Nieuport Replica crash

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Nieuport Replica crash

Post by pelmet »

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2017/06/i ... 17-in.html

Don't know much about the details but winds have a huge effect on aircraft like this combined with timelines for appearances and a lack of grass runways(which can make operations easier).
---------- ADS -----------

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Nieuport Replica crash

Post by Antique Pilot »

This is a crash? Looks pretty intact to me.

AP

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Ground loop ;( look at the prop, it hit the ground and the cowl, look at the tail, the vertical fin has been bent, most likely the wing took a hit as well.

This means the engine, prop, motor mount, landing gear, at least one wing, and the tail all need repairs. A ground loop can pretty much write off a plane.

This is unfortunate, the others are safely in the Vintage Wings hangar at Gatineau getting ready (hopefully) for the Canada Day fly bys tomorrow along with the Vintage Wings new Spitfire.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

I got this PDW

The airframe speed where rotation groundspeed immediately reduces by turning to the crab angle thru ground effect and at the same time by any amount that the straightline groundspeed lessens in turning up into the climb angle (just when groundspeed needs to be doing the opposite). An actual speed thru the air (but not true airspeed), to aid in highlighting losses the 'increasing aspect' of a tailquartering component means that it was caused by winds

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

av8ts wrote:I got this PDW

The airframe speed where rotation groundspeed immediately reduces by turning to the crab angle thru ground effect and at the same time by any amount that the straightline groundspeed lessens in turning up into the climb angle (just when groundspeed needs to be doing the opposite). An actual speed thru the air (but not true airspeed), to aid in highlighting losses the 'increasing aspect' of a tailquartering component means that it was caused by winds

Nailed it. :smt040

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

cgzro wrote:Ground loop ;( look at the prop, it hit the ground and the cowl, look at the tail, the vertical fin has been bent, most likely the wing took a hit as well.

This means the engine, prop, motor mount, landing gear, at least one wing, and the tail all need repairs. A ground loop can pretty much write off a plane.
Not a groundloop, on it's back after an incident during takeoff. From the article:-
Woodstock CAO Ken Harding said at about 10:30 a.m. that the aircraft had an accident on takeoff. He said the plane veered off the runway and it appeared one of the wheels collapsed, the plane lost directional control and flipped on its back.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

goldeneagle wrote:
cgzro wrote:Ground loop ;( look at the prop, it hit the ground and the cowl, look at the tail, the vertical fin has been bent, most likely the wing took a hit as well.

Not a groundloop, on it's back after an incident during takeoff. From the article:-
Woodstock CAO Ken Harding said at about 10:30 a.m. that the aircraft had an accident on takeoff. He said the plane veered off the runway and it appeared one of the wheels collapsed, the plane lost directional control and flipped on its back.
Groundloop = loss of directional control. "veered off runway" would seem to sound quite similar, especially when the terminology is likely used by a reporter without much aviation knowledge. Subsequent to the loss of directional control, it flipped over.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Not a good year for Nieuport replicas.....

N117WM, a privately operated Mckinley William V Nieuport 11 aircraft, was on a local test flight at Brampton-Caledon, ON (CNC3) in preparation for the Canada Day celebration. During the landing, the aircraft's landing gear exited the runway on to the grass infield. The aircraft subsequently ground looped and flipped over. The pilot was not injured and assisted with putting the aircraft back on to its landing gear due to fuel leaking from the tank. The landing gear, engine cowling and wing tip were damaged.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Those replica Nieuports seem like they might be a wild ride for those who aren't two steps ahead:

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

Woodstock can be a bit challenging to fly in at times. The strip is freshly paved (CFS still says grass though), but not very wide. There are tall trees on either side of the strip, close to the runway, resulting in some pretty sporty crosswind gusts and mechanical turbulence as you descend below the tree tops. The airstrip is also on the top of a valley, and gets a lot more wind.

Most times I am there, I've had to battle with some squirrely winds any time below 50'. I'm sad it happened, but not very surprised, as wind gusts are desceptive there and the wind sock is sheltered around some hangars... and well.. it was just a tube-shaped Canada flag last time I was there.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”