A General MBA from good university or MBA from Embry Riddle?

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

ToFlyIsDivine
Rank 2
Rank 2

A General MBA from good university or MBA from Embry Riddle?

Post by ToFlyIsDivine »

Good day all,

Just thought I'd throw this thought out there...
I'm sure someone out there has thought of something similar...

I'm looking to do my MBA since I'm in the corporate world of aviation...

Since I'm planning to stick around in the industry for a long while...I've thought that an aviation focused mba from Embry Riddle would be a good choice....
But then I thought a little deeper and came up with the fear of the cyclical aspect of the aviation industry and thought that a mba from a good business school such as Ivey, Schulich, Rotman....etc....would be better...

Currently in airline, potential leap to airport authority in future years....

Has anyone encountered this dilemma?
I'd really love to hear your input...

Thank you very much!!!
---------- ADS -----------

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: A General MBA from good university or MBA from Embry Rid

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Embry Riddle is in fact a "good" university you are not going to get a second rate degree there as your title suggests. Tuition costs if I remember correctly from a few years ago, would rival any major university and in many cases be higher. I have had a few friends attend and of course to them it is the greatest school around. However, you are correct, your degree will be more specialized to aviation. At the end of the day, you will get to put MBA on your business cards and resume regardless of where you obtained it.

ToFlyIsDivine
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ToFlyIsDivine »

thank you for your input cdnpilot77!

you are right, no matter where i get my mba, it'll just be letters behind my name...

and yes embry riddle is a very good university in the aeronautical side of things....but i'm wondering if they are as good in the business side of things....

Thank you again for your comments!
cdnpilot77 wrote:Embry Riddle is in fact a "good" university you are not going to get a second rate degree there as your title suggests. Tuition costs if I remember correctly from a few years ago, would rival any major university and in many cases be higher. I have had a few friends attend and of course to them it is the greatest school around. However, you are correct, your degree will be more specialized to aviation. At the end of the day, you will get to put MBA on your business cards and resume regardless of where you obtained it.

scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by scopiton »

I'm doing a bachelor in business management with Embry and so far it's been a very good experience.
their distance learning programs are very well built and let you work on your own rythm.
as cdn77 said it's very aviation orientated but you'll start by studying general notions about management and business that will enable you to use it in any industry.
if you think about getting an airport authority related job Embry is a good place to study.
price is high but you get for what you pay.

ToFlyIsDivine
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ToFlyIsDivine »

thank you very much scop!!!

BWL
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BWL »

As a MBA grad, who started out in aviation but has since moved into another industry if you are planning on working in Canada, a MBA from a CDN university would be better appreciated by potential employers. You are with an airline already, ask for an interview with your President to discuss your options.

Joe Blow Schmo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Joe Blow Schmo »

I'd go with an MBA from a good business school. Where you go to school is just as important, if not more so, than what degree you achieved.

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

also consider university of north dakota(und) /they have a very good aviation focused program that is world renowned. and if you live in prov. ie mb or sask there tuition is alot less . many canadian colleges/universitys have agreements in place, that grant up to 40 or more credit hours to degrees. . not sure about mba though in that credit area. best of your studies to ya / :mrgreen:

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

BWL wrote:As a MBA grad, who started out in aviation but has since moved into another industry if you are planning on working in Canada, a MBA from a CDN university would be better appreciated by potential employers. You are with an airline already, ask for an interview with your President to discuss your options.
I second that. Canadian degrees are amongst the best rated in the world. Even for international employment, do not be ashamed to show your canadian credentials.
More important is to show physical attendance at a canadian university, than distance learning at a US University. :smt040

Success in life is when the cognac that you drink is older than the women you drink it with.
ToFlyIsDivine
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ToFlyIsDivine »

Thank you everyone for your input!

Currently in the stages of getting my GMAT done...

And you guys are right...getting a general MBA will allow much greater opportunities....

Thanks!!!

Keep the comments and inputs coming if there's more!!!

Freeride
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Freeride »

Try the university of Athabasca. I am currently taking some courses there and they are a lot less expensive than Embry riddle. http://www.mba.athabascau.ca/titanweb/a ... endocument

Is dat Pan Am on the runway, Isn't that veird?
pooleema
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pooleema »

When does an MBA student select a specialization to get in? I'm planning on applying for my MBA but do I need to know which MBA specialization I want to get in to during the application process to a top school?

kjt750
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kjt750 »

Great idea to pursue the MBA!

I am a corporate pilot, and am doing the Executive MBA through my local university (UofA). I looked at distance learning, but am very glad I decided to attend school. The insight and relationships that has come from my classmates is just as valuable as the education I am receiving. I am halfway through the two year program, and am enjoying it very much.

As an aside, the executives at my company have mentioned they prefer the classroom experience to the online or distance learning programs. That being said, I am sure there is lots of value from distance learning as well.

Good luck with the GMAT, it's lots of fun!

Cheers

Return to “Corporate”