C-GJOL Phenom 300 Nov 23 Incident ...

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

C-GJOL Phenom 300 Nov 23 Incident ...

Post by bizjets101 »

NTSB Incident Preliminary Report

Pilot reported that on takeoff roll the airplane reacted normally. However, on rotation he experienced a severe yaw to the right, which was accompanied by a significant roll to the right. The pilot stated that he then added left aileron and depressed left rudder pedal to counter the yaw; however, the left rudder input was not effective. The pilot opined that passing through 10,000 feet mean sea level, and with the cross-control condition not having been resolved, he contacted air traffic control and requested a return to the departure airport; the controller approved the request.

The pilot reported that while on descent and continuing through landing, he was forced to use cross-control inputs, left aileron and left rudder inputs, as the right yaw condition persisted; he added that the left rudder input still had no effect on countering the right yaw. The pilot stated that after touching down and during the landing roll, he used differential power to maintain his track on the runway. After coming to a stop on the runway, the pilot taxied to parking unassisted. The airplane sustained minor damage to the left winglet.

---------- ADS -----------

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: C-GJOL Phenom 300 Nov 23 Incident ...

Post by fish4life »

Sounds like a job really well done

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Well I'm sure glad the controller approved the request however, at that point it no longer sounds like that should have been a request.

Remember boys and girls control issues = mayday = everyone gets the @#$! out of your way

B-rad
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by B-rad »

leftoftrack wrote:Remember boys and girls control issues = mayday
I very much agree.
For some reason I feel like emergencies and the use of mayday is defined by being in a situation where you have already lost control. Personally I like to redefine an emergency as a deteriorating situation that requires intervention. When I think of it this way it puts me into high alert early on while I still have control and am able to take action in the incipient stage; before an emergency by traditional definition takes place.
Again with the boiling frog, the trend alerts the deterioration so you can hopefully see the emergency before it fully matures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog

My ambition is to live forever - so far, so good!
slam525i
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by slam525i »

As much as I agree with you on declaring an emergency when you have a problem, in the two incidents where I should have called "Mayday", I didn't. The first time was because it didn't seem that big a problem; I could still maintain level flight. Thinking about it afterwards, I should have called Mayday, just in case it got worse.

The second time, I was so busy and concentrated, my response to "The Offer" was "Er... I think I can make it back..." It was definitely a situation that called for "Mayday". My brain was so concentrated on the "Aviate" and "Navigate" that I wasn't properly assessing whether or not I should declare an emergency.

I still beat myself up for not having done the right thing, and I understand when other pilots make the same mistake.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

IMHO control system problems should be a more or less immediate mayday and back on the ground asap. They rarely get better with speed and altitude!

Return to “Corporate”