Hemochromatosis?

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

STH
Rank 1
Rank 1

Hemochromatosis?

Post by STH »

A bit of a long shot, but does anyone else out there suffer from this? It's an hereditary blood disorder that stores iron causing excessively high ferretin levels. The disorder itself is not really the problem it's the effect on internal organs that potentially does the damage. It is extremely treatable however and if caught early enough should limit health complications.

I was diagnosed not long ago, verified no internal damage, and have started treatments but it's time to take it to my ME. Naturally I'm worried about what he'll do or what direction TC will take. Just wondering if anyone has gone through the process?
---------- ADS -----------

fleetcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Hemochromatosis?

Post by fleetcanuck »

A friend of mine has this and completed a full career at Air Canada. I do not know if he had any restrictions, however I do know he followed the recommended treatment programme. Best thing is to talk to your CAME.

STH
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by STH »

^ Yeah, I'll have to come out with it no doubt. Appreciate the that info though, I feel a little more at ease.

Essbee79
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Essbee79 »

Hey STH

Send me a PM. I was just diagnosed with with also.

Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Castorero »

I would be curious to hear how your condition came to be diagnosed.

For sure this is not a problem that should affect your flying career. Even though it is a genetically inherited condition , generally its effects do not rear their ugly head until the fifties or sixties.

Now that you have been diagnosed it is a good idea for family members to be screened.

You can read a very good commentary on this on the Mayo clinic website, very clear and concise.
Just insert - hemochromatosis in their search, as link doesn't work fully for me

www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hemochromatosis

Return to “Health & Fitness”