The importance of muscle mass, strength, and cardiorespiratory fitness for longevity

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

The importance of muscle mass, strength, and cardiorespiratory fitness for longevity

Post by CpnCrunch »

https://peterattiamd.com/ama27/

TL;DR: "If you compare someone of low fitness to elite, it is a five fold difference in mortality over a decade"
---------- ADS -----------

CYERCaptainPooping
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: The importance of muscle mass, strength, and cardiorespiratory fitness for longevity

Post by CYERCaptainPooping »

This involves personal responsibility.

I would rather continue blaming everyone else for spreading disease and call them murderers for not wearing masks and getting vaccinated. When I die, it is everyone else’s fault. We need laws against everyone killing me.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: The importance of muscle mass, strength, and cardiorespiratory fitness for longevity

Post by CpnCrunch »

CYERCaptainPooping wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:13 pm This involves personal responsibility.

I would rather continue blaming everyone else for spreading disease and call them murderers for not wearing masks and getting vaccinated. When I die, it is everyone else’s fault. We need laws against everyone killing me.
Is it your point of view that we should do nothing and just let the unfit fatties and old timers die of covid?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Very important to be healthy. Guaranteed to protect you from COVID.
Worked really well for Bill Phillips.

https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/unvaccinate ... 19727.html
https://www.muscleandfitness.com/featur ... ated-asap/
https://www.fox8live.com/2021/08/25/fit ... 19-battle/

He might be out of his wheelchair by now. I'm not sure.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

photofly wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:38 pm Very important to be healthy. Guaranteed to protect you from COVID.
Worked really well for Bill Phillips.
With covid, being healthy is not a panacea. Obesity and the like only increase the risk by a certain amount, but you can still die or be hospitalised even if you are perfectly healthy, especially older people.

But this thread is more just about health in general.

CYERCaptainPooping
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CYERCaptainPooping »

CpnCrunch wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:25 pm
CYERCaptainPooping wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:13 pm This involves personal responsibility.

Is it your point of view that we should do nothing and just let the unfit fatties and old timers die of covid?
No this was not the point I was making. The point I was making was that I believe people should focus on personal responsibilities before social responsibility.

Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Castorero »

CpnCrunch... A lot of food for thought that you have brought up!

Reading the material in your link, I must say that stark as the evidence is, it is pretty much factually spot on.
Most of us give our present or future descent into decrepitude, very little thought until the horse has left the barn.

By age fifty, we embark on a downward slide in so many areas that if no effort is made on a daily basis to slow its advance, we end up at death's door, a mere shadow of our former selves.

Unfortunately, we were never designed for longevity, to wit the midlife onset of both male and female menopause.

Without the abundance of testosterone, growth hormone, estrogen and progesterone to name a few, it is near impossible to slow or reverse the downward slide of muscle mass and concomitant physiological functions that we generally take for granted.

Fortunately, we can slow the inevitable physical and mental decline if we make the effort and if we have the counsel and encouragement of a sympathetic physician who can prescribe the appropriate hormonal replacements before it is too late, AND will diligently follow your progress through life. Not an easy thing, I am afraid , in this day and age of revolving door medical practice.
I will add two things that I have observed over forty years in the trenches, that seem to go hand in hand with longevity.

I have never come across anyone in their late eighties or nineties that was obese or overweight, or that at the same time did not have a purpose in life still.
This last point, in my mind, is probably of greater importance than anything else. If we have little to look forward to, to finish, accomplish or influence, the gig is up sooner than later.

It matters little what the goal, aspiration or desire , just that it exists.

I remember a neighbor of mine who at age 85 was still feeding 60 cows all on his own. I asked him , one day, why he was still doing this, he said " those cows give me a reason to get up in the morning ."

Never retire unless you have something to retire to, and never wait for retirement to start doing the things that you've always wanted to do. You will have at best two to three years to do some of those things before the curtain falls.

A lot has been said about diet and exercise, and most of it is true.

I will summarize it by what I have come to conclude on this topic,

Avoid processed food, preserved food and food that is accompanied by names you cant pronounce, and in particular avoid refined carbohydrates and sugars in any form.
Anything approaching a vegan diet is as good as it gets to support your health into old age.

I have fought this last urge for a long time, but the evidence is too compelling not to finally give in to it.

I predict that we are on the cusp of a new branch of science developing in our lifetime, and that is the understanding of a large human organ that is bigger than the liver, the Intestinal Biome.
All the bacteria, viruses, and other living organisms that inhabit us, everywhere, will surely finally get the attention that has so far eluded most of them.
And, yes, almost all of them like to be fed green stuff...

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

There are certain places in the world that have more people over 100 years old than anywhere else. The common factors tend to be things such as diet, social contact, exercise, and lack of stress. High levels of sunlight exposure also seems to be a factor in reducing mortality. You can't cheat death forever, but you can improve the chances of living a healthy life to 100 vs dying a slow painful death at 70 from cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc.

Morocjo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Morocjo »

Being healthier does not protect you from anything. It just gives you a little more chance to survive in a critical situation like when you get COVID or have to fight for your life. It also makes the quality of your life better.

Marie143
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Marie143 »

Hoping everyone is doing well now.kitchen remodeling in Fort Worth Texas. Health is wealth.. Take care.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Morocjo wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:37 pm Being healthier does not protect you from anything. It just gives you a little more chance to survive in a critical situation like when you get COVID or have to fight for your life. It also makes the quality of your life better.
Its also protection against heart disease and cancer. Not complete protection, but you can certainly reduce your risk by a very significant amount.

Return to “Health & Fitness”