone knows if they carry a training bond? How fast would citation captains move over to the legacy given the current flight and planes on order and would those citation captains have to sit right seat first?

Thanks!

+1 for more info, I can add though that there is a big bond, $36k, but also a career company so good place to hang your hat and stay, bond only matters if you're trying to bugger off to the regionals.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

I don't know about a career company. Pretty low wages for being tied to YYC. I noticed that they remade their nice brochure but kept the old pay scale (which doesn't include the $5000/yr hit you take until you have time on type). Schedule isn't really that great either, with lots of reserve days.

I'd say it's more of a stepping stone to airlines or corporate flying.. otherwise they wouldn't have a bond to force people to stay.

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

Hello Everyone,

With regards to some of the questions I have seen pop up on this thread, I offer the following answers, (sorry for the long-winded Email):

Question:
Curious if anyone knows if they carry a training bond?

Answer:
Yes, we do have Performance Agreements (bond) in place for our pilots when AirSprint covers the costs of an initial Type Rating. The CJ series aircraft is a 2 year Pro-Rated $36,000 Performance Agreement and the Legacy 450 is 2 year Pro-Rated $45,000 Performance Agreement. There is no out of pocket expense, loan, or anything of that sorts required. We have the pilot sign a Performance Agreement contract that states if they leave within the two year period stated in the agreement, they are required to pay out the remaining amount. Compared to the actual training costs associated with the courses the Performance Agreement is below the actual cost to AirSprint.

We only require Performance Agreements for initial type ratings, nothing on recurrent courses. The CJ2+ and CJ3+ are a grouped type rating with only a differences course required, therefore there is only one performance agreement for the initial CJ type rating.

Question:
How fast would citation captains move over to the legacy given the current flight and planes on order and would those citation captains have to sit right seat first?

Answer:
We generally hire for CJ Positions and transfer from within to the Legacy. That said, we do expect times when direct entry spot will be available on the Legacy. The Legacy being the new aircraft is currently still being crewed primarily by those pilots formally on the Citation Excel/XLS, although we do have a number of CJ pilots who have also made the transition to the Legacy.

Our internal policy is that an employee with less than 5 years seniority at AirSprint is eligible for transfer from one aircraft type to the another after 4 years on their current aircraft type unless AirSprint has a need to transfer you. Those with 5 years or more of seniority are expected to have been on their current aircraft type for a minimum of 2 years before eligible for transfer unless AirSprint has a requirement. . Transfers to a different aircraft type are based on seniority, an open position, and pilot performance.

We follow these guidelines with the best intentions of being financially responsible while also providing opportunities for our hardworking pilots. Transfers outside of the stated time frames can, have, and will be made from time to time as the company requires, at the discretion of management.

Generally, those who hold a Captain position on the CJ series would transfer across to a Captain position on the Legacy, unless they desired to move for a First Officer position.

Comment:
Pretty low wages for being tied to YYC.

Reply:
Our current pay scale is as stated in the Pilot Career Guide and we regularly monitor the industry trends and make adjustments.

Comment:
I noticed that they remade their nice brochure but kept the old pay scale (which doesn't include the $5000/yr hit you take until you have time on type)

Reply:
For direct entry jet Captains with no or little jet experience, we do require a 10% pay reduction on the pilot’s salary until 500 hours total jet time, or 250 hours jet PIC are acquired. Once the required time is met the 10% reduction is immediately removed.

For direct entry jet First Officers, we look to see if the pilot meets our internal requirements for what would have been a PC12 (turboprop) Captain. This would be about 2000 hours total time with some turbine and PIC time associated. If the candidate meets this requirement there is NO 10% pay reduction. Based on our minimum requirements and hiring practices it is rare that a First Officer is affected by the 10% pay reduction.

Since AirSprint’s desire is to upgrade internally for our jet Captain positions this 10% pay reduction does not usually come in to play. However, when hiring external Captains that come from a strictly turboprop background, the 10% pay reduction would be in place.

On average over the last year our pilots have flown about 500 hours, so any new Captains usually reach the 250 PIC hours within the first 8-10 months.

Comment:
Schedule isn't really that great either, with lots of reserve days.

Reply:
AirSprint uses a Preferential Bidding System (PBS) to build our schedule. The PBS is non-seniority based system where every pilot has equal opportunity to bid and get the schedule they request. The global satisfaction for the system seems to maintain a consistent 90% average score. So about 90% of the time pilots are getting what they ask for.

The bid takes place in a 28 day block in which you are on reserve for 18 days, and off for 10 days. The pilot bids for what days off they would like off by awarding a score (or weight) to that day or stretch of days. This way the system can tell what days are the most important, and what days are less important when awarding your schedule.

Some of the basic rules to the PBS are as follows:
1. A minimum of 5 consecutive days on reserve at a time.
2. A maximum of 8 consecutive days on reserve at a time.
a. You can press a button that will allow a max of 13 days on reserve to be assigned if
desired. Some pilots do this to front or back load the schedule with as many days off in
a row as they can.
3. A minimum of 3 consecutive days off at a time

Looking back over the last 365 days, the average days worked per month is 14 days. A work day is considered to be a Flying Day, Layover Day, Positioning Day, or a Training Day.

Comment:
I'd say it's more of a stepping stone to airlines or corporate flying.. otherwise they wouldn't have a bond to force people to stay.

Reply:
Over my 10 years with the company I have seen AirSprint grow in leaps and bounds and always in a forward positive direction. Improvements are being made all the time and the pilots have my dedication and promise to always grow and get better.

Are we a career company for everyone? Not necessarily for everyone, but we do have a good number of pilots that have now surpassed 10 years with the company and some at 15 years. We would certainly love for everyone to stay for a career, but we understand some want to move on to the airlines or pursue other opportunities in aviation. AirSprint is happy to help our pilots achieve their goals in the aviation industry. I am no stranger to writing reference letters, making phone calls, and helping our pilots get to where they want to be.

We simply ask that our pilots work hard in a safe, positive operation, with our Company Values* at heart. I think we have a pretty good operation at AirSprint with a fleet of excellent aircraft and excellent crews. From an operational view, I couldn’t ask for a better group of people to help us achieve our goals and I am proud to be a part of this organization. I am truly just a pilot at heard that loves to fly.

*Safety, Service, People, Integrity, Humility, Community.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to get in touch through this thread or via Email (airsprintinfo@airsprint.com). We will continue to pride ourselves in maintaining transparency and openness.

Cheers! And fly safe everyone,

Adam Fallwell
Director, Flight Operations
AirSprint Inc.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Average days worked per month is 14?? That's a lot in the corporate jet world.

fsantana
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fsantana »

Being an Immigrant fairly new to Canada, with both FAA and TC ATPL and both FAA and TC CPL Helicopter, with more than 3,600 hours TT now and more than 2,700 hours PIC now (mostly Turboprop), and all flight time under corporate environment; I applied a every single time they were looking for FOs and NEVER got a reply not even nothing.

It sure looks like a great company to work for but apparently if you don't know anyone that can FWD your resume to the CP, you won't get a chance to get in, but being part of the visible minority didn't help me either.

I would have loved to join this company but the world kept on turning and I was able to join a regional carrier and now I fly a CRJ, and I am happy about it.

If you have your internal reference USE IT and join them, the CJs and the Legacy are very awesome airplanes.

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

fsantana wrote:Being an Immigrant fairly new to Canada, with both FAA and TC ATPL and both FAA and TC CPL Helicopter, with more than 3,600 hours TT now and more than 2,700 hours PIC now (mostly Turboprop), and all flight time under corporate environment; I applied a every single time they were looking for FOs and NEVER got a reply not even nothing.

It sure looks like a great company to work for but apparently if you don't know anyone that can FWD your resume to the CP, you won't get a chance to get in, but being part of the visible minority didn't help me either.

I would have loved to join this company but the world kept on turning and I was able to join a regional carrier and now I fly a CRJ, and I am happy about it.

If you have your internal reference USE IT and join them, the CJs and the Legacy are very awesome airplanes.
Hello Fsantana,

We often get a ton of resumes and it's sometimes hard to get through all of them. I am sure there are many excellent candidates out there and I have no doubt that we have missed out on some of them.

Send your resume to me at atf@airsprint.com . I'm not sure when the next round of hiring will be, but I enjoy making the connections and getting to know those who are interested even before a formal interview.

This offer goes out to anyone who might want to reach out and make a connection. If for any reason I don't get back to you within a couple days please follow up.

Cheers,

Adam Fallwell

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

but being part of the visible minority didn't help me either.
Say what now?

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Must have sent a photo with his resume

Aya
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aya »

Hello Guys,

Any news regarding the upcoming hiring?

Cheers

:smt040
AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

Aya wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:14 am Hello Guys,

Any news regarding the upcoming hiring?

Cheers
Good Morning Aya,

We are currently hiring for Captain and FO Citation CJ2+ positions based in Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa. You can see our job advertisement here: http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 7&t=127780

Please let me know if you have any questions about AirSprint!

Matt Rolleman
Chief Pilot C25A/B
mnr@airsprint.com

Aya
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aya »

AirSprintInc wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:40 pm Hello Everyone,

With regards to some of the questions I have seen pop up on this thread, I offer the following answers, (sorry for the long-winded Email):

Question:
Curious if anyone knows if they carry a training bond?

Answer:
Yes, we do have Performance Agreements (bond) in place for our pilots when AirSprint covers the costs of an initial Type Rating. The CJ series aircraft is a 2 year Pro-Rated $36,000 Performance Agreement and the Legacy 450 is 2 year Pro-Rated $45,000 Performance Agreement. There is no out of pocket expense, loan, or anything of that sorts required. We have the pilot sign a Performance Agreement contract that states if they leave within the two year period stated in the agreement, they are required to pay out the remaining amount. Compared to the actual training costs associated with the courses the Performance Agreement is below the actual cost to AirSprint.

We only require Performance Agreements for initial type ratings, nothing on recurrent courses. The CJ2+ and CJ3+ are a grouped type rating with only a differences course required, therefore there is only one performance agreement for the initial CJ type rating.

Question:
How fast would citation captains move over to the legacy given the current flight and planes on order and would those citation captains have to sit right seat first?

Answer:
We generally hire for CJ Positions and transfer from within to the Legacy. That said, we do expect times when direct entry spot will be available on the Legacy. The Legacy being the new aircraft is currently still being crewed primarily by those pilots formally on the Citation Excel/XLS, although we do have a number of CJ pilots who have also made the transition to the Legacy.

Our internal policy is that an employee with less than 5 years seniority at AirSprint is eligible for transfer from one aircraft type to the another after 4 years on their current aircraft type unless AirSprint has a need to transfer you. Those with 5 years or more of seniority are expected to have been on their current aircraft type for a minimum of 2 years before eligible for transfer unless AirSprint has a requirement. . Transfers to a different aircraft type are based on seniority, an open position, and pilot performance.

We follow these guidelines with the best intentions of being financially responsible while also providing opportunities for our hardworking pilots. Transfers outside of the stated time frames can, have, and will be made from time to time as the company requires, at the discretion of management.

Generally, those who hold a Captain position on the CJ series would transfer across to a Captain position on the Legacy, unless they desired to move for a First Officer position.

Comment:
Pretty low wages for being tied to YYC.

Reply:
Our current pay scale is as stated in the Pilot Career Guide and we regularly monitor the industry trends and make adjustments.

Comment:
I noticed that they remade their nice brochure but kept the old pay scale (which doesn't include the $5000/yr hit you take until you have time on type)

Reply:
For direct entry jet Captains with no or little jet experience, we do require a 10% pay reduction on the pilot’s salary until 500 hours total jet time, or 250 hours jet PIC are acquired. Once the required time is met the 10% reduction is immediately removed.

For direct entry jet First Officers, we look to see if the pilot meets our internal requirements for what would have been a PC12 (turboprop) Captain. This would be about 2000 hours total time with some turbine and PIC time associated. If the candidate meets this requirement there is NO 10% pay reduction. Based on our minimum requirements and hiring practices it is rare that a First Officer is affected by the 10% pay reduction.

Since AirSprint’s desire is to upgrade internally for our jet Captain positions this 10% pay reduction does not usually come in to play. However, when hiring external Captains that come from a strictly turboprop background, the 10% pay reduction would be in place.

On average over the last year our pilots have flown about 500 hours, so any new Captains usually reach the 250 PIC hours within the first 8-10 months.

Comment:
Schedule isn't really that great either, with lots of reserve days.

Reply:
AirSprint uses a Preferential Bidding System (PBS) to build our schedule. The PBS is non-seniority based system where every pilot has equal opportunity to bid and get the schedule they request. The global satisfaction for the system seems to maintain a consistent 90% average score. So about 90% of the time pilots are getting what they ask for.

The bid takes place in a 28 day block in which you are on reserve for 18 days, and off for 10 days. The pilot bids for what days off they would like off by awarding a score (or weight) to that day or stretch of days. This way the system can tell what days are the most important, and what days are less important when awarding your schedule.

Some of the basic rules to the PBS are as follows:
1. A minimum of 5 consecutive days on reserve at a time.
2. A maximum of 8 consecutive days on reserve at a time.
a. You can press a button that will allow a max of 13 days on reserve to be assigned if
desired. Some pilots do this to front or back load the schedule with as many days off in
a row as they can.
3. A minimum of 3 consecutive days off at a time

Looking back over the last 365 days, the average days worked per month is 14 days. A work day is considered to be a Flying Day, Layover Day, Positioning Day, or a Training Day.

Comment:

Reply:
Over my 10 years with the company I have seen AirSprint grow in leaps and bounds and always in a forward positive direction. Improvements are being made all the time and the pilots have my dedication and promise to always grow and get better.

Are we a career company for everyone? Not necessarily for everyone, but we do have a good number of pilots that have now surpassed 10 years with the company and some at 15 years. We would certainly love for everyone to stay for a career, but we understand some want to move on to the airlines or pursue other opportunities in aviation. AirSprint is happy to help our pilots achieve their goals in the aviation industry. I am no stranger to writing reference letters, making phone calls, and helping our pilots get to where they want to be.

We simply ask that our pilots work hard in a safe, positive operation, with our Company Values* at heart. I think we have a pretty good operation at AirSprint with a fleet of excellent aircraft and excellent crews. From an operational view, I couldn’t ask for a better group of people to help us achieve our goals and I am proud to be a part of this organization. I am truly just a pilot at heard that loves to fly.

*Safety, Service, People, Integrity, Humility, Community.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to get in touch through this thread or via Email (airsprintinfo@airsprint.com). We will continue to pride ourselves in maintaining transparency and openness.

Cheers! And fly safe everyone,

Adam Fallwell
AirSprint Inc.

Good day sir,

Regarding the minimum reserve day, is it 5 minimum days no matter if you are on a 18/10 or 16/12?

Cheers

:smt040
AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

Good Day Aya,

With our new schedule choices our reserve rules have changed slightly, for the 14/14 and 16/12 schedule the minimum consecutive reserve days is 7, with the normal maximum 8. There are options to increase your consecutive reserve days beyond that, up to as many as 13 days, but that is only if the pilot specifically requests it. For the 18/10 schedule, while the minimum consecutive reserve days is still 7, we needed to increase the maximum to 9 as we found the bidding system was not able to solve schedules on a consistent basis with the maximum at 8.

Feel free to contact me via email at mnr@airsprint.com if you would like additional information on how our schedule works, I would be happy to explain it in greater detail or answer any other questions you may have!

Kind Regards,

Matt Rolleman
Chief Pilot C25A/B

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

AirSprintInc wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:30 pm Good Day Aya,

With our new schedule choices our reserve rules have changed slightly, for the 14/14 and 16/12 schedule the minimum consecutive reserve days is 7, with the normal maximum 8. There are options to increase your consecutive reserve days beyond that, up to as many as 13 days, but that is only if the pilot specifically requests it. For the 18/10 schedule, while the minimum consecutive reserve days is still 7, we needed to increase the maximum to 9 as we found the bidding system was not able to solve schedules on a consistent basis with the maximum at 8.

Feel free to contact me via email at mnr@airsprint.com if you would like additional information on how our schedule works, I would be happy to explain it in greater detail or answer any other questions you may have!

Kind Regards,

Matt Rolleman
Chief Pilot C25A/B
Hi,

Perhaps I missed it somewhere else, but could you please define what 14/14 amd 16/12 schedules mean?

Thanks.

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

Good Morning Pelmet,

Our schedule ratios, 14/14, 16/12, and 18/10, indicate the number of reserve days and days off per bid period, which is 28 days. So, the 14/14 schedule means you would get 14 days of reserve and 14 days off, the 16/12 is 16 reserve days and 12 days off, and the 18/10 is 18 days of reserve and 10 days off. It is important to note that these are not consecutive days, in that you cannot be on reserve for 14, 16, or 18 days in a row. Using our bidding system, each month you bid for the days off or on reserve that you want, with the maximum consecutive reserve days being 13, which is only assigned if the pilot specifically chooses that.

Please feel free to contact me directly at mnr@airsprint.com if you would like additional information!

Kind Regards,

Matt Rolleman
Chief Pilot C25A/B
AirSprint Inc.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

AirSprintInc wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:45 am Good Morning Pelmet,

Our schedule ratios, 14/14, 16/12, and 18/10, indicate the number of reserve days and days off per bid period, which is 28 days. So, the 14/14 schedule means you would get 14 days of reserve and 14 days off, the 16/12 is 16 reserve days and 12 days off, and the 18/10 is 18 days of reserve and 10 days off. It is important to note that these are not consecutive days, in that you cannot be on reserve for 14, 16, or 18 days in a row. Using our bidding system, each month you bid for the days off or on reserve that you want, with the maximum consecutive reserve days being 13, which is only assigned if the pilot specifically chooses that.
Thanks,

Sounds interesting. Looks like the company might be trying to be flexible to accomodate different desires among pilots. 13/13 might be very interesting and and attract pilots from rotating jobs that might be sick of the north. They could be long term employees. I notice that some airlines like WJ and Jazz have a system where one can pick up work days/offer to give away workdays to other pilots, all using a computer program. Other airlines might have a less formal system for shift changes allowing one to pick up extra flights or get rid of that one day in the middle of several off on either side.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

pelmet wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:14 am

Thanks,

Sounds interesting. Looks like the company might be trying to be flexible to accomodate different desires among pilots. 13/13 might be very interesting and and attract pilots from rotating jobs that might be sick of the north. They could be long term employees. I notice that some airlines like WJ and Jazz have a system where one can pick up work days/offer to give away workdays to other pilots, all using a computer program. Other airlines might have a less formal system for shift changes allowing one to pick up extra flights or get rid of that one day in the middle of several off on either side.
Any chance of the 13/13 idea so guys can have a full 13 off without that 1 day in the middle of it. You might find yourself with a bunch of new applicants who are not interested in using the company as a steppingstone.

A lot of companies just won’t do it no matter how much it could help them. Control of the pilots off days is more important to those companies.

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

pelmet wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:39 am
pelmet wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:14 am

Thanks,

Any chance of the 13/13 idea so guys can have a full 13 off without that 1 day in the middle of it. You might find yourself with a bunch of new applicants who are not interested in using the company as a steppingstone.

A lot of companies just won’t do it no matter how much it could help them. Control of the pilots off days is more important to those companies.
Hi Pelmet,

Unfortunately the 13/13 schedule doesn't quite fit into our current 28 day bid block, and as our new schedule offerings are relatively new (just started in September), we are not actively looking at making any changes at this point. With that said, we are always open to suggestions for improvements, and so I appreciate your feedback and will take it under consideration for future adjustments.

Of note, it is possible to bid for a rolling 13 days on 14 days off if on the 14/14 schedule approximately 13 months out of 14. It's a bit too complex to explain here how that would work but feel free to contact me at mnr@airsprint.com and I would be happy to go into greater detail.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas and enjoy the holidays!

Kind Regards,

Matt Rolleman
Chief Pilot C25A/B

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Thanks for the replies,

Merry Christmas.