Not the best time to put the oil cap in place

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Not the best time to put the oil cap in place

Post by pelmet »

"The Saltspring Air DHC-2, C-FAOP, was operating as flight SA101 from Ganges Harbour (CAX6) to Vancouver International Water Aerodrome (CAM9). Immediately after takeoff, the pilot became aware of the engine oil cap missing (located in the cabin, below the instrument panel). In an attempt to re-secure the oil cap, the pilot relaxed the back pressure on the control column and subsequently the left float made contact with the water. The flight continued and landed uneventfully at CAM9. The left float sustained damage aft of the front strut."
---------- ADS -----------

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Not the best time to put the oil cap in place

Post by Rowdy »

With the cap off, they can puke out a LOT of oil in a hurry onto the front passengers legs. Would you rather burn your pax with hot engine oil and have an engine failure when it's emptied all the oil? Or put the cap back on?

I've personally had the cap knocked off by front seat pax, only to notice it spewing oil at takeoff power. In my case, the water conditions allowed for a reject. Maybe they weren't as fortunate. I now double check the cap is secure as part of my pre takeoff..

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

.. after being so used to an 'oil cap tight' check as part of the external walkaround.

Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

I think every Beaver guy with any significant time has had that happen a few times. Some of my passengers are pretty hefty and barely fit in that seat so it aways gets bumped.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

As Rowdy says, not having the oil cap secure is quite an easy thing to happen and makes a hell of a mess.

Does drive home the point though that it doesn't matter what happens, maintaining control of the aircraft is not something you can put aside low level, no matter how bad the problem.

beaverpuq
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by beaverpuq »

Happened to me twice in one day two years ago. It does get kicked. I marked a vertical line on the cap and filler tube that I can see as lined up when the cap is tight. Last thing I check now before T/O power is applied. Makes a mess in a hurry. I also make it part of my passenger brief.

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

I learned a long time ago that if you are going to fuk with something that takes you away from "flying" the aircraft (single pilot) the best thing you can do is let go of the controls (assuming you are in trim) so that while reaching for something you don't put undesired pressure on the controls -- surprising how well an aircraft will fly if the controls are not disturbed ----

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”