Hernia

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

✈✈✈✈✈✈
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hernia

Post by ✈✈✈✈✈✈ »

Anyone here had one? How long did you have to wait for surgery. How long did you have to wait to get your Cat 1 back? Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Hernia

Post by Expat »

I developped one a few years ago, while training too hard. It was a small one in the navel, about the size of a quarter.
I called some clinics in Canada, and tried to arrange an operation during a two week trip. It turned out impossible, as they would only put me on a waiting list for a check up, then make another appointment for the surgery.
I said to hell, and during a two week stay in Tashkent, went to a private clinic there, where the doctor said come tomorrow. The next day I went, did the surgery, stayed there one night only, and went home the second day.
The only thing not so pleasant was the local anesthesia. Three long needles in the spine for a local anesthesia. I never heard of that before, but since learned that it is a little risky.
I paid cash 650 USD for everything, and the doctor refused to give me a bill for the insurance...
The result is good, and I would do it again here. :smt040

Success in life is when the cognac that you drink is older than the women you drink it with.
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

I've had a couple.

The wait was about 3 months for the first one and 6 for the second. I guess they don't think it's a high priority if you're not in constant pain.

I think I even had a CAT 1 medical that I passed during that time. The doctor didn't catch it.

The operation isn't too bad. But if you try to move a certain this way or that after the operation... :shock: .

The MOST important thing about having it is DO NOT do any lifting for 6 weeks- that includes lifting your legs off the floor to use rudder pedals. You'll feel fine after about 2 weeks, but don't let that fool ya. I know a guy that went back to work too soon, lifted something heavy and ripped it open again. He needs another operation now, but is too much of a workoholic to take the time off.

Don't just take my word for anything though. Everyone is different. Have a good chat with your doctor and medical examiner.

Good luck!

-istp :)

kevinsky18
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kevinsky18 »

Shouldice Clinic in Thornhill Ontario.

http://www.shouldice.com/

All they do is Hernia repairs. They are the best and if you can get in with them I would strongly recommend it.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

^ 100's of satisfied customers and Jack Layton can't be wrong! :lol:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
just another pilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by just another pilot »

Hi there. I've been unfortunate enough to have had two. My first was a left inguinal in 1992 and more recently, a right side inguinal in 2007. Both were corrected/repaired with open surgery with a recovery period of six weeks. They can be repaired by laparoscopic surgery which is said to reduce recovery time. However, the latter is less practiced and less proven resulting in higher failure rates. Discuss your options with your surgeon. I live in Alberta and the wait period was approximately three months.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Good point. I know someone that had complications from the laparoscopic way. His bowels were obstructed and it was VERY painful for him, and he had to get surgery to get it repaired. :shock:

Return to “Health & Fitness”