Crash at Iles-de-la-Madeleine

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

ehbuddy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Crash at Iles-de-la-Madeleine

Post by ehbuddy »

One other interesting point is the Altimeter setting that day. If they were at 29.92 and set their altimeters to 29.93 instead of 28.93 this would have them almost 1000 feet lower than they thought and looking at the relationship of the impact zone to the airport and if they were IMC at the time could be a possible scenario.

However it appears the accident happened on the missed approach side of the airport assuming he did an approach for runway 06. Either way its a huge loss for the remaining family.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by ehbuddy on Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

garfield wrote:I know the pilot, he lives in Montreal but wasn't able to insure the a/c in Canada so kept it registrated in the US. I flew with him two times.
It's being reported that this was a "chartered" aircraft.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
big_sky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by big_sky »

I believe the pilot was the owner of this CYHU based company http://www.aeroteknic.com/equipe.html

I met him on one occasion, a very professional and polite gentlemen.

Condolences to all involved.

RIP

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Commentary on another blog aviation site relating to this accident indicated Jazz cancelled their ops going in to the Maggies which resulted in this charter.

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

Old fella wrote:Commentary on another blog aviation site relating to this accident indicated Jazz cancelled their ops going in to the Maggies which resulted in this charter.
What is the other blog aviation site you speak of? I have an interest in this accident from another safety perspective and am trying to get as much information as possible. (And no, I'm not a lawyer)

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

big_sky wrote:I believe the pilot was the owner of this CYHU based company http://www.aeroteknic.com/equipe.html

I met him on one occasion, a very professional and polite gentlemen.

Condolences to all involved.

RIP
That article indicates he was an ATP and the company business was aviation products. I don't see any indication that it was an OC holder.

The CBC reports the accident site is near Havre aux Maisons. That is four miles north east of the airport, i.e. on the departure/missed approach side. That's a long ways from the airport to be contacting terrain in what should be a climbout.

Anyways, a very sad tragedy.

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

The copilot was more like a safety pilot (twin ifr instructor). It was probably a way for him to build twin/ifr time.
I guess the plane was privately operated.

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

The MU-2 can handle icing just fine actually. Only plane to ever have 2 known icing certification reviews, and passed both times. I've got about 1,100 hours in the thing. I'm going to guess this was CFIT rather than contamination, but that's based on no actual information. So sorry for the friends and family of those affected, my heart goes out to them.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

cncpc wrote:
garfield wrote:I know the pilot, he lives in Montreal but wasn't able to insure the a/c in Canada so kept it registrated in the US. I flew with him two times.
If it was flying pt 135, and the ceiling was under approach mins they shouldn't have attempted it.

Of course we all know aviation reporting, you're lucky they didn't call it a single engine Boeing 172.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

I'm not familiar with part 135. I didn't know there was a minimum ceiling to do an approach only a minimum visibility

DrSpaceman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DrSpaceman »

I'm wondering how someone can operate a N registered plane in part 135 in Canada with a Canadian company.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

SuperchargedRS wrote:
cncpc wrote:
If it was flying pt 135, and the ceiling was under approach mins they shouldn't have attempted it.

Of course we all know aviation reporting, you're lucky they didn't call it a single engine Boeing 172.
A part 135 carrier cannot operate point to point in Canada.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

timel wrote:I guess the plane was privately operated.
With an MP on board, in fact a former Minister of Transport. And free of charge.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

The Raven wrote:
Old fella wrote:Commentary on another blog aviation site relating to this accident indicated Jazz cancelled their ops going in to the Maggies which resulted in this charter.
What is the other blog aviation site you speak of? I have an interest in this accident from another safety perspective and am trying to get as much information as possible. (And no, I'm not a lawyer)
PPrune, I speakith.........as you probably been around there. Personally it doesn't bother me if you are a lawyer - but if I may be so bold, you drive for AC correct.

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5768 ... crash.html

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

Old fella wrote:
The Raven wrote:
PPrune, I speakith.........as you probably been around there. Personally it doesn't bother me if you are a lawyer - but if I may be so bold, you drive for AC correct.

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5768 ... crash.html
Correct. My interest has nothing to do with AC though. I am involved with another airport that is similar to the one on Isle de la Madeleine. We are going through some safety issues right now and I just want to ensure that we can learn from this tragedy.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Correct. My interest has nothing to do with AC though. I am involved with another airport that is similar to the one on Isle de la Madeleine. We are going through some safety issues right now and I just want to ensure that we can learn from this tragedy.[/quote]

No, I wouldn't suggest it would/does(AC), notwithstanding the fact it isn't my business :wink: :wink:

Good project to be involved with, safety issues at airports believe me as a former TC Aviation CAI who did a stint at Aerodrome/Airport Certification standards at the HQ and Regional levels. Whatever advice you are able to give, hopefully it will be listening to and taken seriously.

Best :D

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

The local - Quebec City - CBC outlet just had a pilot from Pascan Aviation on the local program saying they had also cancelled their flights for the day. Pascan is located at St. Hubert.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Siddley Hawker wrote:
The local - Quebec City - CBC outlet just had a pilot from Pascan Aviation on the local program saying they had also cancelled their flights for the day. Pascan is located at St. Hubert.
Questions will be raised about the judgement of the MU-2-60 pilot based on this and Jazz cancelling their operations due WX, needless to say.

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

On the TSB web site:

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/enquetes-inves ... 6a0032.asp

Condolences to all affected.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

cncpc wrote:
timel wrote:I guess the plane was privately operated.
With an MP on board, in fact a former Minister of Transport. And free of charge.
Just to correct an error in that, Mr. Lapierre was no longer an MP. He was a media commentator.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”