CBAA Announces Immediate Changes Enabling Focus on Advocacy

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

CBAA Announces Immediate Changes Enabling Focus on Advocacy

Post by CD »

CBAA Announces Immediate Changes Enabling Focus on Advocacy, Building Lobbying Team

March 3, 2011

Ottawa, ON - The Canadian Business Aviation Association today announced that, effective immediately, Merlin Preuss, will be joining the CBAA as Vice President Government and Regulatory Affairs. Captain Preuss will be charged with building the CBAA’s long term advocacy and lobbying capabilities and ensuring leadership on legislative and policy matters.

“Merlin Preuss adds to the CBAA’s strong technical and operational expertise by leveraging our advocacy efforts with Transport Canada, and other key stakeholders,” Barone said. ”Canadian business aviation helps drive the Canadian economy and creates highly skilled jobs. With the the addition of Merlin Preuss to our team, CBAA is continuing to build the foundation that will enable the CBAA to be the leading advocate for operators in our community, and ensure that the legislative and regulatory environment helps promote the growth of business aviation in Canada.”

Merlin Preuss has over 40 years of experience in aviation and management, first as a pilot in the Canadian Air Force, then with Transport Canada (Department of Transportation) where he spent his last seven years in the public sector as the Director General Civil Aviation for Canada, and most recently as an aviation and management consultant. While Director General he oversaw the design, development and implementation of a Safety Management System (SMS) regulatory framework for the Canadian Aviation industry. He is recognized globally as an authority on risk management systems in aviation from an industry and regulatory authority perspective.

From the standpoint of regulation, the Canadian business aviation industry faces many complex challenges and Merlin will be an invaluable asset to our industry to overcome these challenges, Barone said.

CBAA Press Release
---------- ADS -----------

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: CBAA Announces Immediate Changes Enabling Focus on Advoc

Post by Cat Driver »

Am I surprised?

Not at all.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

" Captain" Preuss.......... please, that makes me puke. Years ago when I was there(TC) there was a move afoot to designate ourselves as CAIs the title as captain and all correspondace should be sign/noted as such. F----, here we were a bunch of 50 hr/yr wonders in our Be90/100 and later on C550 looking for that big designation. Some went along with this shit, mostly the ex-military as they were into titles/ranks. The civvy side laughed at this crap, i sure did and muttered on many an occasion "if you want the stars/stripes/designation get a job flying the heavy iron for the red maple leaf".

:roll: :vom:

x-wind
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by x-wind »

What's the CBAA's goal now?

They don't oversee or supervise business aviation anymore. Do they agree that it should be regulated the way it is? Canada is apparently the only country that distinguishes private operations to business private operations.

I wonder what are some of the things they're lobbying for will be now.

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Unbelievable...Nepotism and influence at its finest.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
SII
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SII »

you expect him to retire on a goverment salary?

Winning
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Lets see...air force pension....check.paid by Canadian taxpayers
federal govt pension... (average of top six years..he was the big bannana..executive level saary)...check..also paid by the taxpayers of Canada
Thunbing his nose at parliament...priceless

consultant after even the federal govt didnt like him....didnt seem to work out to well for him...something about nt being connected into money that is unaccounted for.

A great resource for an NGO as a government liason.

This is a story that has been epeated a few times by ex-TC employess. I still remember the saga of the one that got WJ shut down.

Accident speculation:
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

His appointment to such a position tells you all you need to know about the organization that hired him.

I wonder if Merlin will lobby to have TCCA pay me the $250,000 dollars they owe me because of the decisions he made as DGCA?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Just a thought from my pro-aviiation, anti-weasal agenda.

Many of us are members of CBAA. If you feel this appointment was in the benefit of all members and not a shameless attempt to hire someone who would otherwise be unemployable as a reward for the whole 604 fiasco in Canada, than send them a note . Remember , when TC still took their cut and we were forced to join the CBAA and pay for auditors etc...

On the other hand, If you dont think this appointment and the subsequent pay is where your CBAA membership dollars should be going, cancel your membership.

I think a few cancelations and non-renewals might send the right message.. As would a whole bunch of nice notes letting them know how pleased you are with their choice.

I know it is a typical Canadian thing to just shrug our shoulders and feel we cannot do anything about it, but here is a chance. You can send a nice note, or, simply, and without prejudice cancel your membership.

Accident speculation:
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Maybe I'm behind the latest rule structure, but are private operators still legally hooped into forced cbaa membership in order to hold a POC?

Not that I'm cbaa, not that I like the situation. But I'm sure aware of past shenanigans.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

On March 16, 2010, Transport Canada announced that as of April 1, 2011 it would take back all responsibility for certification and oversight of business aviation in Canada from the Canadian Business Aviation Association (CBAA). This transfer will bring together all aspects of business aviation regulation, certification and safety monitoring under one organization — Transport Canada.

More information here: Transport Canada - Business Aviation

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
junkyard
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by junkyard »

confusedalot:

You do not need to be a member of the CBAA to obtain a temporary private operator certificate under the Interim Order Respecting Private Operators, which came into effect on April 1st 2011. Although section 604.05 of the Interim Order speask to having an existing POC from the CBAA to be eligible to apply, you can speak to your POI and apply for an exemption that would enable you to obtain a TPOC without the requirement to hold a POC issued by the CBAA.

Keep in mind that where the Interim Order is silent on a praticular requirement, such as flight crew training and proficiency, the provisions of section 4 of the BA-OSS would apply for former CBAA POC holders and section 4 of Annex A of the exemption would apply to non CBAA POC holders.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Corporate”