Drivings a rental car in Mexico

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

target
Rank 1
Rank 1

Drivings a rental car in Mexico

Post by target »

Any experiences driving rental cars in Mexico, specifically PVR.
---------- ADS -----------

human garbage
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Drivings a rental car in Mexico

Post by human garbage »

Yup. Done it in PVR and Merida. No issues other than crazy drivers and those huge topes (sp? mexican speedbumps). You will have to purchase Mexican insurance which depending on the rental place could be relatively expensive. Shop around basically. You won't find cars with many creature comforts though. We are talking striped down models with manual transmissions.

It is kinda sketchy dealing with the police or federales when you are a foreigner (I don't speak Spanish which doesn't help). I've heard of people having to bribe their way out of situations. I never had a problem other than some sort of Federal checkpoint between Merida and Progresso late at night. El Jefe seemed to want to check out the contents of the vehicle more than us though. Checked the registration and insurance (but not my DL) and let me roll after about five minutes. It was pretty surreal to be surrounded by heavily armed dudes illuminated only by road flares out in the middle of nowhere...

Had a traffic cop pull me over in PVR but thanks to the language barrier he didn't do anything other than check my papers and give them back. Don't know if that was his sole intent (I was speeding) but that is all he did.

I've driven more than 2000km down there and those were my only notable incidents. Gas is cheap but expect to tip the attendant that fills you up. Took a couple of them flipping me off as I drove away to figure that out lol.

"...flying airplanes is really not all that difficult so it attracts some of the most mentally challenged people in society." - . .

"Baby, stick out your can... 'cause I'm the garbageman"
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Drivings a rental car in Mexico

Post by ahramin »

Do you have something a little more ... Mexican?

Return to “Corporate”