Someone please help me i have a complicated situation

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Sy.Mc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Someone please help me i have a complicated situation

Post by Sy.Mc »

Hi my question is regarding my medical history toward becoming a pilot here in Canada.

When i was 16 years old i used smoke and be under the influence of weed.. like a lot of teenagers, it was another day having "fun" but this day i had a bad trip and felt i had to be admited to the hospital because i noticed my mind wasnt feeling okay. I stayed over night and a psychiatric diagnosed me with drug induced phsycosis. Im not psychotic, i never was, ive never been suicidal or had any mantal issues apart from that night i dont smoke weed anymore or drink ive grown up and im now 19 trying to pursue my dream of flying the flag one day. When i do my medical, will this diagnosis being on my record dis qualify me of being a pilot? If so is there anything i can do being that it was "drug induced" not me actually having a mental disorder? Would you please be able to give me as much detail to confirm whether i can or can not be a pilot in Canada i would appreciate it very much
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Someone please help me i have a complicated situation

Post by CpnCrunch »

I'm pretty sure TC doesn't actually check your medical records. They only know what you tell them, or what is found during your aviation medical.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

If my experience with Canada's medical system is anything to go by they probably have lost everything by now, that's if it was even properly filed in the first place.

In Canada if you have any medical problems that require careful tracking of results, history etc. you need to track it yourself, keep a file and bring it with you every time you see the doctor because they constantly loose things, don't have the report in the computer etc. etc.

My guess is you don't have much to worry about ;)

MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrAviator19 »

Oh geez! I hope we never cross paths and share a cockpit :lol:

Jokes aside, I think your aviation medical is what counts. As long as you're healthy and clean now, your medical history should be of little concern but don't quote me on this.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

One of the biggest pothead friends i had when i was growing up is now comfortably in the left seat at aircanada...so i dont think that it will affect your career that much. you'll find, as you get into flying that most of us are pretty conservative though, so you might want to put down the bong.

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Be the person you need to be in your aviation medical. Less is more.

I'm sure you'll address any current medical conditions or history adequately and confidentially with your family doctor.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

altiplano wrote:Be the person you need to be in your aviation medical. Less is more.

I'm sure you'll address any current medical conditions or history adequately and confidentially with your family doctor.
I would just add that you are obliged to tell your family doctor that you are a pilot, and they are obliged to determine whether it will affect aviation safety.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... al-740.htm

The original poster's condition doesn't fall into this category, but if you have current type 2 diabetes or hypertension, for example, you really should bring that up at your aviation medical.

Return to “Health & Fitness”