Anxiety

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Flyingrocks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Anxiety

Post by Flyingrocks »

Hello everyone,

I've recently run into some anxiety related issues now that I'm moving onto bigger equipment. Im only at the beginning of my type rating but already i suffer from having to go to the bathroom which only makes things worse. Focusing and trying to keep it in is harder than anything else and obviously impairs my crew member ability. I think it could be stress related and my fear of this happening during line training only exacerbates the whole situation.

Has anyone had something similar? What are some good ways to counter it?
---------- ADS -----------

Hawkeye4077
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Anxiety

Post by Hawkeye4077 »

Someone posted a similar question a little while ago.

like the replyer said I would try hitting the gym a couple times a week!!

It sounds weird and I`m no doctor but i think it`ll get your serotonyn running and bye bye stress.

Don`t forget to enjoy what you are doing too.

Hawk

old_man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by old_man »

Hawkeye4077 wrote:I would try hitting the gym a couple times a week!!
This, even more than 2 times a week if you can. It really works.

raven54
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by raven54 »

Try playing squash.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Exercise is certainly a good idea. But some people (like me) just get anxious in new situations. If I'm flying somewhere new/difficult I tend to have to use the bathroom a lot as well. Luckily I am just a private pilot so it's not really a big deal for me. After enough flights the anxiety will go away and it will become more routine. Try not to worry about it, and just make sure you use the bathroom whenever you get the chance.

And being slightly anxious in new situations is a very good thing for a pilot (in my opinion) - it means you will pay more attention to detail, be more skilled, and overall be a much better pilot.

highlander
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by highlander »

I would also focus on your diet. Try reducing your caffeine intake which could be one of the causes in addition to your nerves. Also, maybe the off chance you have a bladder infection- try drinking cranberry juice.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

And keep mum when you go for your Aviation medical. It could open a can of worms..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
stratcat
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by stratcat »

I used to get anxious and nauseas, lost 30 plus pounds.Not enough can be said about excercise and eating right.Its a domino effect.Next thing you are sleeping better and have a clear head.Ride anxiety and whatever else we call it we do to ourselves but how we handle stress is up to us,but if the body is feeling good ,we handle everything much better.

cienki
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cienki »

Drop all caffeine, exercise as much as you can (cardio), modify your diet to healthier foods (ie: whole what bread products instead of white), do some deep breathing exercises when you feel the anxiety coming on. Works wonders.

Flyingrocks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flyingrocks »

thanks for all the helpful replies.
I've started on a bit of a diet (food and drinks) and go running every other day and I'm already feeling better. I find most of it is in my head anyway, so it's also a bit of work to get back to a positive attitude.

magyar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by magyar »

actually believe it or not you are pretty bang on when you say it is all in the mind, Breathing excercises as mentioned by some above replies is one of the best things that works for me. breath in deeply through your nose and exhale through your nose(keep the mouth closed,all breathing through the nose only). do this for about 5 minutes and see how you feel. sure beats coffee!

peace good luck and do not think about it

Janzsoon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Janzsoon »

You are very brave for seeking help.

Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Castorero »

Great advice in this thread!

Exercise is the most useful tool for many medical conditions, anxiety and depression included.

Reducing or stopping drugs that can make anxiety worse, like coffee, tea, colas, and the newer energy drinks that all seem to contain HUGE amounts of caffeine, will surely help. Alcohol, nicotine and cocaine reduction is also useful.

Anxiety can often be the tip of the iceberg in underlying depression.
When anxiety is accompanied by a feeling of depression, poor sleep, especially waking up in the wee hours and lying awake, tough getting out of bed in the morning and not looking forward to the rest of the day, it's time to pay a visit to your friendly family doc for a chat, and to make sure that there is no other underlying medical condition that can be treated.

Regardless of what may be underlying anxiety or depression, regular exercise and a decent diet will work wonders.

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

A buildup of gas can lead to an increased urge to urinate. Make sure you fart instead of trying to hold it in while in the cockpit. What's worse, pissing yourself, or having the others smell a bit of your sphincter surprise? Just putting that out there.

pto
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pto »

What it sounds like you have is a general anxiety disorder, or a panic disorder.

Believe it or not, what you have is not an unusual problem. And in most cases, highly curable. Good news. And you do have options, without having to leave aviation.

Myth: Firstly, telling your CAME that you have anxiety problems will not necessarily cause him/her to pull your medical. I have done exactly that. And my CAME works privately and for TC. In Canada and Australia, he said, you can continue to work with anxiety, or use any of the treatment options below without consequences.

Exercise is definitely helpful, but not a long term solution. It's a band-aid. 100mph tape for your head. At some point, you'll want to nip this in the bud, and probably the sooner the better.

There are three (main) treatment options:
1. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) has a very good track record of success. This would be my first stop. Ask your family doctor for a referral.
2. http://www.paniccenter.net/ has some excellent information and is a self directed form of CBT.
3. Pills. There are some anti-depressants which are acceptable to TC. PM me for details, or talk to your CAME.

Beating anxiety is not a fast process. It will take time. Best of luck.

PTO.

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

1. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) has a very good track record of success. This would be my first stop. Ask your family doctor for a referral.
100% best course of action. It works! Excellent book to start reading right away is:

http://www.amazon.ca/10-Simple-Solution ... 29&sr=8-13

Gnomon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Gnomon »

Hi,

This forum is a great aviation resource!

I was on an SSRI and a SNRI for a number of years, but decided to make a switch to a single medication. The process was quite long, as I had to wean myself off the first two meds before starting the new one. At the time I began flying again (I've held a commercial for a long time but have been completely inactive in aviation) the dosage of the new med seemed to be doing the job.

The conditions under which my class I medical was granted stated that I have to get a checkup every six months, and any change of dosage would require grounding for six months. So although the new med is definitely taking the edge off the anxiety, if that condition wasn't in place I'd probably ask my doctor to up the dosage.

It's somewhat of a catch 22, as I'm near the end of doing an instructor rating and a six month hiatus wouldn't be a good idea. So I'm looking for other options. Perhaps I'll check out CBT.

But also, PTO posted earlier that he was aware of some TC approved medications, and invited anyone to PM him for information. Unfortunately, being new here, I can't send a PM. So I'm hoping he'll see this, or maybe someone here could give him a heads up to drop me a line.

Thanks,

Spiritus

Gnomon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Gnomon »

After looking around the Transport Canada website, I found this definitive information regarding SSRIs and SNRIs. All drugs of that class are looked at identically. In fact, even getting treatment for anxiety or depression is grounds for suspension of your license.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/p ... u-2187.htm

What it means is that as soon as you start on one of those medications, or even if you indicate to your doctor that you are suffering from anxiety or depression, your doctor is obliged to report to Transport Canada:
Such avoidance behaviours are often aided and abetted by physicians who are unaware of their responsibility under The Aeronautics Act to report to Transport Canada any medical condition or treatment that might have implications for flight safety.
There is an immediate suspension of your pilot's license. After 4 months of treatment (medication or therapy) you can apply to have your individual case looked at. A doctor's report will be required. Then, after 6 months of stable treatment, you can be reinstated.

The situation is definitely better than it was ten years ago, where they simply would not allow people on SSRIs to fly, but it looks to me like it will still net the same result. Pilots will continue to suffer in silence.

Canuck223
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Canuck223 »

Flyingrocks wrote:Hello everyone,

I've recently run into some anxiety related issues now that I'm moving onto bigger equipment. Im only at the beginning of my type rating but already i suffer from having to go to the bathroom which only makes things worse. Focusing and trying to keep it in is harder than anything else and obviously impairs my crew member ability. I think it could be stress related and my fear of this happening during line training only exacerbates the whole situation.

Has anyone had something similar? What are some good ways to counter it?

I'm not a licenced pilot, and I suspect after reading the last post in this thread that I may be disqualified.

As a teen/20something I would periodicly suffer the same symptoms you describe. It wasn't debilitating, but it did cause me concern. My old joke used to be that on the first day of a new job, course, etc, I'd lose 5 pounds. All of it brown.

I countered it by just trying my best to be prepared, and roll with the punches.

Later in life I realized that the problem was ADHD-PI. The label "Predominantly Inattentive" is often not accurate. It suggests lazy or haphazard effort. In my case it was more an impairment of processing and prioritizing. When faced with a laundry list of tasks or items needing to be monitored, I could find it difficult at times to limit my attention to a single task and see it through to completion, as I was constantly cycling through the rest of the list of pending items.

I started taking Adderall XR just before heading to work, and found the difference like night and day. While I never considered myself terribly anxious, I do note that I have far fewer nervous moments. My ability to focus and stay on task is much better.

The stimulant medications work on the other side of the equation from the SSRI/SNRI meds. Instead of increasing seretonin or norepinephrine by blocking it from being broken down, they work by increasing the supply side.

bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bandaid »

I think it is totally normal to develop stress over anything new until you are comfortable with the changes. People have suggested diet and excercise which are both good ideas but I believe that whatever you chose to do has to distance you from your job. Collect stamps, music, butterflies..... whatever. Take your mind off your job. To many people in my chosen career have no freinds outside of it which means that you never get away from work. My best friend in life is a Professional forester, I know nothing about what he does and he has no interest in what I do and we get along like brothers. When we are together work hardly ever comes up.

Return to “Health & Fitness”