Oil leaked out-Engine Failed

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Oil leaked out-Engine Failed

Post by pelmet »

One thing to consider after an oil change/major engine work is that once the run-up is complete, maneuver the aircraft around and take a look at the spot where you did the run-up. See a large pool of oil, shut down the engine.....

"C-GVML, a privately operated Piper PA-28R-200 (Arrow II) aircraft, was conducting a VFR flight from Red Deer Regional, AB (CYQF) to Wainwright, AB (CYWV). 10 minutes after takeoff and shortly after establishing cruise, the propeller RPM began to fluctuate. The pilot turned back towards CYQF and at that time, the engine began to vibrate. Vibrations then became severe with an associated smoky/oily smell and the pilot shut the engine (Avco Lycoming IO-360-C1C) down. The pilot, who was the sole occupant, declared an emergency and successfully landed on Highway 597, approximately 16 nautical miles North East of CYQF; there was no damage to the aircraft. An initial inspection revealed that most of the engine oil had leaked out and the engine had seized. This was the first flight after the annual inspection."
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Oil leaked out-Engine Failed

Post by PilotDAR »

'Been there, do that, other than the oil came onto the windshield of the C206 I was maintenance check flying/breaking in, and I was high enough I could glide back with the engine at idle, while I carefully watched oil P&T. No harm done, but lesson learned!

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

My personal line is to run the engine for 4 or 5 mins, shutdown and inspect, all around the oil filter base with my finger, cowls
dipstick etc. then in an abundance of caution I often fly one circuit, and do the same thing. Double check the dipstick, quick drain or oil plug, and oil filter . then fly.
I understand fully that it "should" be ready to go when it comes out of the shop. I usually do my own oil changes.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

It seems reasonably well handled by the pilot to.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

My personal experience is that a ground run isn't enough particularly if weather is cool. Had many leaks show up after first flight so I keep those short and close to the airfield if things like gaskets or pushrod seals have been replaced.

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

Engine tear down it was discovered that the exhaust had rubbed or wore a hole thru oil pan enough that the oil pan failed. result in oil loss, the exhaust is located very close to the oil pan on this particular engine install. Visual inspection to detect the wear rubbing is not easy in the normal course of events . the private pilot did a remarkable job :!: in getting the aircraft to the ground safely .

rcav8r
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rcav8r »

Geez guys, it's been a while since I read so much BS. Thanks for the laugh.
Everything was good during the run up, because, it seems that when the gear was retracted after takeoff, something, maybe the landing light wires, hit the oil quick drain, pushing it partially open.
This allowed the hot oil to escape the sump over the next few minutes. Oil pressure is maintained until there is no useable oil left in the engine, so no indication there.
The oil leaked out the bottom of the engine and out the bottom of the cowl, so, no oil on the windshield.
The bottom of the oil sump WAS worn from contact with something, but WAS NOT worn through, thus not leaking.
The pilot did an AWESOME job landing the aircraft on the only straight, level, section of the road, without any collateral damage.
I don't know where you guys get your information, but I was at the scene an hour after the forced landing, as my friend, the AME was starting to remove the engine.
The engine was delivered to my father's engine shop the next morning. Upon teardown, it was discovered that the engine is damaged beyond repair, and will be replaced.
I hope you don't mind me setting the record straight, but I hate rumours and speculation. It makes the entire aviation industry look bad.

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

The pilot did a great job . Getting it safely on the ground , without injury etc is a well done.
Take little or no offense here, its all about sharing, "what ya have and what ya think".
I may "up my game " to always doing a circuit after an oil change, vs "most of the time". If it was the retraction cycle that bumped open the quick drain, due to something moving, or being moved under the cowl, it "may" have prevented this whole event.

burhead1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by burhead1 »

anofly wrote:The pilot did a great job . Getting it safely on the ground , without injury etc is a well done.
Take little or no offense here, its all about sharing, "what ya have and what ya think".
I may "up my game " to always doing a circuit after an oil change, vs "most of the time". If it was the retraction cycle that bumped open the quick drain, due to something moving, or being moved under the cowl, it "may" have prevented this whole event.
I am not sure if you read any of the comments? Most were from peoples personal experiences with engine oil related failures. I don't think any of the comments were directly related to your situation, But as a side note Great job getting the plane down with little to no damage. I think any way LOL.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rcav8r wrote:Geez guys, it's been a while since I read so much BS. Thanks for the laugh.
Everything was good during the run up, because, it seems that when the gear was retracted after takeoff, something, maybe the landing light wires, hit the oil quick drain, pushing it partially open.
This allowed the hot oil to escape the sump over the next few minutes. Oil pressure is maintained until there is no useable oil left in the engine, so no indication there.
The oil leaked out the bottom of the engine and out the bottom of the cowl, so, no oil on the windshield.
The bottom of the oil sump WAS worn from contact with something, but WAS NOT worn through, thus not leaking.
The pilot did an AWESOME job landing the aircraft on the only straight, level, section of the road, without any collateral damage.
I don't know where you guys get your information, but I was at the scene an hour after the forced landing, as my friend, the AME was starting to remove the engine.
The engine was delivered to my father's engine shop the next morning. Upon teardown, it was discovered that the engine is damaged beyond repair, and will be replaced.
I hope you don't mind me setting the record straight, but I hate rumours and speculation. It makes the entire aviation industry look bad.
Of course, there can be various reasons for an oil leak. My statement was just a technique that could catch a serious oil leak that was already happening prior to departure.

Bottom of the oil sump was worn but passed the inspection? A misplaced wire could have caused this? Any further info if the maintenance work for the inspection was satisfactory? Any suggestions on what a pilot might look for in a situation like this on the walkaround?

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Seems to me if the particular quick drain in that Arrow can be activated so easily
rcav8r wrote: it seems that when the gear was retracted after takeoff, something, maybe the landing light wires, hit the oil quick drain, pushing it open
then perhaps a different/better quick drain is in order.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

Far from the first time a Piper nosewheel has opened the quick drain on retraction.

I'd consider retracting on downwind, count to ten and put it back down, then land with engine on idle.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”