Gran Manan

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Gran Manan

Post by Old fella »

---------- ADS -----------

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Gran Manan

Post by fish4life »

It's really too bad that captain took the life of another individual... At what point do they have to make it a crime?

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Follow up.......... stranger still, but whatever.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-bruns ... -1.3445761

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

I have been on their aircraft for a couple of charters quite a few years back but I think it was a different pilot. Seem to remember an earlier thread where this particular guy had some sort of flying record.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

pelmet wrote:
I have been on their aircraft for a couple of charters quite a few years back but I think it was a different pilot. Seem to remember an earlier thread where this particular guy had some sort of flying record.
One of those individuals when circumstance was going to catch up with him......... and it did.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Cancelling IFR in poor wx, no plates, 2 crew without a 2nd headset....what the heck was buddy thinking? And, (in my opinion) Im sure that he didn't just wake up that morning and think " Today I'm going to go and throw all of my safe habits out of the window.."

Edited for language, and to add: (in my opinion)

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

I flew with him for about 15 minutes, landed, called the company, and said "Get somebody else".

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

cncpc wrote:I flew with him for about 15 minutes, landed, called the company, and said "Get somebody else".
The problem is that this guy who crashed was the founder, owner, chief pilot, accountable executive, maintenance coordinator and ops manager.

JMACK
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JMACK »

Melanie Sonnenberg, wife of pilot killed in crash and president of Atlantic Charters, disputes the Transportation Safety Board report. (CBC)

So she disputes the findings but has no counter argument.

The TSB report is a good read. Hard to read but a good read.

Have some Gravol available you might get nauseated.

J

single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by single_swine_herder »

North Shore wrote:Cancelling IFR in poor wx, no plates, 2 crew without a 2nd headset....what the F$@k was buddy thinking? And, Im sure that he didn't just wake up that morning and think " Today I'm going to go and throw all of my safe habits out of the window.."
Perhaps .... just maybe .... those "safe habits" to which you refer never existed in the first place and what transpired on this flight was the normal standard of operations on a day in day out basis.

That said, an Approved Check Pilot signed this fellow off as competent fairly recently. Presumably, the ACP abides by some standard which approximated that stipulated by the ACP Manual. That would mean that the PIC could put forward a demonstration of at least the required minimum level of competence, and at some point a series of conscious decisions was made to hold normal industry practises in contempt.

It is instructive to read comments regarding the New Brunswick government's health dept and what appears to be a severe lack of oversight in the selection of, and monitoring of air carriers to transport patients. If done responsibly, there is a great deal more to this process than "Somebody answered the phone at the air service, and nobody has heard anything of a Transport Canada AOC suspension going into effect."

The CTSB report is loaded with information regarding Air Ambulance operations, and I look forward to a full review of the material.

There is much to be learned from this. Bringing positive change to an entrenched organization with terribly low "normal" standards can be a near impossible task because the critical mass of the group thinks everything is "just fine thank-you."

SSH

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

From the TSB report:
The current approach to regulatory oversight, which focuses on an operator's processes, is at risk of failing to identify and address unsafe practices and conditions. If TC does not adopt a balanced approach that combines thorough inspections for compliance with audits of safety management processes, unsafe operating practices may not be identified, thereby increasing the risk of accidents.
This pilot and owner IS the reason WHY A PVI needs to be conducted yearly AND an ACTUAL inspection of the Commercial Aircraft be undertaken, on these bottom feeders. But in the wisdom of the learned professers inventing stuff like SMS,,,, we just wait till there is an incident or accident before doing a proper PVI and yall know a certain number of lives or hull write-offs must happen before we pull an OC.

Last edited by crazyaviator on Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

single_swine_herder wrote:
North Shore wrote:Cancelling IFR in poor wx, no plates, 2 crew without a 2nd headset....what the F$@k was buddy thinking? And, Im sure that he didn't just wake up that morning and think " Today I'm going to go and throw all of my safe habits out of the window.."
Perhaps .... just maybe .... those "safe habits" to which you refer never existed in the first place and what transpired on this flight was the normal standard of operations on a day in day out basis.

SSH
Exactly my point, SSH - just inarticulately made.

TheFlyinGeek
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TheFlyinGeek »

Interesting read, I've applied at this company in the past but glad I said thanks. What I find even more concerning is that they are now challenging a report that found quite a few factual safety concerns. I would have a much better feeling flying with a company that accepts its past mistakes and works very hard to make sure this never ever happens again than one that boldly denies the report!

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

Most of the time you will get away with bustling limits, maybe even for decades - until the day you hit something.

Too bad TSB seems not to have tracked down the FOs who commonly moved on after two years. We may have had some indication of the PICs adherence to limits.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

We may have had some indication of the PICs adherence to limits.
His last 2 flights should be evidence enough, both below MDA, Ask yourself, how many past BSMS ( big shiny metal syndrome) co-jo s went to TC to report this idiot ? Were you afraid of losing your job? or questioning a 17000 hr pilot ? How many reports before TC acts on ANYTHING ??
He was already too close to carry out a safe landing even at 500asl, well below minimums. It was a 17 min flight, co-pilot was just there for ANB requirements ( no headset even) . I have worked for operators like this before and I have quit ! And TC, pull your collective heads out of your tushies PLEASE !!! :rolleyes:

Last edited by crazyaviator on Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

This guy and his company have been touted as real heroes and lifesavers over the many years by people on Gran Manan, that is until luck deserted him with the obvious consequences. We have all heard/read and in some cases worked for these small time one man show local operations. What the TSB said in the final report is a culture this company ran it's business on as I see it, however the current survivor(wife) certainly doesn't see it that way, probably not Gran Manan residents either. Consequently TSB will be castigated, needless to say. Like many who posted commentary here, we know the difference and certainly understand consequences of a callous disregard for basic safety operations as seem evident in the TSB final report.

Last edited by Old fella on Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

While I'm not relieving this operator whatsoever - I find it hard to see what the estate of the paramedic could get when his injuries were clearly the result of not wearing his seat belt. Who doesn't wear their seat belt all the time in these puddle jumpers? Even if you did take it off - as you come close to landing - it goes back on.

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

Generally on the job in injuries and fatalities are covered by Worker's Compensation.

In return for comp, the worker and family have no right to sue.

There's a whole 'nuther topic that many injured workers and widows have to go through years and several layers of appeal to get comp payments.

ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogc »

crazyaviator wrote:
This pilot and owner IS the reason WHY A PVI needs to be conducted yearly AND an ACTUAL inspection of the Commercial Aircraft be undertaken, on these bottom feeders. But in the wisdom of the learned professers inventing stuff like SMS,,,, we just wait till there is an incident or accident before doing a proper PVI and yall know a certain number of lives or hull write-offs must happen before we pull an OC.
That is a pretty big call out by the TSB to put that in an official report.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Gentlemen,

I think that I'm just as angered by this unneccessary accident as the rest of you, and my post reflects that. Further, there is a fair bit to be learned from the accident report - some of us will already know the lessons beiing taught, while others will be exposed to them for the first time; therefore, the thread will stay up.
But, I also have to wear my mod hat, and ask that you refrain, for legal reasons, from calling the pilot, or his company, names, please. And try to stick to the facts only.

Thanks!

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”