Help Advise Please - Colour deficient. Red - Green

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Quest
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help Advise Please - Colour deficient. Red - Green

Post by Quest »

I'm 21 and want to be a commercial pilot.
I just had a colour blind test done and was told I have Colour deficient Red - Green.

The eye doctor couldn't answer whether I could or could not be a Commercial Pilot so he sent me to in his opinion an Optometrist thats really good and could answer this question.
I went to this appointment and the Optometrist who is not a aviation Medical Doctor, said straight out that sure I could be a Commercial Pilot.
3 years ago after high school I was told by a eye doctor that I could not be a Commercial Pilot because of my condition and it shatered my dream of flying as a Commercial Pilot and now out of the Blue this one Doctor puts hope into my head.

This has turned everything upside down in my world and I'm so confused. I haven't started any flight training and I know it a lot of time money and sacrifice to get to commercial status.
Can anyone offer any advice as in who should I be talking to to help me make this life decision before I waist multiple years beating a dead horse to find out I can't at the end.

Transport Canada?
Contact Commercial Airlines and who?
What kind of medical examiners?
---------- ADS -----------

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Help Advise Please - Colour deficient. Red - Green

Post by Adam Oke »

You can proceed with further testing. I believe if you can pass the Farnsworth D-15 Test, you can get an unrestricted medical. I wouldn't give up just yet! I have a boss who is colour deficient who owns and operates a very reputable 702 operation. You can most certainly have an excellent career in aviation, even with a restricted medical.

You can still get a commercial license with a restriction to Day VFR, if you are unable to pass any tests. There are plenty of jobs out there and many you can make a career out of -- being day VFR only. Some careers of honourable mention being float flying and aerial application.

There are a ton of threads on this. You are not the only one out there using D-15 testing, or proceeding with a restricted medical.

Ref: https://www.google.ca/?ion=1&espv=2#q=c ... a&safe=off

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
Quest
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Quest »

Thank you so much Adam I really appreciate your time and feedback on this.
Thx for the tip on other flying careers. It takes a bit of a load off my shoulders.

If anyone else has any adivice , experiences or any feedback I welcome it very much thank you.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The best advice is to stop asking for advice on forums and from doctors and optometrists who are not Civil Aviation Medical Examiners and go and get a proper aviation medical exam.

The relevant entry in the CAME handbook
http://www.tc.gc.ca/publications/EN/TP1 ... 13312E.pdf
says:

If applicant fails pseudoisochromatic plate test, he will be given restricted medical certificate (Daylight only, 2 way radio required at controlled airports). Those who fail plate test may try a colour lantern test or Farnsworth D-15.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Can you pass this?

http://www.color-blindness.com/2009/03/ ... ness-test/

If you can you ain't color blind.

cadoc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cadoc »

Hey there İ was in a similar situation myself. İ am currently working on my cpl and have an unrestricted cat 1 medical, all i had to do was pass the color arrangement test. In your position i would go to an optometrist and try the d15, and keep the test results so you can bring it to your AME visit.

jdm1982
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jdm1982 »

I can't see the numbers on the Ishihara test, but went to an optometrist and passed the Farnsworth D-15. He wrote a letter saying that I passed and I gave it to the doctor to submit with my medical to Transport Canada. Just call the optometrist ahead of time and verify they offer the test.

Return to “Health & Fitness”