AVCANADA

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:53 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: High Blood Pressure
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:46 pm 
Rank 0
Rank 0

Let me start with saying please feel free to PM me if that is more suitable.

I am giving serious consideration to a late start in this profession. I have always had consistently high blood pressure. Would taking blood pressure medication disqualify me from obtaining my CAT 1 medical?

It runs in the family and my mother who is fairly healthy could no longer control her BP through exercise and diet and has to take medication to control her BP now. This leads me to believe that I will likely end up with the same fate eventually.

The Transport Canada medical FAQ section seems to only address “Renal Stone, SSRI, HIV, and Diabetes”

I’ve had a bit of a read through the Guidelines for medical examiners by conditions: cardiovascular disease section, but I’m no doctor! It talks about “in license holders”, but does that apply to fresh applicants as well?

Not sure if it matters or would affect a future application, but I failed a CAT 1 two years ago due to my high BP when I was curious if I could pass it. The doctor was concerned about my high BP and I asked him if it was even worth submitting to Transport Canada, but he said to try anyway.

How well/badly would it go over if I contacted the following with an inquiry? (I know what dealing with the government can be like lol)

PACIFIC REGION
British Columbia

Civil Aviation Medicine
Transport Canada
820-800 Burrard St.
Vancouver, BC
V6Z 2J8

Telephone:  1-800-305-2059
Telephone:  (604) 666-5601 (General)
Facsimile: (604) 666-0145
E-mail:  rosmin.nathoo@tc.gc.ca

Post subject: Re: High Blood Pressure
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:32 pm 
Rank 6
Rank 6

I nor anyone on this board will be able to help you unless an AME is on here. My 2 cents, contact them and see where it goes. The medical professionals are the only one s with an idea on what means a criteria.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:38 pm 
Rank 10
Rank 10

Hypertension won't disqualify you alone.

It can be managed with medication.

There are a couple medications that aren't compatible with a Cat I med... but many that are.

Find a good Dr.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:58 pm 
Rank 5
Rank 5

I had issues with my blood pressure earlier in my career, entire family has battled with it. Switched to a vegetarian diet for the last 15 years and I sit around 115/65, obviously your mileage may vary and its not for everyone, but if anything, I just wanted to say others have been there and found a way.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:58 pm 
Rank 3
Rank 3

Go all veg man. Start there, and give it 6 weeks to 3months, then assess.

Read "Engine 2 diet" - Rip Esselstyn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:50 am 
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thanks for the replies!

By pure coincidence I ended up stumbling on a show called "plant pure" on Netflix last night so I figured I might as well watch it. The show was interesting. I think I may give going veg a shot. Nothing to loose (other than hopefully some weight and bp points)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:26 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

jdm1982 wrote:
Nothing to loose (other than hopefully some weight and bp points)

....and any semblance of enjoyment from eating. :wink:

Seriously though, if you can find a doctor that isn't a CAME or directly associated with TC but knows a bit about pilots as they could possibly be a source of consultation before talking with a CAME.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:23 pm 
Rank 5
Rank 5

I've heard of a couple of cases where prescription drugs were accepted for blood pressure control and they regained and kept their Cat 1.

So I don't think you are condemned at all.

for comparison purposes, my pressure is typically at 129/80, not the greatest but within limits. I did get a scare once when a CAME recorded 140/100 and had all kinds of grief from TC until I got three independent readings well below that, and everything fell into place.

Moral of the story is that it is perhaps not that big of a deal.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:02 am 
Rank 0
Rank 0

All I can say about this, it is a traitor disease. Healthy living is a must!