EL Al Engine Failure YYZ

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Matterhorn White
Rank 1
Rank 1

EL Al Engine Failure YYZ

Post by Matterhorn White »

https://youtu.be/tAyxd_bj5rs

767 return YYZ due to engine issue.
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: EL Al Engine Failure YYZ

Post by pelmet »

Matterhorn White wrote:https://youtu.be/tAyxd_bj5rs

767 return YYZ due to engine issue.
Shows why it is good to have the POB(Persons on Board) written down on the Master flightplan. The info is at your fingertips(almost) instead of having to waste time looking for it when time is compressed.

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

There are two people flying the plane. There are hundred on the ground that could get the information from the flight plan or airline if it so important. Fly the plane first and worry about ATC question later. It always bother me how ATC drags these conversation on during emergency. I know it's info the firefighter wants.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Jean-Pierre wrote:There are two people flying the plane. There are hundred on the ground that could get the information from the flight plan or airline if it so important. Fly the plane first and worry about ATC question later. It always bother me how ATC drags these conversation on during emergency. I know it's info the firefighter wants.
The best and fastest source for that information is the crew. Some cases like an incident on takeoff where the trucks arrive inside a minute and start spraying foam having that kind of information at hand could be critical, including type and location of any dangerous cargo.

If the crew is too busy doing something else when asked just don't answer or tell them to standby.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Why can't they assume full pax until proven otherwise for the response (I understand they want a head count as well) Ask the company dispatch through a dispatch chat shared between airports and company dispatches? This should literally take 5 seconds to get rather than bugging the crew during a critical part of the fliht.

The best one was when my home base asked me how many souls on board. I was in a single seat F-18.

Going for the deck at corner
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

I think if they assumed a full load they might jeopardize their own safety looking for people who aren't there. I don't think it's a big deal to add souls on board, fuel on board, and dangerous cargo when you have the time.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

AuxBatOn wrote:The best one was when my home base asked me how many souls on board. I was in a single seat F-18.
Perhaps they were asking an existential question, enquiring whether you believed that you had a soul, or perhaps you had sold it in return for that F-18 seat. And I suppose, thanks to Martin-Baker, that number might change depending on the severity of the situation. In general, a rather deep question which you probably did not have enough time to sufficiently ponder.

Bolter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bolter »

Adopt procedures used elsewhere in the world - report POB when calling for taxi & on first contact with approach during arrival. PITA in many ways, but useful in cases such as this.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

NotDirty! wrote:
AuxBatOn wrote:The best one was when my home base asked me how many souls on board. I was in a single seat F-18.
Perhaps they were asking an existential question, enquiring whether you believed that you had a soul, or perhaps you had sold it in return for that F-18 seat.
Darn it - I knew there was a joke in there somewhere, I just couldn't find the right combination of words to frame it. Well done.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

NotDirty! wrote:
Perhaps they were asking an existential question, enquiring whether you believed that you had a soul, or perhaps you had sold it in return for that F-18 seat. And I suppose, thanks to Martin-Baker, that number might change depending on the severity of the situation. In general, a rather deep question which you probably did not have enough time to sufficiently ponder.
Of course, the reply is always "none" :)

Going for the deck at corner
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I've only been involved with this sort of scenario once so far. ATC waited until things were settled down a bit and we had time to "chat".

It was mentioned previously, but then there's always the "standby" as a way of saying "leave us alone, we've got more important things to do right now". Depending on the severity and nature of the emergency, it might be a good idea to go as far as to say "xyx 123, mayday mayday mayday, deviating from clearance, standby". Then do what you need to get done and call them up when they can actually be of assistance. They're also aware that you may descend, turn, whatever is necessary given the situation.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”