Approved List of Medications

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Approved List of Medications

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Hello. I was wondering if somewhere there was a definitive list of medications which are and are not allowed by Transport Canada. The FAA has a helpful guide here: http://aviationmedicine.com/medications ... 6&navID=26 and here: http://www.leftseat.com/medcat1.htm but I can't seem to find one for TC.
---------- ADS -----------

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Approved List of Medications

Post by Airbrake »

There is no master list in Canada. The bigger question for the MOT doc is why are you needing it, not neccesarily what you are taking for it.

Example....
I have a headache and need Tylenol.
Why do you have a headache?
I drank 750ml of bourbon last night.
The issue is not the Tylenol in this case, but that you are contravening CARS 602.03

Alcohol or Drugs - Crew Members

602.03 No person shall act as a crew member of an aircraft

(a) within eight hours after consuming an alcoholic beverage;

(b) while under the influence of alcohol; or

(c) while using any drug that impairs the person's faculties to the extent that the safety of the aircraft or of persons on board the aircraft is endangered in any way.

The hangover means you are under the influence therefore you are not fit to fly. The Tylenol has nothing to do with the issue.

So the Doc would suggest that you not fly for that reason. And that is why Canada is actually a better system than a master list.

docbill
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by docbill »

Well duh. The reason is obvious. To combat false information.

My son was told during his PPL scholarship with air cadets, that he can take Tylonal before flying, but not Motrin.

My wife tells me indeed there is a list and she will send me the link.

Last edited by docbill on Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aeros
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Aeros »

No idea if this is correct or not but, since you mentioned the Air Cadet angle this MIGHT be the reason.

The Air Cadet operations also have a bit of a foot in the door with military aviation which has similar, but potentially different, regulations and guidance material. This is taken from an out of date Air Cadet Gliding Manual but:
2. For simple analgesia (e.g. relief of musculoskeletal aches, headache, etc.) the use of acetaminophen (Tylenol) is allowed during flying duty. The use of ASA (Aspirin) and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) during flying duty is not allowed unless cleared by a CAME or CF Flight Surgeon. The common cold will be a frequent occurrence during ACGP operations. If individuals take cough and cold medications, prescription or OTC medication and particularly those containing cough suppressants, decongestants and/or antihistamines, they shall not fly until at least 48 hours have passed since discontinuing treatment or they have been cleared by a CAME or CF Flight Surgeon.
3. Other common medications and herbal agents that are prohibited unless cleared for use by a CAME or CF Flight Surgeon include, but are not limited to:
a. Longer-acting antihistamines such as Tavist (clemastine) and Reactine (cetirizine);
b. Hypnotics/Sedatives such as Imovane (zopiclone), Restoril (temazepam) and all the benzodiazepine family;
c. All anti-motion sickness drugs such as Gravol (dimenhydrinate), Bonamine (meclizine) or skin patches containing scopolamine;
d. Muscle relaxants (e.g. Robaxacet (acetaminophen/methocarbamol) and others, especially in combination with codeine or meprobamate such a 282 MEP);
e. Antidepressants such as Celexa (citalopram), Cipralex (escitalopram), Zoloft (sertaline) and Wellbutrin (bupropion);
f. Smoking cessation aids such as Zyban (bupropion) and Champix (varenicline);
g. Systemic steroids (anabolic steroids are not permitted at any time);
h. Isotretinoin (Accutane) for acne treatment;
i. Creatinine;
j. St. John’s Wort;
k. Ephedrine-containing compounds; and
l. Valerian.

n0m4official
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by n0m4official »

I was disqualified from my aviation medical examination in 2019 because of a medication I take (Concerta). After some back and forth communication with Transport Canda headquarters in Ottawa, I learned that any and all chemicals that are classified as Stimulants (with the exception of caffeine) are prohibited for use by pilots on duty. This is a ridiculous rule as I suffer from ADD (formerly ADHD), which means that without my medication, I cannot concentrate for long periods of time, potentially making me inable to properly address emergencies. Caffeine will do the same effect, however, in order for me to get an effective amount of caffeine to subside the effects of ADD, I would have to drink an excessive amount (I couldn't find how much) of coffee. :roll: Caffeine tablets could work to, but it's the same problem.

I feel that this rule should be changed or that stimulant should be allowed if the individual has been taking them for an extended period of time (ex. 3 years), and that individual should file daily reports about their flying performance.

Last edited by n0m4official on Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

The same thing used to apply to SSRI(anti-depressant) medication; that is, if you were on them, you were disqualified.
After some military studies(the Canadian military were the first to allow their pilots of multi crew aircraft to fly while on SSRI) Transport Canada started allowing some civilian pilots of multi crew aircraft to fly while on SSRI. The FAA a couple of years ago followed suit. I'm not sure what it will take to get Transport Canada to consider Concerta for the same restrictions

Return to “Health & Fitness”