Warrior with 2 on board fails to arrive in Kamloops

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Warrior with 2 on board fails to arrive in Kamloops

Post by groundpilot »

AirFrame wrote:
cncpc wrote:From military a couple of days ago...

A CP-140 Aurora has also conducted a sensory sweep of the area to search for any signals, but that hasn’t turned up anything. A 406 beacon signal was reported, however, it is very weak and the military can’t direction-find it, Szkwarek said.

Yet again showing that the 406 is not a lot better than the 121.5 it replaced. I thought one of the benefits of the 406 was that a single ping would give location?

Almost every 406 Beacon I've homed also had 121.5 & 243.0 paired with it...you literally had to choose which one you wanted to home...
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

AirFrame wrote:
cncpc wrote:From military a couple of days ago...

A CP-140 Aurora has also conducted a sensory sweep of the area to search for any signals, but that hasn’t turned up anything. A 406 beacon signal was reported, however, it is very weak and the military can’t direction-find it, Szkwarek said.

Yet again showing that the 406 is not a lot better than the 121.5 it replaced. I thought one of the benefits of the 406 was that a single ping would give location?

If a 406 ELT has either an attached or built-in GPS (neither of which is mandatory) - and the GPS can get a fix, and if its antenna is adequately placed to get a signal to a geostationary satellite, then a single ping will give a location. Otherwise it needs an overhead pass by one of the LEO satellites, which can take up to an hour.

Last edited by photofly on Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
helione
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by helione »

well it seems strange and if I'm wrong but this pilot just got his licence and the ink hasn't had time to dry yet and then making a cross the rocks hop in perhaps iffy weather, I believe that plane was a rental so how does that work ? I truly hope they will be found safe and sound

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

cncpc wrote:
GyvAir wrote:Every time I read about cases like this, I wonder why use of such readily available technology such as the Spot Tracker is not the norm, if not required for flights over terrain such as this.
The pure economics of it would probably justify mandating wider spread use of them, never mind the potential lives saved and reduction in suffering of those involved and their families.
I'm surprised every flight school doesn't use them, especially for renters.
This is SOP for the folks who taught me to fly (Langley Flying School), and for people I rented planes from later (Pacific Flying Club).

Now that I have my own plane I fly wth a PLB on all cross-country flights. The only message it sends is HELP, but that's all it needs to do. I've also done mountain flying training in B.C. and California.

...laura

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

bigsky wrote:I thought the Americans had AWAC's patrollng 24/7'along the border..one would think that they
would have tracked this aircraft on departure from Cranbrook..
They don't have AWACS on the border. I believe that the border patrol people use Citations or PC12s with mostly infra red and optical gear.

There was a 172 with pilot only on board that went missing between Revelstoke and Nanaimo, or thereabouts, a few years back. It was last seen by radar near Lytton at 5000 feet or so. Too low to be seen by the radar head up on the Fly Hills there just west of Salmon Arm. The word came out that the hit came from a US border patrol Citation running parallel just below the line, and only briefly, I suppose when the line of sight up the canyon was briefly possible.

I don't think AWACS are used for regular surveillance. Drones may still be used. People seriously up to no good aren't going to be stopped by AWACS. Or drones.

Not much being said about after takeoff coms with this aircraft. Not even if they cleared the zone west out of Cranbrook.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
Woxof38
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Woxof38 »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4168540

Search called off for missing plane, passengers in B.C.
Alex Simons and Sidney Robillard have been missing since June 8

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

mooney from last year was found this week. l lets see if they can find this soon too. been over a year .
t la
there were reports of the plane, last heard over the top end of Kootenay lake ,Sandon, trout lake.If Correct That is some of the steepest and heavily forested terrain in bc , the track makes sense from the cyxc to cyka . keep your eyes peeled and maybe we can give some closure to the family.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”