Overdue Cargo Airplane Bound for CYXS

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

I_Drive_Planes
Rank 5
Rank 5

Overdue Cargo Airplane Bound for CYXS

Post by I_Drive_Planes »

The following was posted on the YXS - Prince George Airport Facebook page this morning:
We were notified around 8:00 this morning that a cargo courier flight was overdue. Prince George Airport Emergency Services are on standby. We will continue to provide updates as they take place.
250 News is reporting it here: http://www.250news.com/2015/04/13/overd ... ht-at-yxs/ Without any real details.

I was doing some poking around on the flight tracking websites and found this http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ca66/#5fe017d and this: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CA6 ... /CYVR/CYXS Though its status shows "landed" the timing is right and there is only a partial track showing, ending in the North Shore mountains. I also don't see it on any of the Wx Cams at CYXS.
---------- ADS -----------

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Overdue Cargo Airplane Bound for CYXS

Post by Rowdy »

IIRC thats one of Carsons Metros..

Hope it turns out to be a non event.

I_Drive_Planes
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by I_Drive_Planes »

Rowdy wrote:IIRC thats one of Carsons Metros..

Hope it turns out to be a non event.
I had hoped so also, but that's looking less likely now.

http://www.myprincegeorgenow.com/14504/ ... ce-george/

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Gear Jerker »

Fingers crossed that the crew is safe and sound!

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!
Prodriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Prodriver »

"I need a time machine"
arctic_slim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by arctic_slim »

That's brutal. Please if anyone knows who the pilots are on that aircraft can you PM me and let me know if one of the pilots initials? im getting worried now.

Last edited by arctic_slim on Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

Always the worst feeling. Fingers crossed the got it down somewhere and just haven't checked in.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

Fingers crossed for a positive outcome here...sure hope it's not a repeat of the 2005 NT King Air accident North of Squamish.

floydfrank
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by floydfrank »

Looks like forecast icing and sw winds aloft on their route with freezing levels down around 3000'.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

The search looks like its around Mt Seymore. Should be a great deal of resources in that area being so close to North Van, so lets hope for the best.

https://twitter.com/wilfundal/status/58 ... 72/photo/1

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Always hoping for the best - but Lynn Valley and surrounding area is not a good place to go down. Lots of steep cliffs, deep valleys, and trees - no place to set down if anything bad went down....... :cry:

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

180 wrote:Fingers crossed for a positive outcome here...sure hope it's not a repeat of the 2005 NT King Air accident North of Squamish.
Doesn't look like it from what I can tell...they were well above the nearby terrain and above the MEA on V347. The flightaware track ends just as they intercepted the airway.

From listening to the Live ATC archive, they were cleared to 16,000ft which they acknowledged, and then there are no further transmissions from then. A while later another aircraft is asked to try to contact them on company frequency, and then another aircraft is asked to listen for an ELT signal.

BBQ Chips
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BBQ Chips »

I feel sick even thinking of having to ever put down in the terrain around Vancouver. Does anyone know if cargo planes require TAWS? It always blew me away when I began flying out west in the rocks that TAWS was not mandatory. I know things have changed for some operations recently, but the thought of not upgrading your planes because it is not a legal requirement is fucked up.
My thoughts are with all my peers and those affected.

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

If anyone has info on the pilots I'd appreciate a PM as well.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

Dont really see how having TAWS would make any difference. The last radar plot and altitude shows them going thru about 8000 and climbing, speed around 240 knots. They were well above terrain in the immediate area by that time, and at the rate they were climing, another minute and a bit would put them above all terrain between that position and the intended destination.

Highly unlikely this is a case of blindly and unknowingly flying into cumulus granite. Something else happened.

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

BBQ Chips wrote:I feel sick even thinking of having to ever put down in the terrain around Vancouver. Does anyone know if cargo planes require TAWS? It always blew me away when I began flying out west in the rocks that TAWS was not mandatory. I know things have changed for some operations recently, but the thought of not upgrading your planes because it is not a legal requirement is fucked up.
My thoughts are with all my peers and those affected.
No TAWs required.

BBQ Chips
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BBQ Chips »

goldeneagle wrote:Dont really see how having TAWS would make any difference. The last radar plot and altitude shows them going thru about 8000 and climbing, speed around 240 knots. They were well above terrain in the immediate area by that time, and at the rate they were climing, another minute and a bit would put them above all terrain between that position and the intended destination.

Highly unlikely this is a case of blindly and unknowingly flying into cumulus granite. Something else happened.
I never said TAWS would have made a difference, but I am damn sure that having a tool which tells you where the rocks are when you are in a pinch is never a bad thing.

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bizjets101 »

"The high-probability zone that we're currently searching is northeast of Vancouver by about 14 kilometres. It's between Grouse Mountain and just south of Cathedral Mountain," Trenholm said. "It's simple math, just looking at the flight plan. This aircraft had a true airspeed of 269 knots, plus the location of where it was lost on radar." from Vancouver Sun

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

CpnCrunch wrote:
180 wrote:Fingers crossed for a positive outcome here...sure hope it's not a repeat of the 2005 NT King Air accident North of Squamish.
Doesn't look like it from what I can tell...they were well above the nearby terrain and above the MEA on V347. The flightaware track ends just as they intercepted the airway.

From listening to the Live ATC archive, they were cleared to 16,000ft which they acknowledged, and then there are no further transmissions from then. A while later another aircraft is asked to try to contact them on company frequency, and then another aircraft is asked to listen for an ELT signal.
Thanks for pointing that out CpnCrunch. Appreciated.

Still hoping for the best...

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Pretty lousy day to be out, with moderate to severe turbulence up and down the Coast. And, the moderate to severe icing, from around 3000' - 14,000', again along the Coast.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”