Short flight but very long taxi

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Short flight but very long taxi

Post by crazyaviator »

Perhaps the folks in the pointy end can come forward and tell us what exactly had happened ( 3 years later, through a third, anonymous person, of course)

There are good cowboys ( extreme airshow performers ) and bad cowboys ( a pilot who cannot even do a low and over to show friends without crashing and burning) To even fly in the antarctic, you need to have a little cowboy in you :) ( A positive thing ) Taking too many unnecessary chances whilst there may be indicative of a bad cowboy ! Do I know whether the DC-3T pilots were bad cowboys or took unnecessary risks? I cannot know, I was just going off the report !
---------- ADS -----------

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

You are demeaning them by calling them cowboys, however your opinion is based on pure ignorance so it is worthless.

By the way I spent eight years as an airshow pilot all over Europe and I can assure you that if the examiners who issued my airdisplay license had even the slightest suspicion that I was a cowboy they would not have issued nor renewed my license.

I am not too upset about your thinking everyone with talent are cowboys though because you are abysmally ignorant of the subjects you are opining on.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Hockaloogie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hockaloogie »

On the other hand, he is an excellent troll.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Yes he / she might just be a troll.

In which case the value of this forum is being degraded.

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

Here is my definition, posted earlier:
My definition of cowboy mentality is doing something above and beyond the norms of an accepted standard with acceptable limits of safety. I have been a cowboy on occasion, in the past in my 50 years in aviation, but doing something safely to near my limits for me may seem really foolish or "cowboy attitude" to someone else. My side hobby is hang gliding, which is both a very safe sport and a very dangerous one ,,,, I choose to be conservative when hang gliding and it is pretty safe for me.
By the way I spent eight years as an airshow pilot all over Europe and I can assure you that if the examiners who issued my air display license had even the slightest suspicion that I was a cowboy they would not have issued nor renewed my license.
You fit MY definition of a good cowboy, You have taken an airplane designed for the purpose and taken it to near its limits AND your limits SAFELY for numerous times !! Is it riskier than sitting in a chair watching red bull? YES, Is it an accepted and manageable risk for YOU? YES ! An armchair quarterback sits in a chair and eats food and wishes he were on the field, A true quarterback is out in the action, KNOWING the risks and managing it as best as possible under the conditions ! An IDIOT takes a plane that is not approved for a maneuver and does the maneuver at low altitude without the training or experience and often enough dies ( Buzz jobs)

Hockaloogie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hockaloogie »

Crazy's version: Cpt: hey, let's just fire her up and taxi over there. What could possibly go wrong? CoJoe: yeah, sounds good to me. Yee haw!

Real life version: Cpt: We're going to be in a world of trouble, and probably fired, if we bend this expensive airplane. Do you think we should run this one by the boss first? CoJoe: Capital idea! Perhaps headquarters has some suggestions. We should consult them before doing anything. Cpt: Splendid! Would you mind passing me that satphone please?

MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by MUSKEG »

A little advice for you crazyaviator. You are obviously in way over your head because now you are trying to categorize Cowboys into good and bad. Wasn't at all what your original post stated. So here's the advice. The first thing to do when you find yourself in a hole...............stop digging.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

You don't have scheduled flights going into antarctica international airport every day ! You don't have 24/7 weather reports for most of the continent. You don't have a myriad of alternate airports . and ample fuelling options . ETC ETC. In a sense, the far south is still unconquered and it takes EVERYONE down there in safety conscious positions to think on their feet and not call "home" every time they cut a finger! Just like Mt Everest, you have predominately experienced adventure seekers, AND SOME IDIOTS, who pay their way to the top who are ill qualified. They are now solid as a rock, being used as trail markers!!

As far as being a troll, check all my previous posts, some are informative, some are for teaching, in some, I give my opinion, in others I learn, some are to initiate a discussion ( like this one) When I make mistakes, I apologize. If this offends you,,,, then I suggest you go back to your safe spot and suck your thumb till you feel better !!

IF this non-event turned out to incur a casualty..... you would be certain that the investigators would be all over it with a fine toothed comb and would make my words seem angelic :D

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Were the wheel-skis in the wheels down position? ( more stress on the airframe if hitting hidden hard drifts) or wheels up position ( possibly less control on hilly terrain ) ?

Like I expected you don't have a clue about operating wheel / ski DC3's.

I would not be surprised if I have more time in the Arctic flying DC3's on wheel skis than you have total time.

I have several thousand hours flying off airport in DC3's on wheel skis and I can assure you you will not be employed for very long being a cowboy .

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

Like I expected you don't have a clue about operating wheel / ski DC3's.

I would not be surprised if I have more time in the Arctic flying DC3's on wheel skis than you have total time.
Of course, your initial question was a loaded one ! :)

I have 0 experience with wheel-skis on a DC-3/T so PLEASE, do educate all of us on the specifics and the pros-cons of gear selection in arctic/glacier ops

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

You may want to change your name to By-standers.
No, I think crazyaviator explains it best.

When are you guys going to learn that the internet allows absolutely anyone to throw out whatever pops into their head. You don't have to know about the Antartic. You don't have to about DC3s , or Borek crews.....well ......as long as there are not others on here who actually do know.

We all have "that guy" in every crewroom. In every hangar. In the met offices. We all know who they are....they are the ones who have a self evaluated expert opinion on everything. And willing to argue with those that really do know.

Try and not take them seriously as long as they do not cross the line in the sand and start giving their opinion on Bob or his crew.

Such a minor thing to make a big deal of.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

In your great wisdom , Trey, Perhaps you can at least answer 1 of these questions?

Quote:
The current location had been used for approximately 10 years and required that the drums be dug out of the snow every six weeks.

Why would they be dug out of the snow EVERY 6 weeks FOR 10 YEARS ? Why couldn't they have found a spot earlier? COWBOY !

Quote:
The first load was loaded and the aircraft lifted off to search for a new site by air.

WHY would you fully load an airplane in the most difficult place on the earth, with flammable fuel,,,THEN go and LOOK for a new cache place ( and land at high weight and full of flammable fuel on a glacier )
COWBOY!

Quote:
On the return trip it was decided that once the fuel drums were loaded they would attempt to taxi the 4nm to the new site since it was so close

WHY would they not taxi the return trip with an empty and LIGHT weight to test the "unproven and unsurveyed" surfaces before loading up and taxiing back to the new cache site?

COWBOY !

Quote:
the left main gear struck a snow covered, hard packed snow drift causing the left main gear to slowly collapse

If the DRIFT was covered by soft snow,, were they taking their chances every time they plowed into a SOFT drift, hoping not to hit a hard drift under the soft snow drift?

COWBOY !

Quote:
. An additional aircraft was dispatched to the site

Were they trying to damage the second aircraft too, knowing ( now) that it was an area of hidden hard drifts?

COWBOY!

Quote:
no hazardous material was released

Hmmm, Were they going to send out a 10 million dollar clean-up crew to mop up a drum of kerosene, if it spilled IN ANTARCTICA LOL

I sure hope it was just a very poor/ illiterate reporter!!!

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

Please refer to the image below

Attachments
a13f0011-appendix-a.jpg
a13f0011-appendix-a.jpg (157.35 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

In the image above, for the KBA twotter, at the point where there should have been a terrain advisory, ( If the database were available ) the A/C climbed, either the A/C was in cloud or VMC and initiated an immediate climb and miscalculated or another reason. One question is: why was there not a 360 turn to gain altitude ? What was the effect of leeside downdrafts and turbulence?

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

From the report :
The occurrence aircraft was equipped with an FLTA system, and the initiation of a climb approximately 45 seconds prior to impact suggests that the crew might have responded to a terrain warning, but aircraft climb performance was not sufficient to avoid the terrain.
How many CFIT/ blind valley/ out-climbing mountain accidents have their been in the past 30 years?

I am FULLY aware of the illusions created when attempting to out-climb a mountain

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

crazyaviator wrote:You fit MY definition of a good cowboy
Lol

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Well here is the thing, crazyA.

I have been flying for 5 decades. Filled a few log books, and have a thousand or so hours flying in the arctic.

But three things, of the many things I dont know:
1. Flying in the Antarctic, and
2. All the thinking that went into the crew decision making in this instance.
3. Why they kept digging it out, unless it was for a heli cache...

And, by throwing out a whole bunch of questions like you do does not make them facts, nor does it in any way provide any insite into the situation the crew faced at the time , or what their decision was based on.

So to be clear. I don't know. And from all your "should have been" type conclusions and asking how many of this or that accidents have there been, the sense I get is you don't either.
Like most of the others here however, we do not pretend to have the answers.

In retrospect, I should not have deleted my post about behind the hangar chats.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

because now you are trying to categorize Cowboys into good and bad
Yeah, I think I can have a sense of cowboys good and bad, by the condition of the livestock, though I doubt they affect aircraft much. As none of the references to COWBOY in earlier posts further define whether those were "good" or "bad" type cowboys being associated with the flying, I really don't know what to make of them now.

But, for clarity, and without reference to cowboys at all, Borek employs good pilots, whose experience and operational discipline will lead them to the best decision in a given situation. That cannot absolutely prevent unplanned events, but it sure will minimize their operational impact, as it would seem to have done in this situation. I have been told that the repair work was easily accomplished, and the plane flown away without difficulty.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

Antarctica is a huge waste of $$ and resources ! Go look online and see the toxic and human waste these "scientists" for the protection of the planet are causing. Are they there for "proving" global warming ( because if it can be disproven, the findings will surely be stuffed 10 km back into the ice ! ) It is a country club for wannabes. tourists, ego driven idiots and a money pit hole!!!

As the pharma and food industry back home are killing folks at the rate of thousands per week, "scientists" are looking for the proverbial needle in a huge haystack,,,,, But I digress, you can't get into trouble for not exposing the elephant in the room !!!

Leave antarctica for tourists with lots of $$$$$ and pack out what you bring in !!!

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

pack out what you bring in !!
Well, funny you should mention that! There is an international policy that, with one exception, everything which is taken into Antarctica, is taken back out - right down to the sewage I've been told. That exception actually is airplanes, if crashed, they may remain, after being sanitized. They seem to be taken out too, for the most part - even a US Coast Guard C-130 which had been there for decades. And, aside from samples of ice, the removal of anything from Antarctica is also very strictly regulated.

Of course, crazy is entitled to his opinion that exploration of Antarctica is not worthwhile. His tax dollars are not funding it anyway. Though, happily, Antarctic exploration is a great export business for Canada, so net income for Canadians!

But, back to topic, as I participated in a planning meeting today, with two Borek DC-3 Antarctic pilots, for a flight we will do in the next few days (not "on the ice", unfortunately), I was reminded and reassured with their professionalism. Afterword, we casually discussed the recent DC-3 event. I remain confident that it was just one of those things which happens, despite the best efforts of the crew. Certainly not worthy of terms like "cowboy", capitalized, good, bad or otherwise.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”