Plane Crash Edenvale

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Matterhorn White
Rank 1
Rank 1

Plane Crash Edenvale

Post by Matterhorn White »

http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/mobile/no-inju ... -1.3512059

The pilot was not injured, according to police. A witness described the plane as a Tiger Moth.
---------- ADS -----------

Jungle Jim
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Plane Crash Edenvale

Post by Jungle Jim »

I was out there last night and from what i could see;

1) Both bottom wings broken
2) Left gear leg broken
3) Fuselage twisted
4) Lower nose bowl damaged
5) Prop scratched

I did notice the P lead wire was out of the crimped terminal end.

The engine stopped on climb out so there were limited options as to where to go. At least no one was hurt.

Jim

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

The ECAF Tiger Moth?

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Jungle Jim wrote:I was out there last night and from what i could see;

1) Both bottom wings broken
2) Left gear leg broken
3) Fuselage twisted
4) Lower nose bowl damaged
5) Prop scratched

I did notice the P lead wire was out of the crimped terminal end.

The engine stopped on climb out so there were limited options as to where to go. At least no one was hurt.

Jim
If it is the ECAF Moth, wouldn't that make it three engine failures in the last few years, two with significant damage? Very unfortunate but thankfully no injuries.

Speed drops off extremely quickly on those old biplanes leaving a pilot with not much in the way of options in the event of a low altitude power loss. Immediate or near immediate nose down reaction is required to avoid a stall. Easy to say but who knows how one will react when faced suddenly with a situation like this.

Not sure how a P-Lead wire would affect things. It could also be damage caused by the impact.

boogs82
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by boogs82 »

It is the ECAF Tiger Moth. It last went down in 2011. It won't be on display for the gathering of the classics on August 12th.

(Source www.simcoe.com)

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

"Speed drops off extremely quickly on those old biplanes leaving a pilot with not much in the way of options in the event of a low altitude power loss. Immediate or near immediate nose down reaction is required to avoid a stall. Easy to say but who knows how one will react when faced suddenly with a situation like this."

Indeed, however the Moth stalls nicely and recovers nicely when properly rigged, but it will spin if you try to lift a wing with the ailerons. While a nice push forward is important if the engine stops while nose up its equally important to stay co-ordinated while you do it. Unfortunately many pilots instinctively use the ailerons to pick up a wing during a stall and that will kill you in a lot of aircraft.

Hockaloogie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hockaloogie »

This aircraft flies over my house almost every day, and is easily identified by the sound of the Gipsy engine. I've flown in it, although not as PIC. Here's hoping "Audrey" isn't too bent.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

C-GSTP, a privately operated de Havilland DH82A Tiger Moth aircraft, departed from Runway 17 at Edenvale, ON (CNV8) and experienced a power loss at approximately 200 feet AGL. The pilot carried out a forced approach to the field beside the grass strip. The aircraft landed hard, damaging the landing gear and airframe. The pilot was not injured.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”