Suncor?

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

patrickairlie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Suncor?

Post by patrickairlie »

I see Suncor is again looking for a Chief Pilot. Does anyone have any insight as to why they are still or again in search of a candidate? Who is currently in this position?
---------- ADS -----------

checksix560
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Suncor?

Post by checksix560 »

Rather than mentioning any names, remember that it was an interim position from when the previous Chief Pilot removed himself. Candidates have interviewed in past months but have been rejected due to corporate hiring policies that are based on nothing to do with aviation and more on their current relationship with their mother and if they occasionally dress in drag......

It truly should be the one of the best corporate flight departments in the country, however, the grass is not always greener! The current Chief has done a great job in the position even when upper management has both hands tied behind his back when there are operational issues. And lets not all forget, that it is always appropriate for line pilots to sewer your chief pilot in writing to corporate management with false and imaginary accusations. A great career move I am sure.

Operating 3 CRJ-900's, (the third arrives at the end of Feb, no current plans to hire line pilots to crew this aircraft) 1 CRJ-200, C-750 and C-680, Suncor should be a benchmark of corporate aviation in the world. Currently there is considerable turmoil in the flight department which is unfortunate. However, I am sure that going to Firebag everyday the the occasional Saskatoon for variety must be fun. Also, the pay is not all that either. "Stock options" are a joke and one is lucky to get them. Current Jazz RJ Captains are paid better. I hate too say it but the kool-aid drinking and "Evil Empire" are looking good more everyday if one is considering applying to Suncor.

Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

— Captain Rex Kramer

patrickairlie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by patrickairlie »

You paint a bleak picture of the place. Hats off to those taking the job now.

Can you elaborate on the corporate policy? I recall a time when Canadian Airlines would only hire people with a degree. There is no correlation between a degree and the type of employee.

slowstream
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by slowstream »

patrickairlie wrote:You paint a bleak picture of the place. Hats off to those taking the job now.

Can you elaborate on the corporate policy? I recall a time when Canadian Airlines would only hire people with a degree. There is no correlation between a degree and the type of employee.
There is no correlation as you described, it is however very political!

I can attest having worked there in the past! The captains pay is 30 to 40K under what it should be! There have been 3 Chief pilots in as many years, I worked with a couple and their both great guys who I would work for again any day! So why 3 chief pilots in as many years? Hmmmm!

You figure it out

The flying is definitely boring, the pay for the Captains poor, the benefits are crap. The schedule is okay. There's a good handful of people there who are a pleasure to work with and fly with but thats exists a lot of places and hardly offsets the rest of the politics and garbage there!

Under the current management with the current policies I would avoid the place like the Spanish flu

flyingcatfish
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyingcatfish »

i thought it was more like 5 CP's in 5 years....soon to be 6 when they have their new interim CP I guess

slowstream
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by slowstream »

flyingcatfish wrote:i thought it was more like 5 CP's in 5 years....soon to be 6 when they have their new interim CP I guess
Very True, but I thought that 3 would identify the problem enough....... I guess 5 brings it home more! (lol)

sorry

patrickairlie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by patrickairlie »

Unfortunately, in a world like that, a change in culture results in a house cleaning. Sounds like the next person in might have to have a body count to get things moving in the right direction.

Green Onions
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Green Onions »

Why would they hire line pilots when there is a endless supply of Jazz captains who are more than willing to work for $500 a day. Suncor doesn't have to pay training, vac, sick time, benefits, etc, etc.

Hard to blame them.... Pilots really seem not to be all that smart sometimes... Every man for him self!

Last edited by Green Onions on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patrickairlie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by patrickairlie »

In the short term, Jazz pilots are a good solution. They come equipped with a wealth of experience and a willingness to work. In the longer term however, the soft issues will inevitably override this solution < my opinion only>.
If Suncor is in the process of building a culture, full-time employee/pilots are the way to go.

slowstream
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by slowstream »

Some valid points, maybe, if your talking about pilots being our own worst enemies.

However Suncor talks about company and family culture, yet their actions speak volumes to the contrary!

Talk is cheap, which is why we have so many politicians and its our actions which we're judged by.

They're like so many other conglomerates in that they only show care for people when it serves them or when they're forced to by legislation, not because its the right thing to do!

Otherwise they only care about increasing profits and decreasing costs.

Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Liftdump »

GLEX=$1500.00 per day
HS125/C680=$800.00 per day

Dump truck driver Suncor=$600.00 per day

CRJ at Suncor=$500.00 per day. Please,please tell me this is wrong.

rapid602
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rapid602 »

Someone call me I'll go an do it, if no one else wants it.

ajet32
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ajet32 »

OK; a couple of relevant things. The Captains pay is not $30-$40 below industry standard when you take the complete compensation package. It includes bonus and for some RSU's.
The total is well in the industry standard of $120k plus.

The $500/day is what some contractors were paid by a provider 2 years ago. I don't know what the pay is now. It was always in USD which at one time was a good bit better.

I have no idea nor do I care what a dump truck driver living in camp makes. I am home every night in my own bed. After 20 plus years of not having that I really quite enjoy it. No more 5 day pairings or 8 weeks on 4 weeks off.

Is it perfect; NO. I don't know of anyplace that is. It is getting better as time goes forward. A new airplane arrived last week. This will ensure some hiring and that is good for everyone.

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

of the drivers I know there, which is most of them they are a happier group than many.

I'll be at Jetz for an update later this week

George Taylor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by George Taylor »

Can anyone comment on the FO positions, will they lead to full-time employment, time frame for that to happen, pay/ schedule?
Or is this the kind of job where they already have the candidates and this is just a formality?
Thanks in advance for any info

CloudCover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CloudCover »

Anyone get a call back?

Above 29.92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Above 29.92 »

From what I understand they are hiring six drivers. They have started interviews. Some of the positions will be required to relocate to YEG, as they are starting a new base there.

ajet32
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ajet32 »

They are hiring 6 "Pilots". 3 Captains and 3 F/O's.

Return to “Corporate”