AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18857
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Re: AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

#701 Post by Cat Driver » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:48 pm

It seems odd to me that after making the contributions that your cohort have to making this probably the safest mode of transportation on earth that you would make a statement like that. Airline travel in most of the world is safer today than it was 30 or 40 years ago. The statistics speak for themselves.
Yes I am very well aware that flying is getting safer as time passes.
Like I have said a few times, I am beginning to think I would feel more confident taking a train or a bus or just drive myself.
That statement is meant to be tongue in cheek. :mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------
Last edited by Cat Driver on Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

User avatar
rookiepilot
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 472
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Re: AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

#702 Post by rookiepilot » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:51 pm

Rockie wrote:It takes radical misuse of their position and/or gross repeated negligence or criminal conduct on the part of a doctor or lawyer to goad the college or bar into action and you know it. If that bar is crossed in our profession there will be criminal charges. Do you think that bar has been crossed?
Well, in the financial industry, it is a public execution, as it should be for wilful negligence. In that arena I have a ton more respect for the SEC than the spineless -- what else is new in the socialist paradise of Canada -- OSC.

Screw up down there and its jail, pal. Here? A slap on the wrist and a "don't do it again" lecture.

Wouldn't shock me at all if aviation was the same. Except behind closed doors, "for our own good".

Canada is so much more of an old boys club (or girls for all you Wynne supporters)
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 6007
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:47 pm
Location: Part of the "me, me, me" crowd, and loving every second of it.

Re: AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

#703 Post by photofly » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:56 pm

Rockie wrote:It takes radical misuse of their position and/or gross repeated negligence or criminal conduct on the part of a doctor or lawyer to goad the college or bar into action and you know it.
Actually, no it doesn't, at all. Any single act of negligence or professional misconduct will do. As it should, and as you would want it to, if you felt you'd received negligent care from your doctor, or negligent advice from your lawyer.

You don't know how protected your industry is.

Nobody is asking for the names of the pilots, but if it comes down to pilot error it's not inconceivable that AC reveals publicly that the pilots have been dismissed, or lost seniority, or required to retrain. It would be sensible, for the public to maintain confidence in AC's pilot selection and training procedures.
---------- ADS -----------
Last edited by photofly on Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Control the horizon, control the airplane

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

#704 Post by Rockie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:04 pm

I read the news Photofly and have for a very long time. The College of Physicians does not eject doctors for mistakes because they are made ALL THE TIME. If they did there would be no doctors. Multiply that by 1000 for lawyers. What they are dismissed for, and only reluctantly, is gross repeated criminal behavior. Deny it if you want but you only make yourselves look silly.

What exactly is your mission here with this incident anyway? Is it the truth?

Psssst..,Investigation
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 6007
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:47 pm
Location: Part of the "me, me, me" crowd, and loving every second of it.

Re: AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

#705 Post by photofly » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:09 pm

Rockie wrote:I read the news Photofly and have for a very long time. The College of Physicians does not eject doctors for mistakes because they are made ALL THE TIME. If they did there would be no doctors. Multiply that by 1000 for lawyers. What they are dismissed for, and only reluctantly, is gross repeated criminal behavior. Deny it if you want but you only make yourselves look silly.

What exactly is your mission here with this incident anyway? Is it the truth?

Psssst..,Investigation
I don't think you read the news as carefully as you think you do- there are dozens of cases of doctors receiving all sorts of sanctions well short of being struck off, for all sorts of mistakes.

And no, acts of negligence are not made by doctors or lawyers ALL THE TIME. When they are negligent, after investigation, there are a range of sanctions. All those are made public.

And there are also punishments AC can issue which are less severe than dismissal. It would be prudent for AC to reveal if the pilots are sanctioned.
---------- ADS -----------
Control the horizon, control the airplane

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

#706 Post by Rockie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:15 pm

photofly wrote:And no, acts of negligence are not made by doctors or lawyers ALL THE TIME. When they are negligent, after investigation, there are a range of sanctions. All those are made public.
Read what I said, I said mistakes.
photofly wrote:And there are also punishments AC can issue which are less severe than dismissal. It would be prudent for AC to reveal if the pilots are sanctioned.
No, it wouldn't.
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
rookiepilot
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 472
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Re: AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

#707 Post by rookiepilot » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:18 pm

Rockie wrote:
photofly wrote:And there are also punishments AC can issue which are less severe than dismissal. It would be prudent for AC to reveal if the pilots are sanctioned.
No, it wouldn't.
Father knows best. Sit down, shut up, children.
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18857
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Re: AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

#708 Post by Cat Driver » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:24 pm

Father knows best. Sit down, shut up, children.
It is difficult to know if Rockie is arrogant or just plain ignorant on the subject of public perception.

I wonder what Air Canada as a company thinks of him coming across as their flag carrier on the internet? :roll:
---------- ADS -----------
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

User avatar
rookiepilot
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 472
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Re: AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

#709 Post by rookiepilot » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:25 pm

photofly wrote:
Rockie wrote:It takes radical misuse of their position and/or gross repeated negligence or criminal conduct on the part of a doctor or lawyer to goad the college or bar into action and you know it.
Actually, no it doesn't, at all. Any single act of negligence or professional misconduct will do. As it should, and as you would want it to, if you felt you'd received negligent care from your doctor, or negligent advice from your lawyer.

You don't know how protected your industry is.

Nobody is asking for the names of the pilots, but if it comes down to pilot error it's not inconceivable that AC reveals publicly that the pilots have been dismissed, or lost seniority, or required to retrain. It would be sensible, for the public to maintain confidence in AC's pilot selection and training procedures.
I would want the names of the pilots, if any incident is shown to be a result of wilful negligence. Same standard as the Doctor, Lawyer, Financial Advisor.

You choose to work in a position of high public trust, you lose the privilege of privacy -- IF -- you willfully --- mess up.
---------- ADS -----------
Last edited by rookiepilot on Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

#710 Post by Rockie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:48 pm

Well rookie pilot, unless the pilots are charged with something you're not going to get their names. Be thankful for that if you ever find yourself in their unfortunate position. And since you mention it, how do you know they willfully messed up?

Chuck, what did I say about talking to me and not running off for mutual support like you always do? You're supposed to be the courageous crusader who gives his own real name over the internet. I'm right here...talk to me.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 6007
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:47 pm
Location: Part of the "me, me, me" crowd, and loving every second of it.

Re: AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

#711 Post by photofly » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:15 pm

I don't think you can have willful negligence, it's a contradiction. I don't think there's any suggestion of willful misconduct here.
rookiepilot wrote:
I would want the names of the pilots, if any incident is shown to be a result of wilful negligence. Same standard as the Doctor, Lawyer, Financial Advisor.
Until you can choose which pilot is assigned to your flight, there wouldn't be much point. In fact airlines go to extreme lengths not to have "hero pilots" and "zero pilots" - the public prefers to think that their safety isn't in the hands of individuals (even though it very much is) and that the airline safety machine irons out any human flaws. So all pilots must be perceived as equally skilled and equally competent.
---------- ADS -----------
Control the horizon, control the airplane

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

#712 Post by Rockie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:24 pm

photofly wrote:I don't think you can have willful negligence, it's a contradiction. I don't think there's any suggestion of willful misconduct here.
rookiepilot wrote:
I would want the names of the pilots, if any incident is shown to be a result of wilful negligence. Same standard as the Doctor, Lawyer, Financial Advisor.
Until you can choose which pilot is assigned to your flight, there wouldn't be much point. In fact airlines go to extreme lengths not to have "hero pilots" and "zero pilots" - the public prefers to think that their safety isn't in the hands of individuals (even though it very much is) and that the airline safety machine irons out any human flaws. So all pilots must be perceived as equally skilled and equally competent.
I disagree. Everybody knows in every business regardless of what it is there are varying degrees of skill and aptitude. The thing about flying though is does everybody meet the standards of Transport Canada as a minimum and the company they work for which is often higher as is the case with Air Canada. If they do, they're safe. Furthermore we are competency checked by Transport Canada every six months in the simulator (eight months under AQP) and once a year on the line in addition to annual ground school. And we undergo annual medical checkups to maintain our license. Can doctors, plumbers, electricians, car mechanics, tax experts, financial advisors, chiropractors lawyers etc. say the same?
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
Old fella
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1659
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:04 am

Re: AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

#713 Post by Old fella » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:35 pm

rookiepilot wrote:
photofly wrote:
Rockie wrote:It takes radical misuse of their position and/or gross repeated negligence or criminal conduct on the part of a doctor or lawyer to goad the college or bar into action and you know it.
Actually, no it doesn't, at all. Any single act of negligence or professional misconduct will do. As it should, and as you would want it to, if you felt you'd received negligent care from your doctor, or negligent advice from your lawyer.

You don't know how protected your industry is.

Nobody is asking for the names of the pilots, but if it comes down to pilot error it's not inconceivable that AC reveals publicly that the pilots have been dismissed, or lost seniority, or required to retrain. It would be sensible, for the public to maintain confidence in AC's pilot selection and training procedures.
I would want the names of the pilots, if any incident is shown to be a result of wilful negligence. Same standard as the Doctor, Lawyer, Financial Advisor.
You choose to work in a position of high public trust, you lose the privilege of privacy -- IF -- you willfully --- mess up.
Our 1000hr single engine boy/girl wonder speakith his Johnny Walker wisdom again.....
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
confusedalot
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 493
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:08 pm
Location: location, location, is what matters

Re: AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

#714 Post by confusedalot » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:09 pm

Uh...

Oh never mind. :smt014
---------- ADS -----------
Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

User avatar
rookiepilot
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 472
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Re: AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

#715 Post by rookiepilot » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:10 pm

Old fella wrote:
rookiepilot wrote:
photofly wrote: Actually, no it doesn't, at all. Any single act of negligence or professional misconduct will do. As it should, and as you would want it to, if you felt you'd received negligent care from your doctor, or negligent advice from your lawyer.

You don't know how protected your industry is.

Nobody is asking for the names of the pilots, but if it comes down to pilot error it's not inconceivable that AC reveals publicly that the pilots have been dismissed, or lost seniority, or required to retrain. It would be sensible, for the public to maintain confidence in AC's pilot selection and training procedures.
I would want the names of the pilots, if any incident is shown to be a result of wilful negligence. Same standard as the Doctor, Lawyer, Financial Advisor.
You choose to work in a position of high public trust, you lose the privilege of privacy -- IF -- you willfully --- mess up.
Our 1000hr single engine boy/girl wonder speakith his Johnny Walker wisdom again.....
:drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers:
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
Old fella
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1659
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:04 am

Re: AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

#716 Post by Old fella » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:40 pm

:weedman: :weedman:
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2802
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:48 pm

Re: AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

#717 Post by pelmet » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:11 pm

Here is an example of a method being used to prevent a line-up on the wrong runway. The US government charts(typically not used by the airlines) show both approach light designs on the same chart making it easy for the pilot to brief what to look for when it comes to the appearance of approach light systems. Take a look.....

http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/600508-a ... malsr.html

You have to scroll down just a tiny bit. A picture is worth a thousand words.
---------- ADS -----------

Post Reply

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”