AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

Post by confusedalot »

Cat Driver wrote:This is gripping drama and I can't wait for tomorrow to see how this evolves.

What did we do for entertainment before we had the internet?

See ya all tomorrow. :smt040
I'm out. Noise abatement is an unnecessary risk that leads to incidents and accidents, according to the experts. Sorry for the anticlimax boys and girls. Cheers from confusedalot, and cheerfully, I remain confused,...alot.

https://twitter.com/biiimurray/status/6 ... 16?lang=en
---------- ADS -----------

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

I guess that twitter post shows the level of arguments I have to deal with here. I back mine up with a link on this subject to the Flight Safety Foundation versus someone backing theirs up with a link to.........Bill Murray.

Back to SFO I suppose.

This link shows a time lapse of the arrival in SFO and you can see some of the taxiway aircraft turning on brighter lights.

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5969 ... ost9867575

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

pelmet wrote:I guess that twitter post shows the level of arguments I have to deal with here. I back mine up with a link on this subject to the Flight Safety Foundation versus someone backing theirs up with a link to.........Bill Murray.

Back to SFO I suppose.

This link shows a time lapse of the arrival in SFO and you can see some of the taxiway aircraft turning on brighter lights.

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5969 ... ost9867575
The NTSB final report will settle it.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

So here I am on a sleepless night reading my level of media, the onion, and drifting here.....

Yes the NTSB will settle the issue.

No one is disputing the pavement misidentification. To their credit, the crew clearly stated the error to the NTSB.

Not much more to say I'm afraid.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

I'm sure you guys could drum up 24 more pages...

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

'97 Tercel wrote:I'm sure you guys could drum up 24 more pages...

:lol: :lol:

Could be an ongoing competition with that PPRune site as they have 49 pages(and counting) on the same subject.............

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Well Pprune may not be a Canadian site but it sure has a lot of posters and non members who read it.

Air Canada is sort of in a " hard place " as far as this event goes publicity wise because it just does not seem to be going away.

But silence on their part is understandable because they are waiting for the final report to come out, so are a lot of people in aviation.

For me personally the part I can not understand it how they could not see any of the aircraft on the taxiway during the approach and go around.......

...assuming the reports that they claimed they did not see them are factual.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Cat Driver wrote:Well Pprune may not be a Canadian site but it sure has a lot of posters and non members who read it.

Air Canada is sort of in a " hard place " as far as this event goes publicity wise because it just does not seem to be going away.

But silence on their part is understandable because they are waiting for the final report to come out, so are a lot of people in aviation.

For me personally the part I can not understand it how they could not see any of the aircraft on the taxiway during the approach and go around.......

...assuming the reports that they claimed they did not see them are factual.
Yep, that PPrune site certainly popular and needless to say, lots of individuals with plenty of knowledge on all subjects. However the 49 pages on this subject has much speculation with the usual " may have, 'tis possible, could be , whatever, would be, should have, didn't do etc., etc". I am not a member(never was) and have no interest posting there

As mentioned previously, the NTSB final report will spell it out and I will certainly read it when released

By your leave.

boogs82
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by boogs82 »

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The parallel Runway 28L was closed at the time of the incident with its lights turned off and a flashing yellow “X” in place near the approach end. ATIS information “Quebec” included an advisory at the time that Runway 28 Left was closed and that its approach lighting system was out of service. Lights for taxiway Charlie were turned on to a default setting that included green centerline lights along its length and blue edge lights.
During the post-incident interviews, both Air Canada pilots said they believed the lighted runway on their left was Runway 28L and that they were lined up for Runway 28R. They also stated that they did not recall seeing aircraft on taxiway Charlie, but that something did not look right to them.

Did not see the flashing X, did not see any airplanes on the taxiway.

Well something is not right for sure and I am hoping the truth will come out eventually.
An earlier FAA memo reported that near landings on the wrong runway, or on a taxiway, normally average about 24 per year. The memo said that number increased to more than 60 in 2016.
I am thinking that I will take a train or bus or drive because aviation is just getting to risky to take the chance of flying.

An increase in mistakes on approaches and landings of almost three times the amount is very concerning.

Flying should be getting more safe, not more risky.

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Old fella.

My comment about Pprune was only meant to point out that Air Canada has gotten a lot of bad publicity from the ongoing discussion.

Avcanada has had 23,465 views on this subject.

Pprune has had 263,437 views, win lose or draw that is a lot of bad publicity.

I am not suggesting you join Pprune.

For me it is where I go to read comments on most subjects that involve commercial aviation.

I guess we all are prone to lean towards the culture we are most familiar with.

It as been a long time since I had anything to do with aviation in Canada so I just naturally read Pprune .

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Cat Driver wrote:Old fella.

My comment about Pprune was only meant to point out that Air Canada has gotten a lot of bad publicity from the ongoing discussion.

I am not suggesting you join Pprune.

For me it is where I go to read comments on most subjects that involve commercial aviation.

I guess we all are prone to lean towards the culture we are most familiar with.

It as been a long time since I had anything to do with aviation in Canada so I just naturally read Pprune .
In the aviation blogs, yes AC did get and still getting bad publicity no doubt about that. Not convinced though it is still carrying on amongst general travelling public as the "what if" incidents like this do fade in short order. Just my observation.

As for PPrune, yes I agree it is a good spot to go on things International commercial aviation, unlike you I have no experience on international flying of any kind and can't really relate to any of the topics. I go there occasionally to view commentary on crashes in parts of the world iI am not familiar with. Yes, even though speculatory in nature such commentary is interesting reading by the many who have no doubt forgotten more in one week on aviation than I will ever know in my lifetime.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Old fella it is not my intention to suggest you are in any way inferior to those of us who ended up flying internationally.

Flying an airplane is not brain surgery, any person with normal reflexes and normal IQ can learn to fly any aircraft.

One of the posters today is of the opinion that there is to much coddling of pilots who screw up and that crew should have been fired, using the logic they were responsible for the safety of the flight and let it get that close to a major accident.....and then claimed they could not see the airplanes or the flashing yellow X.

The poster has a point.

Cliff Jumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cliff Jumper »

Cat Driver wrote: that crew should have been fired
Cat Driver wrote:The poster has a point.
How would that make aviation safer?

How would that prevent it from happening again?

Are you suggesting that firing this crew would send a message to other crews to smarten up and not be so foolish?

Surely that's not it, so what are you suggesting?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Cat Driver wrote:Old fella it is not my intention to suggest you are in any way inferior to those of us who ended up flying internationally.

Flying an airplane is not brain surgery, any person with normal reflexes and normal IQ can learn to fly any aircraft.

One of the posters today is of the opinion that there is to much coddling of pilots who screw up and that crew should have been fired, using the logic they were responsible for the safety of the flight and let it get that close to a major accident.....and then claimed they could not see the airplanes or the flashing yellow X.

The poster has a point.
If this was the same story, but an Asian crew, Asian airline, many posts here would be singing a totally different tune.

Wouldn't see an ounce of "coddling" or "understanding".

Last edited by rookiepilot on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

In school, Often there is no failing grade and in one case, the students get to choose their grade! So why cant we have this sort of modernism in the cockpit? :roll:

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Here are two more comments, the second comment is quite interesting because if they had been fired those people would still be alive.

FIRE them. Did you see what happened to the drivers from the 777 crash at Dubai..FIRED.
Did you see that the NTSB report showed the driver of the Cogan disaster repeatedly failed, yet was still driving. FIRE THEM.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Cat Driver wrote:Old fella it is not my intention to suggest you are in any way inferior to those of us who ended up flying internationally.

The poster has a point.
No sir, no offence taken, none at all. Just a tact admission there are pilots out there who know a hell of a lot more than me. I will put you in that category, do I consider myself inferior to you no, certainly not. Do you , because of your international experience consider yourself superior to me, probably not.

When a commercial airliner lines itself up on a taxiway instead of the active runway there is some link in the chain that got seriously broken. How and why is beyond my scope.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

How and why is beyond my scope.
Well there are not very many reasons why, it was either a flaw in the airplane systems, a flaw in the airport systems or pilot error. Or a combination of all of them.

Pilot error can also be failing to catch the system error if one existed.

Remember this was a two crew major airline operation and the approach was a VFR approach, is it possible in 2017 VFR approaches to a major airport are to difficult and should not be approved?

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Cat Driver wrote:
How and why is beyond my scope.
Well there are not very many reasons why, it was either a flaw in the airplane systems, a flaw in the airport systems or pilot error. Or a combination of all of them.

Pilot error can also be failing to catch the system error if one existed.

Remember this was a two crew major airline operation and the approach was a VFR approach, is it possible in 2017 VFR approaches to a major airport are to difficult and should not be approved?
Well, I will leave it to the NTSB. My commentary on this incident is all but exhausted, so time for me to wind it up.

Cheers Mate.
:)

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”