Thyroid Cancer

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

C-GGGQ
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Thyroid Cancer

#1 Post by C-GGGQ » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:07 pm

Just before starting a new job I got really sick. Turned out to be a bad case of Mono. However during all the testing (and short hospitalization) turned out I have Thyroid cancer and need that sucker removed. With the thyroid removed I will in essence have hypothyroidism (be on the same pill as that anyway, for the rest of my life) now I have told of people still flying after getting their thyroid removed so it seems to not be a permanent grounding hopefully. I guess my question is.... Technically nobody has told me my medical is invalid. Am I supposed to have reported this or should the doctor have done so? Or just shut up and keep my head down :mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Thyroid Cancer

#2 Post by 5x5 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:08 am

I guess everyone makes their own call about reporting or not. It does seem that there is an expectation that if the situation warrants much soul searching then a self-imposed grounding may be in order while getting it figured out. Of course the type of flying and the risk to others - i.e. passengers - has to be considered as well. It is unlikely a regular doctor will necessarily know what is ground-able or not but my understanding is that as a pilot you are expected to at least make sure you have told them you do have a pilot's licence. Your GP is able to make queries to TC regarding a patient's situation without divulging personal details - at least that's what my family doctor did or me. I think it's a personal choice for them as to how much they want to be involved.

Here is one place to start for more information - TC Handbook for Civil Aviation Medical Examiners
Do a search for hypothyrodism and you'll see what it says.

Good luck - medical issues and these type of decision are always difficult to deal with.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain

C-GGGQ
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#3 Post by C-GGGQ » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:14 pm

I suppose I should specify. I did in fact ground myself called the company I was going to start my PPC with and told them I couldn't. (They kindly told me to let them know when I was good to go and they'd throw me on the next class available) my GP is also my CAME. Just not sure I actually have to call TC or what or wait till the CAME rules on my next renewal in the spring after my surgery.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

#4 Post by photofly » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:23 pm

I believe you have two responsibilities. The first is 404.06(1)(a)
404.06 (1) Subject to subsection (3), no holder of a permit, licence or rating shall exercise the privileges of the permit, licence or rating if

(a) one of the following circumstances exists and could impair the holder’s ability to exercise those privileges safely:

(i) the holder suffers from an illness, injury or disability,

(ii) the holder is taking a drug, or

(iii) the holder is receiving medical treatment;
That is, don't fly if you have a condition or you're receiving medical treatment that makes you unfit to fly.

And secondly to inform your doctor and optometrist that you hold an aviation document (Aeronautics Act, 6.5(2)).

Every doctor and optometrist in Canada (not just a CAME) is required by 6.5(1) of the Aeronautics Act to report anyone with an aviation document who has a condition likely to constitute a hazard to aviation "inform a medical adviser designated by the Minister forthwith of that opinion and the reasons therefor." If they do that then TC will contact you to tell you if your medical certificate is suspended.

Other than that it's up to your CAME to approve your request for a medical renewal at the appropriate time. The CAME has the responsibility to confer with TC if in doubt.

I don't see anywhere a requirement for you to report anything to TC yourself, and I don't know what TC would do with that information if you provided it to them. You're not a doctor and you wouldn't know what to report.

The medical handbook referred to above says:
Thyroid Disorders:
Hypothyroidism is acceptable if adequately treated and stabilized.
So you are now on notice that you have a condition which until stabilized meets the test in 404.06(1)(a)(i). So you have to ground yourself. But I still don't see anything that requires you to tell the government about it. That's your doctor's job.

“This isn’t flying, it’s falling. With style.”

Return to “Health & Fitness”