Cold Lake Airshow - 2016

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Cold Lake Airshow - 2016

Post by pelmet »

A little bit of a tribute to Bruce's last flight in pictures starting at 3:10 on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOxwuiCq_mQ
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/f ... =BBHVoFe|2

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-repor ... 6w0094.pdf

Looks like the TSB has decided to not analyze the accident and give us(or aerobatic pilots who might want to learn from this accident and prevent another one) any "findings as to causes and contributing factors" like they do with other accident reports.

Why? They say...."This is a new type of report that is part of a TSB pilot project to modernize its investigation processes and products."

New and useless, I'd say.

If you can't analyze and conclude anymore for whatever reason, then perhaps release the video so others can do their own analysis.

By the way, the NTSB still gives probable cause, which you should do as well...that is your job...not to keep it a secret or unknown. I'm doing some aerobatics, I want to know what not to do. And if you can't figure out the likely cause, then tell us.

Last edited by pelmet on Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

I'm pretty sure I know what; I just don't know why.

"The pilot flew from show right to left at about 500 feet above ground level (AGL) within the defined airspace for the routine, then entered a roll just before show centre. As the aircraft reached the inverted position, the roll stopped and the nose began to pitch toward the ground. The aircraft elevator was seen to move to full up deflection as the aircraft continued toward the ground in an arc until its collision with terrain, in a near-vertical position with a slight right roll."

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

"Show right to show left" at 13:45pm local looks like a 9kt downwind for that runway direction (for where-ever the surface station is located at Cold Lake 1pm-2pm).

EDIT (below):
Rookiepilot I spent time researching the wx for this accident back then; we suppressed any discussion out of respect and in anticipation of the final report. The extra info released in those links IMO is helpful to anyone interested in researching further.

Last edited by pdw on Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pdw wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:52 pm "Show right to show left" at 13:45pm local looks like a 9kt downwind for that runway direction (for where-ever the surface station is located at Cold Lake 1pm-2pm).
Edited.

Maybe not relevant, PDW, this time.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:04 pm
pdw wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:52 pm "Show right to show left" at 13:45pm local looks like a 9kt downwind for that runway direction (for where-ever the surface station is located at Cold Lake 1pm-2pm).
I'd actually be disappointed if I didn't see this. :smt040
A very capable aviator and a true gentleman died that day. Why don’t you find another thread to score cheap internet points......

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:25 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:04 pm
I'd actually be disappointed if I didn't see this. :smt040
A very capable aviator and a true gentleman died that day. Why don’t you find another thread to score cheap internet points......
You misunderstood, clearly, my sarcasm, and are directing your comment to the wrong person.
Perhaps my sarcasm was poorly communicated, and I therefore retract it.

BUT ---

These comments on downwinds and tailwinds were borderline amusing, but no longer for me and certainly not on fatal accidents. Enough already, and I just called these kind of comments out recently regarding another accident. They are also distracting from the real causes.

BPH if you read my comments I actually get really upset when people die, whether it be this gentlemen, student pilots or that horrible incident with the missing plane in the mountains.

This ought to be very clear, I trust.

NO --- I do not find fatal accidents amusing.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

I'm still waiting to hear exactly why a 9 knot downwind is relevant to this accident.

Please precisely and factually explain.

------------------

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

BIG PISTONS.

I hope you are reading this thread:

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 8&t=121687

As I have said prior you have addressed your critique to the wrong person.

Get it straight next time and address the one clearly trolling.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”