Right gear collapse on Flybe Q400 (video) Feb 23rd

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Right gear collapse on Flybe Q400 (video) Feb 23rd

Post by GyvAir »

lol.. maybe. I'd like to think that it could turn on residual oil before seizing longer than that, though. I've seen PT6s sit windmilling for days...
---------- ADS -----------

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

PostmasterGeneral wrote:
indieadventurer wrote:
J31 wrote:Left engine continues to run throughout the evacuation. Were they not able to shut it down!?
Was windy out and gusting close to 50 kts, it's a free turbine and with those winds the props will definitely be rotating. That's my guess.
Not a chance. Ever tried to spin that Dowty prop by hand? worst wind I've had in the Q was about 45 knots at 90* on the ramp, and the prop maybe made one revolution every 10 seconds or so. That engine was definitely running.
I agree, it was still running. It may windmill for a few seconds after shutdown but with no oil pressure it would feather shortly.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

indieadventurer wrote:
J31 wrote:Left engine continues to run throughout the evacuation. Were they not able to shut it down!?
Was windy out and gusting close to 50 kts, it's a free turbine and with those winds the props will definitely be rotating. That's my guess.
The Q400 engine is not a free turbine

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

av8ts wrote:
indieadventurer wrote:
The Q400 engine is not a free turbine
How slow can you run one? That prop appears to be running around 30RPM. It looks actual to me, rather than a trick of the digital video camera sampling.

duramaxguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by duramaxguy »

The PW150A is certainly a free turbine and props will easily be spun by wind. If the wind hits at the right angle it will easily spin continuously with pretty light winds. (15kts ish).

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Your right it is a free turbine. I was just thinking about the difference from the PT6

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

It's got a lot more in common with the PW120 series than the PT6. Power shaft runs within the compressor shaft. Google is actually pretty good at explaining this series of engine.

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

tango308 wrote:Video from inside the cabin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgSs7a3AeE4
It would be cool to see the marks that prop left in the pavement. You can see the prop and pavement turn to dust in the video.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”