Crossfit health issues?

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Message
Author
groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:10 am
Location: A Smokn' Hole

Re: Crossfit health issues?

#26 Post by groundpilot » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:24 pm

One of the biggest challenges I find is the various gym qualities throughout my layovers.

I’ve transitioned to more plyometric workouts and I think they are quite beneficial and don’t require equipment with minimal risk. Since the hotels have wifi, I find fitness blender (https://www.fitnessblender.com) a good spot to find workouts that you can filter to your time available. They are challenging and you just do what they do so no thinking required.

I read these articles debating the benefits of HIIT workouts but it’s my opinion they are great. I generally feel much better afterwards vice sitting in a hotel room and watching Dr Phil. I sleep better, am more focused and keeps me away from alcohol.
---------- ADS -----------

Kejidog
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Crossfit health issues?

#27 Post by Kejidog » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:10 am

Unlike fightclub the first rule of crossfit is to tell everyone. I work as a full time firefighter with several high level very competitive athletes. The most injuries from exercise on and off our job come from the crossfit gym. If you are not planning on entering the olympics,why try to train like you are.


It is almost to the point that any of these type of wokouts on duty are pretty much banned by our members. We work out using interval training but not to the crazy extermes that this crossfit fad espouses.

Moderation in most aspects of anything is a good idea.
---------- ADS -----------

upnatem
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:30 am

Re: Crossfit health issues?

#28 Post by upnatem » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:52 pm

makmoco, I think it's cute that even though you seem to have the ability to search on the internet for real information as evidenced by...
makmoco wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:46 pm
Found this quotes on articles:

"According to researchers at the University of Illinois at Chicago and Kaiser Permanente, white men in particular who exercise at high intensities are 86 per cent more likely to develop plaque buildup in their arteries than those who exercise at low intensities."

"Another study also found that young men who engaged in endurance exercise for more than five hours a week may up their risk of developing an irregular heart beat later in life by 19 per cent compared to men who only did less than one hour a week."
......you come to an anonymous forum and ask for anecdotes. I guess maybe those quotes may not be from the purported studies themselves but a cut and paste from some other forum? And then you attack someone because you don't like the way they respond. Most excellent.
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
makmoco
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Crossfit health issues?

#29 Post by makmoco » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:24 pm

upnatem wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:52 pm
makmoco, I think it's cute that even though you seem to have the ability to search on the internet for real information as evidenced by...
makmoco wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:46 pm
Found this quotes on articles:

"According to researchers at the University of Illinois at Chicago and Kaiser Permanente, white men in particular who exercise at high intensities are 86 per cent more likely to develop plaque buildup in their arteries than those who exercise at low intensities."

"Another study also found that young men who engaged in endurance exercise for more than five hours a week may up their risk of developing an irregular heart beat later in life by 19 per cent compared to men who only did less than one hour a week."
......you come to an anonymous forum and ask for anecdotes. I guess maybe those quotes may not be from the purported studies themselves but a cut and paste from some other forum? And then you attack someone because you don't like the way they respond. Most excellent.
upnatem I think its cute you want to participate with no facts or information whatsoever. As you know, avcanada is a forum for pilots, therefore, questions regarding the profession are welcome here. Please be objective, It's not about liking someones response or not, but if its actually contributing to the thread instead of just pissing on it and attacking the value of the question. Theres one reason forums have rules.
As you can see, there are several good replies from people that are as well interested in the subject and that give out pretty good recommendations on the subject. I want to invite you to read the whole thread again and don't engage in the negative responses. In regards to the cut and paste, I really don't understand what you are talking about.
---------- ADS -----------

upnatem
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:30 am

Re: Crossfit health issues?

#30 Post by upnatem » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:37 am

makmoco wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:24 pm
In regards to the cut and paste, I really don't understand what you are talking about.
Not surprised, really. But it does answer my question.

Peace out.
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
makmoco
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Crossfit health issues?

#31 Post by makmoco » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:42 pm

upnatem wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:37 am
makmoco wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:24 pm
In regards to the cut and paste, I really don't understand what you are talking about.
Not surprised, really. But it does answer my question.

Peace out.
right...

Peace.
---------- ADS -----------

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1455
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:30 am
Location: the stars playground

Re: Crossfit health issues?

#32 Post by SuperchargedRS » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:15 pm

Kejidog wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:10 am
Unlike fightclub the first rule of crossfit is to tell everyone. I work as a full time firefighter with several high level very competitive athletes. The most injuries from exercise on and off our job come from the crossfit gym. If you are not planning on entering the olympics,why try to train like you are.


It is almost to the point that any of these type of wokouts on duty are pretty much banned by our members. We work out using interval training but not to the crazy extermes that this crossfit fad espouses.

Moderation in most aspects of anything is a good idea.

Sounds like it's more a problem with the people being stupid than the exercise.

I know lots of chicks who do crossfit, some can hardly park a car without hitting something and they manage to not hurt them selves with crossfit. :lol:

I mean if you have no idea where your limits are, I really wonder how you have survived this long in life.
---------- ADS -----------

Kejidog
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Crossfit health issues?

#33 Post by Kejidog » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:05 am

Sounds like it's more a problem with the people being stupid than the exercise.


Well in your expert opinion you must be so able to assess exercise routines from 2000 km away.

I’ll let all the kinesiology students know that you are gonna put them out of work.

God i just love asshat posters who know everthing.
---------- ADS -----------

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1455
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:30 am
Location: the stars playground

Re: Crossfit health issues?

#34 Post by SuperchargedRS » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:09 pm

Kejidog wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:05 am
Sounds like it's more a problem with the people being stupid than the exercise.


Well in your expert opinion you must be so able to assess exercise routines from 2000 km away.

I’ll let all the kinesiology students know that you are gonna put them out of work.

God i just love asshat posters who know everthing.

Sweet baby jesus.....

Do I know everything, no, do I know enough to be able to work out without hurting myself, yes.

If that's impressive to you, or sounds like a "know it all thing" to say, I'd wager you're easily impressed and know very little :roll:

I miss when people had common sense.
---------- ADS -----------

Post Reply

Return to “Health & Fitness”