Overdue Cargo Airplane Bound for CYXS

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

gimmepars
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Overdue Cargo Airplane Bound for CYXS

Post by gimmepars »

boeingboy wrote:A/C has been tested to 105,000 hrs without failure

Therefore, the time to onset of WFD for the wing, fuselage, and tail structure is determined to be
greater than 105,000 hours with a high degree of certainty and greater than 50,000 hours (the
goal of this program) with a very high degree of certainty.

Here is the full report plus all the required inspections for anyone interested...
http://www.tc.faa.gov/its/worldpac/techrpt/ar00-18.pdf

Reference 5 was the Fairchild full scale fatigue test. I would like to see how they simulate the type of flying the previous posters mentioned and which many of us have heard about at regional cargo operators, not to mention the temperature and moisture extremes and constant exposure to salt air these old airframes are subjected to out here on the west coast. I would not be surprised if that document is revised as a result of this investigation.
---------- ADS -----------

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

maybe....

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Bloody sad day. Can't come up with anything. Going to have to wait this one out. Just hoping it doesn't take two years.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
midwingcrisis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by midwingcrisis »

How do you go 205 kts TAS on 32 gal/hr without turbos!
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Two of the things that used to keep me awake at night after a particularly evil pizza - midair and inflight breakup.

Godspeed you guys, we all feel your loss.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

I'm curious to know what, if any, changes have happened at Carson Air from the day following this accident.

Was a memo sent out, any emergency inspections, any aircraft grounded pending...?

An airplane comes apart in the air and it seems odd that business would carry on as usual. I'm not saying it has, but interested in how operations might have changed after this accident and with these aircraft.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
howard40
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by howard40 »

I shudder at the thought of sudden airframe failure....Sincere condolences to the families and friends...

ei ei owe
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ei ei owe »

Has there been any talks about a gear well fire? That, unfortunately, is a possibility.

Everything comes in threes....
floydfrank
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by floydfrank »

There was nothing reported to do with fire, either prior to or after the aircraft (or parts thereof) impacted the ground.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Has there been any talks about a gear well fire? That, unfortunately, is a possibility.
Pretty unlikely. There would have been multiple issues long before it broke up.
Not to mention it only happened once, the crew knew about it, and they made multiple major screw ups.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

floydfrank wrote:There was nothing reported to do with fire, either prior to or after the aircraft (or parts thereof) impacted the ground.
There was a small fire in the area of the right engine nacelle.
http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/enquetes-inves ... 5p0081.asp

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

Does the metro have any gear well fire warning system?

Taxivasion
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Taxivasion »

wallypilot wrote:Does the metro have any gear well fire warning system?
Not necessarily. It has a "Wing Overheat" light, which if I remember correctly gives you about 12 mins to get on the ground if it's a true wheel well fire before it burns through the spar and you have wing seperation. If that light ever came on they advised get the gear out of the well and land asap.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Taxivasion wrote:
wallypilot wrote:Does the metro have any gear well fire warning system?
Not necessarily. It has a "Wing Overheat" light, which if I remember correctly gives you about 12 mins to get on the ground if it's a true wheel well fire before it burns through the spar and you have wing seperation. If that light ever came on they advised get the gear out of the well and land asap.
In the picture below, I'd venture this is the left wing. It seems that may be part of the fuselage lying across the top beside it. This wing is upside down in the picture. Obviously.

The gear is extended backwards, rotated about 90 degrees from the down position. No sign of burning and that wing didn't separate.

TSB says that there was a small fire in the right nacelle. Does that mean they have the whole right wing?

No one at Carson seemed to want to comment on what if anything changed the next day.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

Don't hold your breath. If a couple of my buddies had just died I wouldn't be in a rush to explain everything to you or to avcanada.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

The wing overheat has 2 ways of operating. If the light is on steady - it was an ACM failure, bleed duct rupture, or short/overheat in the leading edge wiring bundle. If it was flashing - it was a wheel well overheat, caused by a ruptured bleed line or brake fire.

Power back - gear down and land asap.

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

Meddler wrote:Don't hold your breath. If a couple of my buddies had just died I wouldn't be in a rush to explain everything to you or to avcanada.
+1

77W
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 77W »

boeingboy wrote:The wing overheat has 2 ways of operating. If the light is on steady - it was an ACM failure, bleed duct rupture, or short/overheat in the leading edge wiring bundle. If it was flashing - it was a wheel well overheat, caused by a ruptured bleed line or brake fire.

Power back - gear down and land asap.
Close but no. Steady wing overheat light covers the wheel well and engine nacelle. Flashing is the leading edge. Doesn't really matter because the drill is the same. Reason being is a steady signal could be flickering on off as things are electrically getting out of control.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Close but no. Steady wing overheat light covers the wheel well and engine nacelle. Flashing is the leading edge. Doesn't really matter because the drill is the same. Reason being is a steady signal could be flickering on off as things are electrically getting out of control.
Also close - It is wheel well only - the engines have there own "engine fire" light. Flashing is leading edge/acm.

Thanks for the clarification on flash/no flash. I could never keep those two right.

77W
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 77W »

boeingboy wrote:
Also close - It is wheel well only - the engines have there own "engine fire" light. Flashing is leading edge/acm.

Thanks for the clarification on flash/no flash. I could never keep those two right.
My apologies, I should have clarified. I realize there are temp sensors for the ENGINE FIRE lights in the nacelle. I just was thinking back to my grond school days where the diagram points to the 450F sensor in the AC duct near the engine nacelle. This is all beside the point though. I believe most operators adopted the same procedure for flashing/steady overheat lights because of the accident in Montreal a while back. The light was flickering, and thought it was a leading edge problem, when really a fire was raging in the gear well and burning through the circuit. If the drill had been the same, they would have put the gear down and maybe bought more time?

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... _e-651.htm

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”