Dislocated shoulder

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

CPL2010
Rank 0
Rank 0

Dislocated shoulder

Post by CPL2010 »

Hello everyone
My shoulder has been dislocated for few times last decade :( :( , so the doctor recommends doing surgery for it, any advice or recommendation.any one have the same issue and facing problem to maintain first-class medical
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Dislocated shoulder

Post by Castorero »

Ouch!! Several times!

Not a fun thing, that is for sure.

It used to be that if you dislocated once and things healed up nicely, you may not have another recurrence.

After a couple of repeats, it means the integrity of the joint is disrupted, owing primarily to cartilage and ligament damage, and it will not get better.

After two dislocations, most Orthopods recommend surgery.

For a pilot, a shoulder dislocation mid-flight would be a serious problem and I suspect that most CAMEs would disable one with proven recurrent dislocations, if they were made aware of it.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Ouch. And I thought my knee sprain that hasn't fully healed in six months was threatening enough.

To be fair - that knee sprain could, theoretically, prevent me from recovering from a spin, and it's something I've considered, although in my case it's not serious enough to warrant serious concern, at least according to my CAME. But I would trust his judgement if he said it would.

I'll ask you this - could you pull back at +4G, if your shoulder popped out? Nevermind what your doctor thinks - what do you think?

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
CPL2010
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CPL2010 »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:33 pm Ouch. And I thought my knee sprain that hasn't fully healed in six months was threatening enough.

To be fair - that knee sprain could, theoretically, prevent me from recovering from a spin, and it's something I've considered, although in my case it's not serious enough to warrant serious concern, at least according to my CAME. But I would trust his judgement if he said it would.

I'll ask you this - could you pull back at +4G, if your shoulder popped out? Nevermind what your doctor thinks - what do you think?
Why I should be in a 4g situation in the first place :D :D :D I am not a fighter pilot and I am not going to fly 737 max any soon.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Do you have a Short- or Long-term disability plan at your work?

I lost my medical a few years back for a period of time; thankfully, I had a decent LTD plan: it was relieving to get my medical sorted while not having to worry about losing my house/job/career.

My advice would be to consult with your CAME, take the time off necessary, and get the surgery done - then you won't have to consistently worry 'will today be the day that it dislocates?'

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Caterpillar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Caterpillar »

Get the latarjet surgery, 6-8 weeks recovery.

Since I’m flying the King Air, does that qualify me to fly the Queen of the skies?
waterdog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by waterdog »

Ouch, that hurts! I had my shoulder dislocate 7 times before I finally got it fixed. Ask around as you want someone who specializes in shoulders, pm if you want more info. I had my shoulder fixed 10 yrs ago and it has been bombproof since, with no problem whitewater kayaking, rock climbing and skiing. The recovery time is pretty long, as once you are out of the sling after 6 weeks there are weeks of physio getting it mobile, flexible and strong enough to be useful. Its been a while since I have had to go through this but I would count on being down for 4 months.

I'm not sure what a physician would say or how it would affect a commercial licence, but how well you could fly a plane would really depend on what shoulder it is and what plane you are flying. As long as you could reach throttle, flaps and gear while one arm is immobile I would think you could get the plane on the ground but turbulence would be hell! It would also depend on how unstable it is, my earlier dislocations took the right angle with a pretty good force. The last one came out while I was kayaking on the Ottawa river and I couldn't reduce it myself, that one was out for 4 hours and was hell. That's when I finally got off my butt and get it fixed!

Good Luck

K

CPL2010
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CPL2010 »

North Shore wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:46 pm Do you have a Short- or Long-term disability plan at your work?

I lost my medical a few years back for a period of time; thankfully, I had a decent LTD plan: it was relieving to get my medical sorted while not having to worry about losing my house/job/career.

My advice would be to consult with your CAME, take the time off necessary, and get the surgery done - then you won't have to consistently worry 'will today be the day that it dislocates?'
Thank you bro
Do you; lost your medical for same reason?? (shoulder Dislocated )

CPL2010
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CPL2010 »

waterdog wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:28 pm Ouch, that hurts! I had my shoulder dislocate 7 times before I finally got it fixed. Ask around as you want someone who specializes in shoulders, pm if you want more info. I had my shoulder fixed 10 yrs ago and it has been bombproof since, with no problem whitewater kayaking, rock climbing and skiing. The recovery time is pretty long, as once you are out of the sling after 6 weeks there are weeks of physio getting it mobile, flexible and strong enough to be useful. Its been a while since I have had to go through this but I would count on being down for 4 months.

I'm not sure what a physician would say or how it would affect a commercial licence, but how well you could fly a plane would really depend on what shoulder it is and what plane you are flying. As long as you could reach throttle, flaps and gear while one arm is immobile I would think you could get the plane on the ground but turbulence would be hell! It would also depend on how unstable it is, my earlier dislocations took the right angle with a pretty good force. The last one came out while I was kayaking on the Ottawa river and I couldn't reduce it myself, that one was out for 4 hours and was hell. That's when I finally got off my butt and get it fixed!

Good Luck

K
Thank you bro I will PM you for sure

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

CPL2010 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:26 amWhy I should be in a 4g situation in the first place :D :D :D I am not a fighter pilot and I am not going to fly 737 max any soon.
Because you fucked up.

I know, I know, it's hard to imagine that, with me here, the pinnacle of perfection :smt040 But everyone else can make mistakes.

(Okay 4G is a bit much, but as others mentioned, turbulence would be hell. I'm really just thinking of unusual attitude recovery.)

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

I had shoulder surgery to re-attach a tendon to the humorous and it was a 3+ month recovery till I could reach the everything I needed to on the overhead panel. Once I could I got my medical back.

I believe that as soon as you are required to have surgery of this type you lose you medical.

Return to “Health & Fitness”