concerta/ ADHD/depression

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

lindsay234
Rank 0
Rank 0

concerta/ ADHD/depression

Post by lindsay234 »

Hi! Im a 19 year old female currently in ground school working on getting my PPL. I come from a long line of pilots and I aim to be a 5th generation pilot for the airline my family has flown for. When i was 17 i was perscribed concerta for ADHD, i was never formally diagnosed, just pretty much walked in and asked if i could be medicated for school. I am considered academically gifted so I often got bored wih high school and the concerta helped me. I didnt take it every day nor was it necessary at all to take it. Flash forward to now, I have not been diagnosed with depression but after a life changing injury/surgery i was feeling low so i began taking concerta for that as it is also perscribed as an anti depressant. It does make my mood better, but I dont find it necessary whatsoever to take it and could go off easily if necessary.
My question is, how big of a problem is this going to be in my medical? If i go to my doctor and basically get it exed off my record will that be enough? I don't show any signs of ADHD so if i was formally tested i would not be diagnosed. Im pretty worried about this so any advice or knowlege would help!! thanks!!
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: concerta/ ADHD/depression

Post by North Shore »

AFAIK, short story is no flying while under Dr's care for depression (And, IIRC, 6 months from ceasing treatment to medical reinstatement.)
Bottom line - call and make an appointment with a CAME, and discuss.. Or, you could call transport and talk to the Medical person in your region. I've found them to be quite helpful over the years..

Good Luck!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I'll send you a PM. Medication isn't the answer and generally just replaces one problem with another. You can do it on your own.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

DanWEC wrote:I'll send you a PM. Medication isn't the answer and generally just replaces one problem with another. You can do it on your own.
Where did you get your medical degree? Interesting you chose aviation while you’re obviously well versed and studied in medicine.

It’s hard to decide if your post is more arrogant or ignorant.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Sorry you took it that way, quite a ways off the mark.

I am very familar with the topic, and I'll be telling her that things will get better, but pretty sure this has absolutely nothing to do with you, so we'll leave it at that.

Cheers

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Cognitive behavior therapy with a psychologist could work. No medication and nothing to worry about (in terms of your aviation doctor or TC finding out). It's all confidential and (unless you threaten to hurt yourself or others) will never be passed on to anyone; not even your family doctor.

Edit: I'll add this, the only way to find out exactly is to talk to a medical professional. Don't come to an online forum for such important things. Most of us here are complete morons (including myself, sometimes) and I wouldn't want you to get the wrong advice... Your well being is more important than any stupid career.

Das ist mir wurst...
omgwereallgoingtodie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by omgwereallgoingtodie »

it is entirely possible to maintain a class 3 medical whilst on medication for depression. I speak from current experience

kevind
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kevind »

My experience was Transport would rather have a untreated depressed pilot flying rather than a properly treated one.

omgwereallgoingtodie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by omgwereallgoingtodie »

Funny , my experience was the exact opposite.

I phoned medical branch in Toronto to self report as unfit. I got a letter suspending my medical,
they asked for a report from my family doctor documenting

Background
o Start date
o Symptoms
o Treatment
o Compliance
· Medication history
o Side effects
· Current symptoms (symptom free?)
· Response to treatment
· Prognosis ( best estimate)

I faxed this back to them, my medical was reinstated within a month.

Of course the devil is in the details. I wasn't deemed likely to harm myself or others or suffering from any serious side effects from the medication.
I have to provide a medical note every six months. This is now literally a one liner " nothing has changed"
I think they wanted my meds to be stable for a period of time before reinstating. By the time I'd self reported i'd already been stable for 6 months or so

Return to “Health & Fitness”