Hemophilia

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

AaronP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hemophilia

Post by AaronP »

Hello,

I'm a student pilot that's almost done my PPL with the intention of getting my CPL, multi, IFR, etc...
Right now I have my class 3 medical but I intend on going for my class 1 within the next year. The only problem is that I have mild hemophilia B at 26%. I'm yet to talk to an aviation medical examiner about it conflicting with my class 1 but I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with medicals and hemophilia. Even if I get my class 1, could it interfere with a medical examination at an airline?
I've done a brief Google search but I didn't find anything answering my question.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Hemophilia

Post by North Shore »

Get thee to a physic! Go!

NOt to be a jerk, but if you had dreams of being a pilot, and this is a concern to you, why didn't you check out your medical eligibility before starting training?

It seems that, generally, the Transport Canada medical is trying to screen out people who might become suddenly incapacitated, and thus not able to control their aircraft. I don't think that hemophilia falls into that category. Likewise, to the best of my knowledge, most companies are happy as long as you can hold a Cat1.

I can't be arsed to look any further on a Sunday morning, but if you cast around in here, you might find what you are looking for... http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... nu-170.htm

Best to head off to your medical examiner, though.

Good Luck!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
PanEuropean
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PanEuropean »

AaronP wrote:...I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with medicals and hemophilia...
Hello Aaron:

I notice you are fairly new to the AvCanada forum - welcome!

I don't have any personal knowledge of what medical standards are concerning hemophilia and professional pilots, however, I can't image that your condition would prevent you from safely carrying out the work required. Be aware that Transport Canada has the ability to issue professional pilot licences that contain a 'with or as' clause in them if there is any doubt... the 'with or as' clause says that you must fly either with a copilot, or as a copilot (in other words, as part of a two-person crew). Two person crews are the norm in most air transport operations, so, even if you had this restriction applied, it should not present too much of a problem.

Here are two links to other articles on the web that might help you out:

FLYING HIGH WITH HEMOPHILIA

Can I fly with Haemophilia?

The second link (above) seems to indicate that both the Australian and United Kingdom CAA are willing to issue a Cat 1 medical to a person who has hemophilia. But, do speak directly to your Canadian Aviation Medical Examiner, because policies can differ a bit between countries.

Michael

AaronP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AaronP »

Thanks for the answers! I'll check out the links and contact a medical examiner this week.

North Shore wrote:Not to be a jerk, but if you had dreams of being a pilot, and this is a concern to you, why didn't you check out your medical eligibility before starting training?
Even if I couldn't get my commercial, I'd still want my PPL.

Return to “Health & Fitness”