Great news for the Global 7500...

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Post Reply
Jet Jockey
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:42 am
Location: CYUL

Great news for the Global 7500...

Post by Jet Jockey » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:34 pm

Global 7500 Sets Bizjet Range Record...

Bombardier’s new Global 7500 this week achieved what the manufacturer is billing as the world’s longest flight by a purpose-built business jet. The aircraft logged 8,152 nm after taking off from Singapore at 7:12 a.m. local time on March 4 and landing in Tucson, Arizona, at 8:19 a.m.—setting a speed record for this sector in the process.

The aircraft landed with 4,300 pounds of fuel, falling well within NBAA requirements with nearly 90 additional minutes of flight time possible.

The Global 7500 entered service on December 20, 2018. Designed for long intercontinental flights, it boasts the industry’s largest business jet cabin and a maximum speed of Mach 0.925. This week’s flight exceeded the aircraft’s advertised range of 7,700 nm.

“The Global 7500 was built to break all the records,” commented Bombardier Business Aircraft president David Coleal. “It achieved the industry’s longest mission ever in business aviation after only two months in service. We’ve demonstrated its unequaled long-range and high-speed capabilities, but also its ability to break records confidently with healthy fuel reserves remaining, once again, confirming its unsurpassed performance to customers.”

Image
---------- ADS -----------
  

fish4life
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:32 am

Re: Great news for the Global 7500...

Post by fish4life » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:06 pm

That is pretty incredible, my only question that arises from this is if corporate operators use “RP’s” / bunks?
---------- ADS -----------
  

vrrotate
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 10:11 pm

Re: Great news for the Global 7500...

Post by vrrotate » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:00 am

Canadian regulations allow it for private operators. I’ll assume this plane was US registered. Does FAR part 91 (private operators) even have duty limits? I don’t think they do.

Extension of Flight Duty Period

[SOR/2018-269, s. 18]
604.101 If a flight crew is augmented by at least one flight crew member, if there is a balanced distribution of flight deck duty time and rest periods among the flight crew members, and if the next minimum rest period is at least equal to the length of the preceding flight duty period, the flight crew’s flight duty period may be extended

(a) to 17 hours with a maximum flight deck duty time of 12 hours, if a flight relief facility — seat is provided; and

(b) to 20 hours with a maximum flight deck duty time of 14 hours, if a flight relief facility — bunk is provided.

SOR/2014-131, s. 18; SOR/2018-269, s. 18.

EDIT: is that the actual picture of the airplane in the first post? If so it looks like a Canadian registration.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Yycjetdriver
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:00 pm

Re: Great news for the Global 7500...

Post by Yycjetdriver » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:30 am

---------- ADS -----------
  

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:41 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Great news for the Global 7500...

Post by Chris M » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:34 am

There's a closed off crew rest cabin at the front of the plane with a flat folding seat. It's the room just aft of the door:

Image
---------- ADS -----------
  

Adjfrancis
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:53 am

Re: Great news for the Global 7500...

Post by Adjfrancis » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:21 pm

fish4life wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:06 pm
That is pretty incredible, my only question that arises from this is if corporate operators use “RP’s” / bunks?
We fly with augmented crews in the G550 quite frequently.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Adjfrancis
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:53 am

Re: Great news for the Global 7500...

Post by Adjfrancis » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:22 pm

vrrotate wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:00 am
Canadian regulations allow it for private operators. I’ll assume this plane was US registered. Does FAR part 91 (private operators) even have duty limits? I don’t think they do.

Extension of Flight Duty Period

[SOR/2018-269, s. 18]
604.101 If a flight crew is augmented by at least one flight crew member, if there is a balanced distribution of flight deck duty time and rest periods among the flight crew members, and if the next minimum rest period is at least equal to the length of the preceding flight duty period, the flight crew’s flight duty period may be extended

(a) to 17 hours with a maximum flight deck duty time of 12 hours, if a flight relief facility — seat is provided; and

(b) to 20 hours with a maximum flight deck duty time of 14 hours, if a flight relief facility — bunk is provided.

SOR/2014-131, s. 18; SOR/2018-269, s. 18.

EDIT: is that the actual picture of the airplane in the first post? If so it looks like a Canadian registration.
No duty time limits for Part 91 operations
---------- ADS -----------
  

Jet Jockey
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:42 am
Location: CYUL

Re: Great news for the Global 7500...

Post by Jet Jockey » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:13 pm

vrrotate wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:00 am
No duty time limits for Part 91 operations
Correct... I find this still unbelievable in 2019.

For the Canadian duty to be extended fully, the onboard facility for the crew rest must conform to the newer standards with a lie flat seat...

Our Globals do not have this "lie flat" seat, so we cannot fully extend our duty day to the maximum allowable. We make crew changes as necessary if the passengers do not want to stop for 14 or 16 hours for crew rests.
---------- ADS -----------
  

fish4life
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:32 am

Re: Great news for the Global 7500...

Post by fish4life » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:18 pm

interesting, thanks for the replies to give insight to the long haul corporate world.
---------- ADS -----------
  

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1607
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:59 pm
Location: The Best Coast

Re: Great news for the Global 7500...

Post by wallypilot » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:27 pm

vrrotate wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:00 am
Canadian regulations allow it for private operators. I’ll assume this plane was US registered. Does FAR part 91 (private operators) even have duty limits? I don’t think they do.


SOR/2014-131, s. 18; SOR/2018-269, s. 18.

EDIT: is that the actual picture of the airplane in the first post? If so it looks like a Canadian registration.
It’s Canadian registered. There is only one demo machine so far and this is it.
---------- ADS -----------
  

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1700
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 am

Re: Great news for the Global 7500...

Post by goingnowherefast » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:35 pm

Under what CARs subpart do experimental flight test aircraft operate? 702? 604? Is there some caveat in the 500 series CARs for this type of operation?

I'm genuinely curious.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:41 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Great news for the Global 7500...

Post by Chris M » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:33 am

goingnowherefast wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:35 pm
Under what CARs subpart do experimental flight test aircraft operate? 702? 604? Is there some caveat in the 500 series CARs for this type of operation?

I'm genuinely curious.
This one is a fully certified production model. Of the 5 flight test planes only one had a production interior installed, the other 4 just had various engineering stations. I suppose they could have retrofitted them with bunks for the long duration flights though.
---------- ADS -----------
  

gofaster
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:03 am

Re: Great news for the Global 7500...

Post by gofaster » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:05 am

Flight testing is covered under CAR 521.44 - 521.47. The aircraft would be on an Experimental Flight Test Permit.
---------- ADS -----------
  

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator
Posts: 5788
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:21 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Great news for the Global 7500...

Post by ahramin » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:18 am

goingnowherefast wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:35 pm
Under what CARs subpart do experimental flight test aircraft operate? 702? 604? Is there some caveat in the 500 series CARs for this type of operation?

I'm genuinely curious.
Aircraft Information
Mark: C-FXAI
Common Name: Bombardier Model Name: BD-700-2A12
Serial No.: 70006
Basis for Eligibility for Registration: CAR Standard 507.04 (2) - Experimental Aircraft
702 wouldn't be appropriate because the aircraft is not for hire (no commercial air service). Probably cannot carry passengers under 507.04 so eventually I think it will be operated 604.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Jet Jockey
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:42 am
Location: CYUL

Re: Great news for the Global 7500...

Post by Jet Jockey » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:34 pm

My understanding is the first production aircraft (the one that broke the record) was delivered internally to the flight demo department at Bombardier. It is not an experimental aircraft.
---------- ADS -----------
  

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1607
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:59 pm
Location: The Best Coast

Re: Great news for the Global 7500...

Post by wallypilot » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:18 pm

Jet Jockey wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:34 pm
My understanding is the first production aircraft (the one that broke the record) was delivered internally to the flight demo department at Bombardier. It is not an experimental aircraft.
If you want to get to the real nitty gritty, it was actually delivered to a leasing company and bombardier leases it back. So technically, it’s the first production aircraft delivered to a customer... :shock:
---------- ADS -----------
  

Jet Jockey
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:42 am
Location: CYUL

Re: Great news for the Global 7500...

Post by Jet Jockey » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:49 am

wallypilot wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:18 pm
Jet Jockey wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:34 pm
My understanding is the first production aircraft (the one that broke the record) was delivered internally to the flight demo department at Bombardier. It is not an experimental aircraft.
If you want to get to the real nitty gritty, it was actually delivered to a leasing company and bombardier leases it back. So technically, it’s the first production aircraft delivered to a customer... :shock:
Yeah I knew it was something like that...

Anyway I'm very happy for the folks at Bombardier and glad to see they produced another fantastic aircraft!

I'm also very happy that guy at Bombardier ripped that Globe and Mail POS reporter.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “Corporate”