VFR in IMC - Kasper Aviation

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: VFR in IMC - Kasper Aviation

Post by phillyfan »

The requirements for Operational Control Personnel should really be looked at for issuance of a Certificate. 500 hours for a Chief Pilot is way too low. A guy can be an Ops Manager, if he managed his own paper route in the past. It's not for Transport to deny Certificates. They simply check off the boxes. The lack of experience results in Chief Pilots who are just "yes men" and Ops Managers who have no clue what Operational Control even is, let alone how to effectively maintain it.
---------- ADS -----------

Hornblower
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Hornblower »

Meatservo wrote: I wish people in piston-driven single-engine aeroplanes (or any other kind of plane actually) would refrain from conducting pseudo-instrument approaches in controlled airspace without clearances in instrument meteorological conditions.
You have wished carefully Meat (unlike JP who wished for TC to "man-up"). Philly seems also to have wished carefully; good to see my advice is being heeded.

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

"Keystone/Kaspar haters out there ... be careful what you wish for!"

Looks like they got half the wishes answered. http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/keystone-air ... -1.2651215

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Good to know the crash in June 2002 was just an "Incident"

I guess I should write something here.
tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tipsails »

Well... you know what else was an "incident?"

Looks pretty haggard for just being an "incident.''

I wonder who is the one who labels each as such.

switchflicker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by switchflicker »

It's just a kinder, gentler world we now live in. That's all.

"I'd rather have it and not need than to need it and not have it" Capt. Augustus McCrae.
snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

Meatservo wrote: I wish people in piston-driven single-engine aeroplanes (or any other kind of plane actually) would refrain from conducting pseudo-instrument approaches in controlled or uncontrolled airspace without clearances in instrument meteorological conditions.
Fixed that for you. Contrary to popular belief, "pseudo-instrument approaches" conducted by non-approved pilot(s), improperly equipped in non-approved aircraft and/or using non-approved and/or inadequate instrumentation is illegal in any kind of airspace.

Cheers,
snoopy

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU HAVE STUCK YOUR NOSES INTO IMC WHILE FLYING VFR!
Or you're all full of crap. I know it's happened to me. I know it's happened to you.
Trick is, don't make it SOP.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

snoopy wrote:
Meatservo wrote: I wish people in piston-driven single-engine aeroplanes (or any other kind of plane actually) would refrain from conducting pseudo-instrument approaches in controlled or uncontrolled airspace without clearances in instrument meteorological conditions.
Fixed that for you. Contrary to popular belief, "pseudo-instrument approaches" conducted by non-approved pilot(s), improperly equipped in non-approved aircraft and/or using non-approved and/or inadequate instrumentation is illegal in any kind of airspace.

Cheers,
snoopy

Except that, there is nothing illegal about operating in IMC in uncontrolled airspace without a clearance.
I do instrument approaches almost daily in uncontrolled airspace without a clearance. Where would one even get a clearance to do an instrument approach in Armpit Gultch?
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Hornblower
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Hornblower »

snoopy wrote:

Cheers,
snoopy

I'll fix that for you snoop, the pilot was qualified the aircraft is certified and the equipment was as required, perhaps meat was right about the pseudo thing, ... have to look at the radar tracks.

You're not still whining about the beavers and otters in YRL are you?

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:
snoopy wrote:

Cheers,
snoopy

Except that, there is nothing illegal about operating in IMC in uncontrolled airspace without a clearance.
I do instrument approaches almost daily in uncontrolled airspace without a clearance. Where would one even get a clearance to do an instrument approach in Armpit Gultch?
Illya
Snoopy was talking about "psuedo" instrument approaches, not instrument approaches.

snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

Thank you CpnCrunch! Your reading comprehension skills are to be commended! ;)
Cheers,
snoopy

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Hornblower wrote:
snoopy wrote:

Cheers,
snoopy

I'll fix that for you snoop, the pilot was qualified the aircraft is certified and the equipment was as required, perhaps meat was right about the pseudo thing, ... have to look at the radar tracks.

You're not still whining about the beavers and otters in YRL are you?
So does Kasper have an ops spec that because the pilot holds and ifr rating, and the airplane is ifr equipped, they can choose to fly either IMC or VMC at their leisure with or without clearances??

grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

Jean-Pierre wrote:It's more likely that this operator has stepped on enough toes in their short life that they have a big target on their back now. Otters are likely flying in and around cloud all summer long in YXL and never get reported like this. Piss enough people off though and local community are going to find ways to make your life difficult.
That'd be my guess. I certainly saw pilots do this while I was an FSS in Thompson. Say they had the runway in sight then pop out of cloud lined up for the tower instead of 23 (24 now I guess). Followed by a sheepish newfie accent saying they were circling around for 05.

no sig because apparently quoting people in context is offensive to them.
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Trick is, don't make it SOP.
That is more than a bit difficult for many to understand, particularily with all the bragging and bravado that goes on in the hangar and crewhouses.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Then find a new hangar to work at and a new crewhouse to hang around. My hangar talk typically consists of "Center gave me a stupid clearance the other day...."

notice how it's safe and legal?

snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

Interestingly, Kasper Aviation doesn't appear to be approved for IFR: http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/C ... x?lang=eng.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I didn't think anyone with a single piston engine was.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

2015-12-08Further Action Required:NoO.P.I.:Narrative:The Kasper Aviation Inc. GippsAero GA8-TC 320 aircraft (C-FPRX) was concluding a VFR flight from Kasabonika Airport, ON (CYAQ) to Dryden Regional Airport, ON (CYHD). NAV CANADA staff at Sioux Lookout F.S.S. reported that the aircraft was inbound and landed CYHD at 2300Z. The 2300Z METAR at CYHD reported an overcast ceiling of 300 feet. Operational impact unknown.

Please note that for the most part, CADORS reports contain preliminary, unconfirmed data which can be subject to change.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Wow, a CADOR from FSS at a different airport? Regardless of what they likely did, these guys really do have a target on their back.
Isn't the METAR at CYHD an AUTO?

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”