DHC-2 Crash - Northern BC

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: DHC-2 Crash - Northern BC

Post by SuperchargedRS »

I don't mean a "oh chit" last minute climb, I'm talking picking a cruise altitude that worked for the real estate he was planning on flying over and climbing to that altitude on his INITIAL takeoff and climb.

And I don't believe for a second that beaver was hitting its service ceiling at a few thousand feel MSL lol
---------- ADS -----------

beaverpuq
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by beaverpuq »

Setting climb flap and adding power= great things in a Beaver. It's sad to see guys living out their dreams ending like this.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

A friend with a schwack of time on Beavers told me that when they are slow and heavy, that you have to chose between climbing OR banking, they won't do both. He said he'd been in numerous cases where more than a few degrees of bank required a descent to stay flying. Just because you can get off the water doesn't mean you can manoeuvre so you really need to know what's ahead of you and have a plan before you get there. Sad.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

co-joe wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:32 pm A friend with a schwack of time on Beavers told me that when they are slow and heavy, that you have to chose between climbing OR banking, they won't do both. He said he'd been in numerous cases where more than a few degrees of bank required a descent to stay flying. Just because you can get off the water doesn't mean you can manoeuvre so you really need to know what's ahead of you and have a plan before you get there. Sad.
Is that when operating within its W+B?

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Knowing him, I doubt it.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

This one was well out of W&B as well. I don't know beavers all that well, but 700lbs overweight would be about 150% of the allowable payload, would it not? Its a significant deviation from whats allowed. I could totally see it struggling to climb in those conditions, which could be why he never reduced it from climb power.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”