Marathon/Triathalon Training

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

av8tor_assrope
Rank 6
Rank 6

Marathon/Triathalon Training

Post by av8tor_assrope »

Any 704/705 guys/gals on here who compete in marathon's or tri's? Any tips on training around your work schedule?
---------- ADS -----------

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Marathon/Triathalon Training

Post by North Shore »

Tri training around an airline schedule would be tough. I'd think that you could get away with a sprint or Oly distance, but Ironman would be nearly impossible from a time standpoint.
MArathon would be do-able, IMHO, but the (standard?) Sunday long run might get difficult if you were on the road..

All IMHO, of course...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bandaid »

I know a lot of paramedics, firefighters, nurses and doctors who are Tri athletes and marathoners. Training can be gruelling especially if you are married as well because you are away a lot as it is and the training is a hugh time demand. Having said this, there are a number of websites and if you are in a bigger center, clubs, that will help you along. Don't let work get in the way of a great experience.

roadrunner
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by roadrunner »

I have yet to do a full marathon but I've trained for a half dozen 5Ks and a couple halfs. Bid your layovers around running routes- for example- if you use the YYC Delta ( or have any time at the airport) - there's that trail down to the south end of the field- 6K each way which you'll share only with the gophers. YHZ downtown- Pt. Pleasant Park, YUL downtown- run up Mount Royal- 5K uphill! There are river routes in YWG, YXE, YEG and YYC. Run the seawall in YVR- about 12K. SFO can be a bit tricky, at least I haven't found a great route there or LAS, but LAX has the Strand. I could go on, but- check out mapmyrun.com or some of the others when searching for a route. When all else fails- you can still get a run in on a treadmill.

I've had to be flexible with the schedule, shifting the long run around by a day or two here or there. Also, it's tough after a 13 hour DD to force yourself into your running shoes but like anything else- if you want it badly enough you'll find a way. Good luck with the training and race!

av8tor_assrope
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by av8tor_assrope »

Thanks guys. I'm gunning to do a full marathon next year.

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

av8tor_assrope wrote:Any 704/705 guys/gals on here who compete in marathon's or tri's? Any tips on training around your work schedule?
What are you currently doing now under your current schedule? If you are going from zero to marathon, you may want to consult with a pro.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

^Second that! A lot of coaches like to see a year of steady running prior to taking on the marathon..

Also, (not meaning to sound preachy!) and this comes from bitter personal experience: take great care to do all that you can to remain injury free. There's nothing that can ruin your season as fast as an injury. An once of prevention is always worth a pound of cure..

Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 337 »

I did the Victoria marathon this past thanksgiving. My one and only marathon, but now it's checked off the bucket list. As others have said it is a huge time commitment to prepare for. I enjoyed doing my runs all over the place. I found the website www.friendfit.com to be very useful to accurately map out routes in different cities. You can do it. Just spend sometime preparing and you'll do fine. I have no desire to repeat my marathon experience but I am now training for a half just to stay on shape. My best runs were in Winnipeg, Ottawa and Kelowna.

Good luck.

Fusion
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Fusion »

I did Ironman while working a 703 job, you have to be flexiable with your long training days. Yes, it would be tougher on a 705 schedule, but if you want it, it can be done. I believe any distance from running up to a half, and triathlon up to a half ironman, is not that hard to fit into your schedule. You need to decide if sacrificing family and friends time is worth the results. I would do it again, but many others would not. Flexiability is key, just take the rest days when you need them, not worth an injury to get a long or hard training day done.

You need to be really organized, I would plan my work outs according to my work sched per week. Run and swim while on the road as much as possible, as I always find it best to train on your own bike. If you only have access to a track, so be it. There are also lots of free training programs online, or you can check out the running rooms online programs as well. Hope this helps and have fun!

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I'd say the toughest part is going to be getting enough miles on the bike. You can run anywhere with shoes, some gels and water. The swim can be tough and you'll have to get really organised with pools and public swim times etc but you can make it happen. It's the cycling that's going to be brutal. Unless you buy a Dahon and fold it up in your checked luggage you are relegated to rides at the gym...have you ever tried to ride 100 miles on a fat seat stationary recumbent? No fun.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

This could potentially cut down your training time..http://www.crossfitendurance.com/

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

av8tor_assrope wrote:Thanks guys. I'm gunning to do a full marathon next year.
Well, it's been almost a year. How did it go?

Return to “Health & Fitness”