Runners/Joggers

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Runners/Joggers

Post by North Shore »

My best 10k times have come at the TC10k in Victoria. At the start, there are self-seeding banners according to expected finish times. I simply seeded myself 5 minutes faster, and tucked in at the tail end of that group, so that as the gun went off, I was 'leading' my time group..
---------- ADS -----------

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

North Shore wrote:My best 10k times have come at the TC10k in Victoria. At the start, there are self-seeding banners according to expected finish times. I simply seeded myself 5 minutes faster, and tucked in at the tail end of that group, so that as the gun went off, I was 'leading' my time group..
The Sun Run has runners grouped like that as well. The catch is that it's been going on so long, and there are SO MANY PEOPLE that anyone who is on their second or third year ranks themselves one group faster than they really are trying to do exactly what you do. That's why they restrict the seeded group at the front to certain bib colours (for the seeded runners) and you can't get one unless you have a registered time on a previous run that meets the entrance requirements.

If you're in the :45 to 1:00 range and want to compete with others in that group, you have to get to the race 1-2 hours early so you can plant yourself against the divider behind the seeded group. It's the only way not to get trapped in the throng at the start. The last time I ran it, I was leaning on the divider separating the two groups, and within an arms reach there was an older gentleman with a cane and a mother with a stroller (with a child in it and another child shorter than the stroller standing next to it). :shock:

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Try a different race? Lots of 10ks out there..

New_PIC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by New_PIC »

Just trying to get back into running here. I didn't start until my mid-40s, and managed my first marathon at about 50. I was getting into triathlon around then too. I eventually got a 5k just under 22 minutes and did 10k in 47 min. My best 1/2 ironman distance tri was 5 hours and 25 min. but I had problems during both of the full ironman triathlons I've done so those times weren't as good. Then life got in the way and I let the fitness slide for a few years.

Starting back too hard, I hurt my foot and now I'm rebuilding again but slower. I'm currently up to 3 or 4 5k runs per week, not fast though, and swimming lots so it's time to start getting a longer run in there again sometimes. My road bike has been neglected too and the trainer needs to get dusted off this winter as well. It's a bit tougher now with an extra 25 or 30 lbs over my ironman weight but I'm a bigger guy and hide it well. I still get called skinny but I can sure feel the extra lbs. Here's hoping the bike will help burn it back down again.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Did my first Oly Tri this fall. Not really any specific training during the summer, so I was sorta going on 'good looks'. The bike/run transition was brutal, so I'll be practicing those for next year, and a bit more open-water swimming practice, and I'll be back for another.
Id love to build it up to a full Iron for my 50th year, but that's an awful lot of time and gear for a sport that I'm not 100% about...

Carry on!

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

More power to you North Shore if you manage the full Ironman. I don't do tris myself, I just bike a lot and play hockey mostly. But I have quite a number of buddies that do and many have done the Ironman. The worst thing about doing one is the preparation they say. All you have time for is training (and creating the need for massive amounts of nutrition), shopping (for groceries to satisfy the nutrition need), eating (and creating the need for more shopping), and finally sleeping. Once you mix in a bit of work here and there to pay for it all, you need about 30 hours a day. Hopefully you have a very understanding family to help you out.

I certainly admire their tenacity but can't quite come to grips from a personal viewpoint with the ultimate value proposition.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
New_PIC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by New_PIC »

5x5 wrote: ... Hopefully you have a very understanding family to help you out. ...
That part is critical! The rest of your post sounds about right too.

It's addictive though. I started out with some really short sprint triathlons, all the while saying there's no way I'd go long. Step by step, the next distance was just a bit more training. I enjoyed the 1/2 iron events but, yeah, the full distance takes a whole lot of training time especially with delusions of actually racing it instead of just finishing.

North Shore: Nothing wrong with doing sprint and olympic distances. I'm sure Usain Bolt trains just as hard for 100m as the top marathon runners do for their races. Pushing too hard for an ironman distance, or for an aggressive time goal on a shorter course, before you've built up to it is a good way to get hurt. If you have the time though ... Good Luck! :)

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

I have a few friends in the states who are all over adventure racing; same deal, serious commitments. Single and airline pilot, seems to work, but as soon as a relationship enters the mix, the racing tapers off.

Just like triathlons, I can understand the appeal for those who do it, but it will never be within my ability.

Return to “Health & Fitness”