Voyageur Airways King Air tow bar left attached

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Voyageur Airways King Air tow bar left attached

Post by Gear Jerker »

Well, here's my 2 cents. Although with our dollar right now I guess it's more like a cent and a half.

Everyone screws things up, some people screw lots of things up, some people screw the same things up more than once. Some people are perfect for weeks/months on end, and then f*ck up frequently for a while. There is no such thing as a perfect pilot, and that's okay.

What is not okay is not being committed to always learning from our inevitable mistakes, and doing our damnedest not to repeat them.

The OP's comments demonstrate the antithesis of this mindset.

Personally, I keep a log of my f*ckups, and try to extract all the learning I can if/when they happen. There are lots of things I've managed not to f*ckup so far, and there are also some that I swore I never would, and have.

You might even say that aviation advances one f*ckup at a time, as long as people learn from it, and don't just bash the responsible party(ies).
---------- ADS -----------

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Its funny in a "i just dodged getting hit by a train" sort of way...its not. It could have had much worse consequences then ones pride. Luckily it didn't.
Mistakes happen, even though we like to believe we won't make them, and this is a great reminder for us all to do our jobs properly.

To the crew that this happened too, I feel for ya. I've been there (maybe in that same plane, IND by chance?). Learn all you can from this and move forward.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
CFR
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CFR »

Personally on my small plane the tow bar is only on when I am actually moving the plane. Every time I stop it comes off and is put on the ground beside the wheel. Many of the Piper tow bars for Cherokees are designed to basically fall out when you let them down but they tend to fall out when your pulling as well. Because this can be annoying, some tow bars are modified with a lock to keep them in place, defeating the self releasing feature.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

At our company we have a sock that is put over the throttle if the plane is tied down, has prop tethers, chocks, tow bar etc installed.

Before as an instructor I've caught a few students getting back into the plane with the tow bar on, if your hand isn't on the bar, the bar isn't on the plane.

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

When people screw this stuff up, we all get exasperated. Except it seems like that's a masking emotion. We get mad at them, but at the same time, every single one of us says "Oh yeah, that totally almost happened to me too, except for ...*reason X*"

They screwed up. We get to laugh. But most of us are a hairs-length, once in a while, from being the person we are talking about in this scenario. I just wanted to acknowledge that, and try to be kind to two of our brothers (or sisters) who happened to get caught out.

Yeah, obvs they should have checked. But. Once in a while, for whatever reason, I may not have been 100% on the walkaround. I really, really, really try, but I'm still not perfect. Are you?

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

Sulako wrote:Once in a while, for whatever reason, I may not have been 100% on the walkaround. I really, really, really try, but I'm still not perfect. Are you?
Towbars used to be bright orange, maybe so they were easier to see in a walkaround after dark ?

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

I made it a point to do one last check before every flight. I started this after when I was an FO we had a wing locker blow open on take off.
I've known crews to leave engine plugs in, prop ties on, rudder locks in place, oil/fuel caps lose. All good pilots who got distracted and rushed.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

So they actually retracted the gear with that thing on? Seriously lucky it came back down.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”