Hiring a Private Jet pilot

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Hiring a Private Jet pilot

Post by Panama Jack »

I thought this video was well presented with many valid thoughts:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9hAGMUJKC98
---------- ADS -----------

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Hiring a Private Jet pilot

Post by Jet Jockey »

Yes an no... Cannot agree on several issues he brings up.

N181CS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by N181CS »

I'm curious as to the several points... Best man for the job over a type rated pilot and pay for their training. If you don't like that one hire Nicky Nick for your king air as he must be better then Joe shmo who has not flown a king air. Their aviation background, talk to their past employers look to see that they did not fly that king air for free. Pay them... You can afford a plane you can afford to pay someone a good wage. The last bit is a run around back to their background and what you learn about them. The only thing is the airline or military pilots are better, but he does point out that they may need to learn how to handle the behind the scenes stuff. I think he is saying they are more likely to succeed in the two crew world over a guy who flew a PC-12 or the likes single pilot for 20 years.

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

In summary, he advocates fair pay and a decent quality of life for crews. There are exceptions to be pointed out in a lot of his views (I am sure that will unfold in the coming replies), but his overall reasoning is sound.

Yes the airline environment is great for SOP, overall experience and professionalism, but many corporate flight departments are running airline-style SOPs now anyway. Nevertheless, that type of experience is something to be aware of in a candidate.

I've never walked into an operation with an existing type rating, but hired based upon merits that were a fit to that operation at the time. That seems to be what he is advocating so I think the video was pretty good.

Return to “Corporate”