Cargo North (North Star Air) Crashes DC3 in PickleLake

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Cargo North (North Star Air) Crashes DC3 in PickleLake

Post by Donald »

Aircraft has been recovered:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=roULJ1sfyuw
---------- ADS -----------

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Had to laugh at this:
Reality TV shows can make legends like Kelner something of a celebrity. But watching episodes of Ice Pilots NWT only makes him cringe.

“It’s exciting for somebody that may not have a great knowledge of aviation to look at Ice Pilots, but I find it so unprofessional,” said Kelner, rhyming off a litany of televised transgressions and misconduct.

“If I were Transport Canada, I’d have a violation for every show I see.”

If one of Kelner’s pilots were caught doing a low-level “buzz job,” he wouldn’t be employed for long.
And then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE_9d_6fjkQ

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Jean-Pierre wrote:Had to laugh at this:
Reality TV shows can make legends like Kelner something of a celebrity. But watching episodes of Ice Pilots NWT only makes him cringe.

“It’s exciting for somebody that may not have a great knowledge of aviation to look at Ice Pilots, but I find it so unprofessional,” said Kelner, rhyming off a litany of televised transgressions and misconduct.

“If I were Transport Canada, I’d have a violation for every show I see.”

If one of Kelner’s pilots were caught doing a low-level “buzz job,” he wouldn’t be employed for long.
And then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE_9d_6fjkQ
I don't know what you're laughing at: It's literally true. If one of Kelner's pilots did a buzz job, he wouldn't be working there long. He'd put in his time and get a job at a major airline, or the MNR, or at Transport Canada, or get a corporate gig, or retire. Just like any of Kelner's pilots who did NOT get caught doing a buzz job.

Employers at that level are all the same. They like to play the tough guy, but the fact is if you walk the walk, or they like you, you can buzz whatever you want as long as you don't piss anyone off or hit something. If you don't fit in, or you talk back or stick up for yourself, or if you don't happen to be able to fly so good, you're screwed even if you don't buzz anything..

Glad to see the plane back in action. Weird watching a DC-3 fly by sounding like a Twin
Otter.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Those videos came down quicker than a Basler fly by!

Big brother's a bitch and we're all part of it here.

I'm sure everybody was pretty happy about a job well done, getting it off the ice and flying in a timely manner. A little celebratory flyby seems to be fitting for the occasion, no? I say flyby rather than buzz, as it really wasn’t terribly low, judging by the video showing both aircraft flying. Heck.. Westjet was probably lower over the water for longer the other day!

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

Why is there a cover up of this accident? Why do we not know what happened? Did the pilots die of hypothermia on the ice while walking back to pickle lake ?? :roll:

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

GyvAir wrote:Those videos came down quicker than a Basler fly by!

Big brother's a bitch and we're all part of it here.

I'm sure everybody was pretty happy about a job well done, getting it off the ice and flying in a timely manner. A little celebratory flyby seems to be fitting for the occasion, no? I say flyby rather than buzz, as it really wasn’t terribly low, judging by the video showing both aircraft flying. Heck.. Westjet was probably lower over the water for longer the other day!
Thats not even close to a Buzz. This is a scary Buzz job https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu-eZK1HrG8

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Good to see it in the air already. Too bad about the videos, was nice to watch.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

crazyaviator wrote:Why is there a cover up of this accident? Why do we not know what happened?
It's simple: you have no need to know. The folks at Cargo North probably want everyone to forget about this and move on, just as you would if it was your business on the line.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

Would it be my ( taxpayers ) business IF there was 1 fare paying passenger on board?

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Aviation safety is everyone business regardless of payload. The plane don't always crash onto empty frozen lake. If the company want to forget why do they do an airshow during a recovery operation? There is a problem of the company culture in Northern Canada even in 705 that the government seems to be aware of but does not seem to care to correct.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Why is there a cover up of this accident? Why do we not know what happened? Did the pilots die of hypothermia on the ice while walking back to pickle lake ?? :roll:

Is it the smart phone generation or what. Why would a statement like this even come out of a person's mouth.

This is like any other accident. The TSB must investigate and any information will be released in their report. No company has any requirement to release any information to the public. If the TSB finds that there is a major issue they will advise TC and the company and if it's a mechanical issue all operators would be notified. Joe public can only wait for the report. He has no right to know until then. That's the system. Social media does not trump the system. Just because someone exercises their rights does not mean that there is a cover up or a conspiracy. Damn!!!!!!

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
who me ?
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by who me ? »

No

you are incorrect.

ALL stake holders, and potentially the public, have a right to know,
as lives and property could potentially at risk,as a result of any accident.

Groundings of aircraft happen , AD's are issued, safety alerts are published,
at times as a result of an accident long before the TSB issues a report , let alone a final TSB report.
it is not just the TSB involved, TC is ( was) there as well.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

It'll be at least two years before TSB comes out with their. (as usual) sanitized version in both official languages, even if they knew the cause within 20 minutes. Suffice to say, when an aircraft ends up on its belly on a frozen lake, things could have been done differently.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Groundings of aircraft happen , AD's are issued, safety alerts are published,
at times as a result of an accident long before the TSB issues a report
I think that is what I said --
If the TSB finds that there is a major issue they will advise TC and the company and if it's a mechanical issue all operators
I know with the YRB accident they were following up within days and going to the company with their concerns and findings. Obviously not to Joe Public but with all parties directly concerned. This is the right thing to do and it is why the system is they way it is. It's probably beyond a few in this group to make a rational conclusion, which likely holds true for the public at large. No wonder people don't want to talk publicly. It's funny how folks are so quick to judge, point fingers and nail people to the wall but if it were proven not true, the damage is already done and no own cares or apologises. We are such a spiteful bunch.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Social media does not trump the system.
It does allow people to communicate in very large numbers though.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

It does allow people to communicate in very large numbers though.
It's like the internet where everything is true. It spreads truth and love around the world and promotes harmony and justice for all :smt040 == LMFAOOoooooo -- good one . :mrgreen:

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

Maybe TSB will come out with an interim report Happy April fools !!!!! maybe someone can do a parody on this one ???

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

Social media does not trump the system.
Apparently it DID Trump the system,,, as in Donald Trump and the political system being run over by a tweeter !!!!!

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

So what really is the difference between the TSB reports and anything we read on the internet?

It is all about what filter it is put through.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Stretcher
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Stretcher »

The CADOR was updated today...
UPDATE: TSB REPORT#A17C0028: C-FKGL, a Douglas DC-3C aircraft equipped with a Basler Turbo Conversions turbine engine and operated by North Star Air, departed Runway 27 in Pickle Lake, ON (CYPL) for Big Trout Lake, ON (CYTL). After the rotation at 83 KIAS, the flight crew noted an absence of climb performance as the aircraft did not accelerate or achieve a positive rate of climb. The crew subsequently carried out a forced landing and came to rest 1.3 km from the departure end of Runway 27 on the frozen surface of Pickle Lake. There were no injuries to the 3 occupants. The aircraft sustained damage to the engines (Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-67R), propellers, and cowlings. The lower longerons and adjacent structures in the engine nacelles were damaged due to impact with the landing gear axles. The drag-brace attachment points of both landing gears were broken away. The engines were examined at an overhaul facility and there was no indication of any pre-impact conditions that would have contributed to the occurrence. Both propeller governors were functionally tested and were found to be operating normally with no PY air leakage. The aircraft's engines were replaced on the lake and repairs were made to allow the aircraft to depart Pickle Lake on a ferry flight to Thunder Bay, ON (CYQT) for further repairs.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”