AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

Post by complexintentions »

SFO near miss might have triggered ‘greatest aviation disaster in history’

What brutally sensationalist reporting. If it's even true, a non-event. Unless of course the pilots were landing with their eyes closed. (Which I occasionally do, it seems to improve my flare technique).

Maybe AC should add RAAS to GPS on their Christmas wish list for the 320 fleet?

Also, is it not SOP to tune up an ILS or plug in an RNAV approach when flying a visual? I humbly submit that whether it is or not, it's actually a Pretty Good Idea. (PGI)
---------- ADS -----------

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

Post by crazyaviator »

A go around initiated by a tower call due to an approach to a taxiway is a non-event ?? I guess the DC-3 "landing" on the ice is a non-event also WHEN there are no deaths, do we call it a non-event UNTIL enough bodies pile up ?

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Well - the FAA is investigating. I'd say this is a bit more than a "non event".....

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5969 ... c-sfo.html

Ground track from the noise monitoring website (post eight) clearly shows the flight lined up with twy 'C'.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

What is going on with all the incidents on the 320 fleet? Is it possible this related to the PML and hiring of crews that otherwise perhaps wouldn't have been?

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Jimmy2 wrote:What is going on with all the incidents on the 320 fleet? Is it possible this related to the PML and hiring of crews that otherwise perhaps wouldn't have been?
What does that even mean. The PML pilots who wouldn't have been hired didn't get hired

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

AC A320 lines up on taxiway on approach to KSFO

Post by linecrew »

http://www.jacdec.de/2017/07/11/2017-07 ... francicso/
Air Canada flight AC 759 from Toronto was on a visual approach for landing on runway 28R at San Francisco International Airport, CA (Chart) in darkness but good visibility conditions. The flight was cleared to land behind a Delta Air Lines Boeing 737-900 (DL 521) and the landing clearance correctly acknowledged.

On final approach the aircraft began deviating to the right of the propper approach track aiming to the parallel taxiway „charlie“.

The pilots questioned the tower about disturbing lights that appeared to be on the runway but tower controller responded there is any other aircraft on the runway.

At the time several other departing aircraft queued on taxiway „Charlie“ awaiting departure from runway 28R after the landing of AC 759. The first in the line was United Airlines flight 1 (UAL 1) from San Francisco to Singapore, a Boeing 787-900 (N29961). It was only after the pilot of this aircraft expressed his concerns about the misdirected approach when tower controller instructed AC 759 to do a go-around.

The pilots immediately responded and abandoned the landing. According to flight tracking websites, the A320 was put into a climb at about 200 feet and the flight returned for a safe landing on runway 28R about 15 minutes later.

ktcanuck
Rank 4
Rank 4

How? (SFO near hit)

Post by ktcanuck »

...can this happen with approach lights as they are?

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/10/e ... n-history/

:?:

Bajan Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Bajan Pilot »

"Is it possible this related to the PML"

Give me a friggin' break. The crap some people post amazes me sometimes.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Express pilots have been doing a pretty good job of landing on the runway. Don't think that would change when they switch employers.

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

When did Harrison Ford get hired at Air Canada?

:D

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: How? (SFO near hit)

Post by av8ts »

If we can have four threads about the same story why not?

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Localizer wrote:When did Harrison Ford get hired at Air Canada?
Damn it... Beat me to it by 14 minutes... :P

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Localizer wrote:When did Harrison Ford get hired at Air Canada?

Stevie Wonder was doing Harrison's line indoc :lol:

Last edited by Inverted2 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let’s Go Brandon
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: AC A320 lines up on taxiway on approach to KSFO

Post by pelmet »

Typically, one just sets up for the ILS approach(or RNAV if ILS not available) which brings you down on the centerline making visual illusions less likely to result in lining up with something that you should not be lining up with. Seattle is a good example that catches the occasional airliner landing on a taxiway instead of a runway. The last guys to do it in SEA were a locally based crew accepting a sidestep with sunshine in their eyes.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: AC A320 lines up on taxiway on approach to KSFO

Post by wallypilot »

Without any information at all, and not reading the article,because I am ina rush, if there was SOIA operations ongoing, there is that possibility on the right when angling in and transitioning to visual that they lined up to the right of the intended landing runway...if you were straight in on an ILS, I really don't see how this could have happened.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

The visual approach on 28R is an offset approach that tracks in from the right of centerline across the apparent approach for the taxiway.

I think this was just being cautious after the comment from the guy on the ground.

28R at night is very obvious.

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

Yikes

"ACA759 had overflown Taxiway C for approximately 0.25 miles when ATC instructed the
aircraft to go around. Four aircraft were positioned on Taxiway C at the time of the event. It is
estimated that ACA759 overflew the first two aircraft by 100 feet, the third one by 200 feet and the
last one by 300 feet. The closest lateral proximity between ACA759 and one of the four aircraft on
Taxiway C was 29 feet. The NTSB is investigating."

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

The Hammer wrote:Yikes

"ACA759 had overflown Taxiway C for approximately 0.25 miles when ATC instructed the
aircraft to go around. Four aircraft were positioned on Taxiway C at the time of the event. It is
estimated that ACA759 overflew the first two aircraft by 100 feet, the third one by 200 feet and the
last one by 300 feet. The closest lateral proximity between ACA759 and one of the four aircraft on
Taxiway C was 29 feet. The NTSB is investigating."
That appears a tad more dangerous than Harrison ford, but I'm certainly no expert ---

ditar
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ditar »

I can see how this might all be a lot of hoopla about nothing. Flying the approach offset to the right is the correct procedure. I've landed 28R before and kept it offset maybe a little longer than necessary due to another airplane off my left wingtip. Given that 28R is not the usual departure runway, the crew of an aircraft waiting on the taxiway might have gotten nervous. I guess the question is if the AC crew knew where they were going why did they think there were lights where there shouldn't be. It's possible there are a few important facts missing here.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”