Controller Sends Pilot Killed in Crash to Nonexistent Runway

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Controller Sends Pilot Killed in Crash to Nonexistent Runway

Post by cdnpilot77 »

By Stephen Pope / Published: Aug 25, 2015

Accident investigators are trying to determine why a New York-area air traffic controller directed the pilot of a Beech Bonanza who died in the crash of his airplane earlier this month toward a nonexistent airport in the middle of an industrial area, possibly giving the man false hope as he desperately searched for a suitable emergency landing spot.

According to an audio recording of the ATC communications posted on LiveATC.net, the pilot radioed that he was having problems and needed to divert to Long Island's Farmingdale Airport, telling the controller moments later, "I'm gonna have to take it down to the closest spot."

The New York departure controller can be heard on the recording suggesting several options, including Farmingdale, LaGuardia, JFK and White Plains airports. The pilot, who was flying westbound at 6,500 feet, made a turn back toward Farmingdale. When he indicated he wouldn't make it, the controller suggested "Bethpage Airport," the old factory airport of the Grumman Aircraft Corp.

The problem with that idea is the closed airport has been completely erased by time and today is densely populated by industrial buildings, including major shipping hubs for UPS and FedEx Ground, as shown in the Google Earth image below. There is nothing resembling a runway, and it would be about the last place one would want to attempt a forced emergency landing.

Yet for some reason, the unidentified controller insists there is a runway there, directing the pilot to the airport at "10 o'clock and four miles. You're just about lined up on the extended centerline."

The pilot, who is understandably having trouble locating a runway that isn't there, asks for guidance. "About 12 o'clock and four miles now," the controller says. "It looks like you're set up right on the extended centerline for the runway there."

The controller then tells the pilot Farmingdale Airport is about three miles beyond to the southeast.

"I'm losing altitude, this is about the best I can do altitude wise," the pilot radios. "Give me this airport again, I'm not seeing anything."

"There's a strip right about your 12 o'clock and three miles." Moments later the controller adds, "The strip is a closed airport, I just know there is a runway there, about 11 o'clock and a mile and a half now."

The Bonanza ended up crashing on a section of the Long Island Rail Road between the towns of Bethpage and Hicksville at about 7:45 a.m. on August 16 mere feet from where the runway, closed for 25 years, used to be. A passenger who survived the crash with serious injuries told investigators the engine quit after a loud "pop" and smell of oil.

The old airport is not shown on sectional charts nor is it included in navigation databases. Investigators will now try to figure out why the controller was so certain the runway still existed, if his erroneous guidance distracted the pilot during the critical in-flight emergency and whether a more suitable landing spot could have been reached.

In its preliminary report issued this week, the National Transportation Safety Board said “an examination of the area of the former Bethpage Airport revealed that industrial buildings occupied the former runway surface area.”

When asked about the duty status of the controller, an FAA spokeswoman said the agency could not discuss an open investigation.

Read more at http://www.flyingmag.com/technique/acci ... bHfELwT.99

http://www.flyingmag.com/technique/acci ... SOC&dom=fb
---------- ADS -----------

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Controller Sends Pilot Killed in Crash to Nonexistent Ru

Post by bizjets101 »

http://ourairports.com/airports/US-BPA/ ... ge Airport

Bethpage is were Grumman was located and built F-14's .. Gulfstream 1, and Gulfstream II.

Either under duress controller forgot airport was gone or really was unaware - very sad.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Last year flying down to Islip I over flew the old Grumman airfield and while it was closed there still was a long portion of the longer runway 8000' - 9000' if I correctly recall open to put down a plane. Might be different a year later though.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

Neither here nor there, but Google Earth still shows an airport symbol and label at Bethpage. When you zoom in it's readily apparent that there are no remnants of the old airport, just buildings.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Kind of like the opposite of Namao... looking in the CFS it looks like it is unusable for anything but helicopters... but you could land a jumbo jet there.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Cessna driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Cessna driver »

iflyforpie wrote:Kind of like the opposite of Namao... looking in the CFS it looks like it is unusable for anything but helicopters... but you could land a jumbo jet there.
Not quite, the longest runway (NW-SE orientation) has a driver training track for the cops, lots of concrete barriers, some "temporary" (permanent) structures on it and usually a bunch of army tanks and trucks

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Cessna driver wrote:
iflyforpie wrote:Kind of like the opposite of Namao... looking in the CFS it looks like it is unusable for anything but helicopters... but you could land a jumbo jet there.
Not quite, the longest runway (NW-SE orientation) has a driver training track for the cops, lots of concrete barriers, some "temporary" (permanent) structures on it and usually a bunch of army tanks and trucks
his statement is correct. You can land a jumbo there

arctic_slim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by arctic_slim »

leftoftrack wrote:
Cessna driver wrote:
his statement is correct. You can land a jumbo there
... you just might not be able to use the airplane again.

Pavese
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pavese »

The buzz elsewhere is that the controller had an airport icon on his display and directed the A/C to it not knowing that it was now a shopping centre.

D :cool:

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Who knows what outdated info that controller was looking at. That sucks. But for a controller to basically give vectors to a runway he was getting that info from somthing.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

Ya I feel bad for the guy. Whether he had an icon on his screen or he just remembered where the old runway was, he was no doubt doing his best. Hope he doesn't get sued.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

I agree, Meddler - he had to have something on his screen and was doing his best.... and I bet he feels pretty bad, even if it ends up being not his fault. Not an easy thing to live with either way

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”