Overdue Cargo Airplane Bound for CYXS

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Overdue Cargo Airplane Bound for CYXS

Post by cncpc »

lostaviator wrote: The live ATC recording is quite chilling. And also went on for much longer than I expected given the short duration of their flight.
Have you a link to that?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

I don't sorry. Go to liveatc and search the yvr arrival/departure feed. Search by time on liveatc. It was 15z-15:30z time frame I believe.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

lostaviator wrote:I don't sorry. Go to liveatc and search the yvr arrival/departure feed. Search by time on liveatc. It was 15z-15:30z time frame I believe.
thanks

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
CFM Symphony
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CFM Symphony »

TSB is saying it was a sudden and uncontrolled descent.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3032313

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

[b]The identities of the two pilots are not being released at the request of the families, police said[/b]
This kinda highlights one of the things that bug me. When people are looking for PM's about Crew ID.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Publicly announcing their names is not the same as people in the industry wanting to know if their friends are alive.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

Still looking to find out who the captain was. I haven't heard from the guy I know there and I'm getting a bad feeling.

If anyone can PM me with some crew info, I'd appreciate it.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

phillyfan wrote:This kinda highlights one of the things that bug me. When people are looking for PM's about Crew ID.
I can understand if the families do not want their name broadcast all over the media. I probably wouldn't want my family to release my name either.

That said, I only know one guy at that company. I have tried other more direct methods but have not heard from him since the incident. Asking around privately through PM's is the only way I can get some confirmation. Most people who are asking for PM's are likely in the same situation as I am and not looking to talk to the media.

I can not imagine how terrifying the last minute of their flight would have been. Tragic whom ever was onboard.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

From CBC.....
Yearwood said all indications are the two pilots suddenly lost control of the aircraft, dropping from an altitude of 2,400 metres to about 900 metres — the height at which the wreckage was found — in less than a minute,

Carson Air SA226 plane
The crashed plane is a twin-engine SA-226 Metro II similar to this one. (Carson Air)

"The radar track showed a very steep descent," he said. "The crew did not call, declare an emergency or have any stress, which gives us an idea that whatever happened, happened suddenly. The radar track gives us information on how fast it was descending ... and that is consistent with uncontrolled flight."

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

5000 feet per minute. I think airframe failure is the only possibility. Icing or mechanical failure wouldn't have been so abrupt.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

iflyforpie wrote:5000 feet per minute. I think airframe failure is the only possibility.
There's at least couple others that I can come up with. Not likely but possible.

arctic_slim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by arctic_slim »

phillyfan wrote:The identities of the two pilots are not being released at the request of the families, police said
This kinda highlights one of the things that bug me. When people are looking for PM's about Crew ID.
It may bug you but when I have a friend that may have been on board it bugs me not knowing if he is ok or not. It's not like im looking for a name so that I can tell the world, it's for my own piece of mind. And yes I found out later on, my good friend was on board that plane and I am devastated.

7dirty7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 7dirty7 »

arctic_slim wrote:
phillyfan wrote:The identities of the two pilots are not being released at the request of the families, police said
It may bug you but when I have a friend that may have been on board it bugs me not knowing if he is ok or not. It's not like im looking for a name so that I can tell the world, it's for my own piece of mind. And yes I found out later on, my good friend was on board that plane and I am devastated.
Sorry for your loss.

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Gear Jerker »

Does the Metro have control cables?

- Control cable fails, elevator full deflection nose down?

Condolences to all family and friends. Awful

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!
all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

Condolences to those families and friends affected by this loss.

Thoughts with the crew at Carson.

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

I'm so sorry to hear of this :( Thoughts are with those affected by this awful event.

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

5000 feet per minute. I think airframe failure is the only possibility. Icing or mechanical failure wouldn't have been so abrupt.
A few years back a FedEx Caravan basically fell out of the sky into a Winnipeg neighborhood due to icing.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/rec ... 20051006-0

Condolences to family and friends of the flight crew.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Sincere condolences to family/friends/co-workers during this most difficult period due this tragic accident.

sportingrifle
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sportingrifle »

I used to fly that exact route every morning in an MU-2 and with upslope winds, the ice could be just unimaginable over the North Shore mountains. Frequently we would get a clearance to climb to the BLI VOR and not turn north till above FL180 or so in order to top it. This sort of icing is really something that people flying their "de -iced" Cirrus, Mooney, etc need to consider.

Not really wanting to speculate on the accident cause, they are always way different or way more than complex than the initial speculation. What I will ay is that -5000 fpm is not unreasonable if the aircraft stalled due yo airframe icing and ten wouldn't be hard to do in those conditions.

All take care , the idea is an empty parking lot at the end of the day.

Sportingrifle

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

While icing can be bad - and Metro stalls are no picnic, I doubt it was icing. Metros are not all that bad in ice for starters.....and second the aircraft was climbing at 1500'/min and doing 240 kts when it dropped suddenly. You wouldn't have that kind of climb rate if you were picking up enough ice to drop you out of the sky.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”