Cargo North (North Star Air) Crashes DC3 in PickleLake

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

ruddersup?
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Cargo North (North Star Air) Crashes DC3 in PickleLake

Post by ruddersup? »

From my armchair I would agree with Crazy, feathered wrong prop. With a runaway fuel control I've seen the good engine feathered. Yaw tells you which one is failing, oops. No time to think at that altitude either.
---------- ADS -----------

Surfer Dude
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Surfer Dude »

valleyboy wrote:any other questions

Which runway did they takeoff from?

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Damn auto feather systems will feather the wrong prop every time :rolleyes: I can't believe how guys pulls stuff out of their ass. Looking back at the wx reports and flat light I would say there were some pretty amazing stick and rudder skills demonstrated but keeping with the mood of the majority here(because it feels better to find out that it's pilot error and not something out of your control, because we are always better and I could handle it, mentality nothing seems to terify us more than a condition we have no control over) -- I say march the guilty bastirds in and line them up against the wall - NOT -- damn, what a group :toimonster:

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Stretcher
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Stretcher »

Left.jpg
Left.jpg (77.83 KiB) Viewed 2687 times

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

How about, departure off 09, engine failure right after take off, left turn downwind to return to 09 and couldn't maintain so landed on Pickle Lake gear up and everyone walks away. Sounds probable to me!

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
Surfer Dude
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Surfer Dude »

Looks like they flew right over town of that was the case. Glad they made the lake.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

CLguy wrote:How about, departure off 09, engine failure right after take off, left turn downwind to return to 09 and couldn't maintain so landed on Pickle Lake gear up and everyone walks away. Sounds probable to me!
I've brought one or two back after TO, with the RACER MK1, and I'm surprised this wouldn't maintain (if that was the issue?) but I've never had a PT6 let me down? Knock wood. Waiting for my next coffee with H or J for ideas. H says they're "homesick angels on one".
We shall see.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Well if that is the scenario, I know which direction I would have turned! A left turn to put me over a huge frozen lake or a right turn to put me over a Black Spruce forest. It's a no brainer!

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

While out over the lake doing their emergency checklist they could have lost track of altitude. Visibility very low and white lake white sky white snow falling. Could be new crew also. There is a lot of hiring these day. I checked the Cador for Pickle Lake and there was recent one for the same company that went onto the runway without any radio call to the MF. Another plane was on final. :shock:

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

My question is why the F*ck does transport Canada allow these waivers to run it 704? It's a 705 airplane and should have to be run as a 705 airplane for performance calculations etc. What's next Cargo jet will be allowed to run the 767 under 704???

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

My question is why the F*ck does transport Canada allow these waivers to run it
Well it's hard not to. Read the CARS and they classify a 50,000 turbo jet as a 704 aircraft so it stands to reason a 30,000 turboprop should also be able to. I don't right the rules but when they cater to domestic aircraft manufacturers there is certainly something wrong with how the government creates the laws.

Why is there assumption they departed on 09 -- they departed of 27 looking at the photos, aircraft is headed south west parallel to the south shore from I can see. Runway would be at about 5 o'clock position.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Surfer Dude
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Surfer Dude »

I don't see why they would takeoff uphill with a tailwind.

stef
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by stef »

Work out the tail wind component on your wiz wheel and get back to us on that one.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

fish4life wrote:My question is why the F*ck does transport Canada allow these waivers to run it 704? It's a 705 airplane and should have to be run as a 705 airplane for performance calculations etc. What's next Cargo jet will be allowed to run the 767 under 704???
I'm confused. How would the paperwork have changed anything? It's either gonna fly, or it ain't? Scads of 705 airplanes have crashed......perhaps they should have been run 704?
Illya

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

stef wrote:Work out the tail wind component on your wiz wheel and get back to us on that one.
You own a wiz wheel?
Illya

Surfer Dude
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Surfer Dude »

The wind probably was no factor but what I was getting at was the uphill. Why take that performance hit when it's not into wind?

stef
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by stef »

I'm not sure why, but it's not unusual.

If it was the Captain I think it was, I can tell you I'd be shocked to find out he did anything other than save the day. He is highly experienced and respected. Your uninformed theories are disrespectful and irritating.

mato
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mato »

Up hill no issue in pickle. It's as comfortable climbing off the hill with terrain getting lower below you and the lake as it is going towards the trees bottom of the hill off 09. My guess they departed 27, and for whatever reason could not keep the climb going after an engine malfunction, and made a slight right turn to settle on the lake. Glad you are all safe.

Kzanol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kzanol »

They would depart off 27 because the Cargo North ramp is right at the threshold of 27. Why taxi for a mile when the wind is no issue?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Rejected take-off numbers are significantly better going up-hill. If there's plenty of runway and miles of clearway for the Accelerate-Go, up-hill makes for better Accelerate-Stop performance.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”