Cefaly Migraine headband and ReliefBand for nausea

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Carrier
Rank 6
Rank 6

Cefaly Migraine headband and ReliefBand for nausea

Post by Carrier »

I have been looking at online information regarding the Cefaly headband for migraine relief. This device originated in Belgium and then became available in the rest of Europe, the UK, then Canada and recently in the USA.

The Cefaly seems to provide some relief for many but apparently it does not work for about 30% of sufferers. It is expensive so apart from the disappointment a purchaser who received no help from it would be heavily out of pocket.

Prices are a crap shoot, with vast differences in prices in various countries after currency conversion between euros, pounds and Canadian and American dollars. Then throw in taxes and shipping. The best price seems to have been $250 in Canada but this must be old information. Current Canadian price from Cefaly Canada (Roxon) is $350 plus shipping and taxes, which grosses up to $389 in Alberta to $426 in Nova Scotia.

The Cefaly headband works by applying an electric pulse to a nerve in the head. The ReliefBand similarly provides an electric pulse to a nerve in the wrist to prevent nausea. Both devices are adjustable for strength of pulse. It seems logical that one could use a ReliefBand as a substitute for a Cefaly. It would be easy to add some elastic to keep it in place around the head. The ReliefBand costs about one third of the price of a Cefaly.

Has anyone tried using a ReliefBand for migraines? I will be grateful for thoughts and feedback on this possibility.
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Cefaly Migraine headband and ReliefBand for nausea

Post by CpnCrunch »

If you look at the research, there isn't really much evidence that it is effective. See here for example:

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/inde ... -migraine/

IMO lifestyle changes are much more effective. My wife used to have headaches all the time, but now she never has any.

single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Cefaly Migraine headband and ReliefBand for nausea

Post by single_swine_herder »

I was told by the RAMO that about 30% of Migraines are caused by food allergies, and certain foods act as triggers ... either alone, or in combination.

It's as simple as just not eating them ... and "poof," no more migraines. Sort of like complaining that drinking 4 beers makes you drunk ... and you don't like the feeling. Cure? Don't drink booze.

Yes Colonel Sanders .....I dealt with a Transport Canada employee who actually handed out good advice and kept me in the air until retirement .... amazing feat of the Civil Service and doubtless very difficult to accept that not every single one of them wakes up in the morning filled with boundless glee at having the opportunity to repress aviation in Canada eh?

Here's a list of some of the common triggers for those who are affected by the food allergy type migraines. I hope it is helpful.

http://www.healthline.com/health-slides ... -migraines

Return to “Health & Fitness”